View Full Version : What kind of collet is this?

08-12-2003, 11:53 PM
I just bought an old Bickett milling machine. It came with a half-inch collet and a drawbar. I would like to buy some more collets but need to know what kind they are. Do you know of any sites where I could go to compare collet measurements?

Here is what I have measured:

length 2.25 inches
diameter at base .650
diameter at flare end .84
it has 3/8 24 drawbar threads
and a 1/8 by 3/4 keyway

Any help would be appreciated,

08-13-2003, 03:40 AM
Don't know what that is. Check here to see if you see yours:




08-13-2003, 06:39 AM
If you poke around on the Hardinge website, you'll also find a pile of information about collets.

Paul Alciatore
08-13-2003, 05:05 PM
I checked Machinery's Handbook, 26th edition. They have three pages of collet specs listed but I found none matching your measurements. The closest one was a 3PN with a base diameter of .650" a length of 2.063" and a external thread .645 x 24. From the numbers I assume yours is an internal thread.

Thing about collets is anyone can and many frequently have made up their own designs. You may have to make your own or find a shop to do it. At least you have one for a pattern.

Paul A.

08-14-2003, 02:06 AM

08-15-2003, 10:33 PM
I just added some pics to my website. Two pics of the new baby, a Bickett mill. One pic of the collet, the drawbar, and a random 1/2 inch tool. And one pic of all three assesembled.



08-16-2003, 09:40 AM
That is a neat looking little machine. Probably more of a jig bore than a mill, but will serve as either.
If the collet is straight as it appears, it is possibly a B&S 7. The keyway is not standard on these however.