PDA

View Full Version : Observations with My New Enco Centering Scope

debequem
08-15-2003, 10:14 AM
My centering scope arrived yesterday and I have had a short amount of time to evaluate it.

First, this is a mixed bag. The scope is made in Korea and appears to be pretty good. However, I have run into a few snags and not all of them are the fault of the scope.

First, the scope has a calibration adjustment for run out. However, it is only adjustable in one axis. The other axis is fixed. I need to do some testing to see if the fixed axis is really accurate or not. The adjustable axis is set by aligning the reticule with a scribed line on a piece of work. Then you rotate the quill 180 degrees and check for the alignment of the reticule to the line from the other direction. If the alignment is correct, the line should run through the reticule centerline. If not, then the knurled nut on the bottom is adjusted until ½ the distance of the offset is achieved and the process repeated. Here in is the rub.

My mill/drill has a large end for its quill and the centering scopes eyepiece will not clear the front of the quill. No problem, I’ll just use it side to side. Well the left side is sort of workable, but the right side is impossible to see because the handle of the quill’s vertical travel is blocking the view. To do this I must remove the 3 handles and adjust the height with the wheel.

Back to the left side. The quill’s locking arm is right in your face, so it is a nuisance to work around. I hate mill/drills, but I can’t get a 2,000-lb. Bridgeport down my basement steps. :={

You need to make this adjustment each time you use the tool to compensate for run out. So much for time-saving devices.

I almost wish that the quill had a hole bored through the shaft’s centerline with a set of optics built inside and a CCD camera at the top. :-/

I am now giving some serious thought to building my own scope with a camera interface. On the other hand, time building silly tools could be time making money building parts.

Cass
08-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Putting a web camera or some other low cost camera on the eyepiece might work.
Another idea that comes to put a right angle mirror on the eyepiece. The right angle mirror is referred to as a "diagonal" by the amateur astronmer crowd. They come with a mirror or prism in a housing with barrels on each end for attachment with a set screw. You could take off the eyepiece can put in the diagonal and then put the eyepiece on the other end of the diagonal. Another thought is to send the thing back and look for a different type that works with your machine, I know this is boring and practical but it might be the best option.

debequem
08-15-2003, 11:36 AM
He, he. NOW I finally have a good use for my Mead 10" Schmidt since I moved to the woods!!!

It may go back, and will if it has an alignment problem with the fixed axis.

debequem
08-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Well, I have gone through the alignment process and here is what I have found. I printed an X on a paper with my laser printer and laid it on the table:

1) I was able to align the adjustable axis after I removed the three spoke wheel from the vertical quill. The alignment was easy enough and seems spot on.

2) The non-adjustable axis is about 0.003" off. That is a disappointment. I don't know if I can do anything about it, but it would seem that it should be adjustable.

I have a theory. Maybe adjusting the non-adjustable axis is not required. Maybe rotating the quill shaft 90 degrees is all I need to do. Does anyone have any advice?

The problem with rotating the quill axis 90 degrees is that I can't. The front of the mills quill has a large nut that interferes with the eyepiece of the scope. I can rotate it so the eyepiece is in the back, but I can't get my head back there to see it. I can only see from either side and that is only after I remove stuff from the mill!

I am not sure that this device has any value. I am open to advice since I never used one of these before.

Marv

JCHannum
08-16-2003, 03:54 PM
I picked up a similar one by SPI at an auction a couple of days ago. i haven't tried it yet, but have come to the same conclusion, it's use is limited without access from all sides of mill or drill.
Mine has only one line, you zero it by same method, and then use at 90* point for other axis.