PDA

View Full Version : Real Safe Safe, hey locksmiths look out

ibewgypsie
07-22-2003, 07:45 PM
My neighbor that recently passed away. WEll he had this safe to keep all his papers safe.

His kids cleaned it out. Looking at it, it would not lock. opening the door, it came off in my hand, playing with the digital lock it worked and thumped. It would not lock.

Taking the back off the door, well shucks and golly gee, the solonoid that locks the slide operated by a plastic knob on the front, was held by 3 #6 sheetmetal screws. It was tore loose, in other words someone turned the plastic knob hard enough to break the "real strong lock". What a "Piece of Crap"

"Brand"=Hyundai "Model"=Scimitar "money"= Wasted

It used to be a federal offense to break into a safe, I guess not now. The police gave me thier sympathy for my friend's death.

I need to fill a hole in some concrete, or maybe make me a rod heater out of this piece of crap with a light bulb, now that will be a talk starter, the crazy electrician-welder who values his rods so highly he puts them into a safe..........

Thrud
07-23-2003, 02:44 AM
Those things are designed more to survive a minor fire than to keep blood thirsty vultures looking for booty honest.

A good electronic lock like they put on cash machines in banks or large gunsafes will keep out anyone that does not know how to disable it (its a secret way to open them if the combo is lost or the lock fails). The good ones have a battery, but you can also wind the bezel to "charge" the lock. These are typically 12-20 digit high security locks (cost me $500 or more each) used on commercial safes $100,000+ ratings

crypto
07-23-2003, 06:40 AM
Dave,

Is that where you keep your store of meatloafs?

wierdscience
07-23-2003, 10:32 PM
A buddy of mine rigged his with a pellet rifle co/2 can and a bottle of copier toner,he reasoned it wouldn't hurt them,it would just mark'm real good you know make'm easy to spot,and you know what?it did,he forgot about it and he was off-black for a week http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Ibew,I geuss what you are saying is if you want a good safe get a box of Crackerjacks :Oh,forgot to mention,my boss took his wife to a Hellen Brat jewlry show one time,she had to show ID,sales recipts,tax number and practicly submit to a polygraph to get in,well he was bored so he decides to check out the other shows at the conevtion center,right next door to the Brat show was the locksmiths expo!He walked right in no ID nothing,they had car doors setup,safe cracking equipment,drill templets for combination dials a descabler for class cards you name it,he bought spring keys,various picks,and an entire car door kit no questions asked! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifi Geuss they figure its job security http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 07-23-2003).]

Thrud
07-24-2003, 12:27 AM
Oscar
Hell no, no one in their right mind would steal that stuff - a burniung bag of doggy poo they might steal! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

WS
Here in Canada that is a booby trap and a 20 year sentance - even if non-lethal. After all, we have to protect the rights of criminals who are just trying to make a dishonest living. But I am not bitter... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

jfsmith
07-25-2003, 03:16 AM
I got a hold of an ATM safe, Sargeabt and Gree Lee mechanizm. The safe cost me $50 from the bank surplus. I had a back plate welded on to it for another $50

If a theft wants to cart it away, they will find that it weighs more than 750 pounds of stainless steel. If you try to do a safe door pull job on it, you will permanetly jam the door closed.

I like it. Plus I have a couple of true fire safes around for papers and what nots.You want a golden rod to keep things dry. If you plug the hold, use Bondo or some other plastic materials. The Concrete projects some moisture into the safe.

Jerry

ChipWright
07-25-2003, 11:53 AM
It is commonly advised to keep moisture absorbers inside any safe that is storing paper. I use a product called "DampRid" that turns from granuals into liquid as its use is expended.

Some safes have anchoring holes underneath them and its wise to seal these from air with some clay.

We tend to change the moisture absorbers about 3 or 4 times a year and it works well. This would depend up on climate, use and seals.

[This message has been edited by ChipWright (edited 07-26-2003).]

Locksmith
08-16-2003, 07:18 PM
jfsmith: I doubt that it's Stainless steel. They are usually steel with "Hardplate" protecting the the lock.
Be realistic. How much balls would you have to have to try to crack a ATM safe in an exposed location?
Chipwright: Check your instructions about the damp- rid. When a fire safe is in a fire it is supposed to release moisture from the filling to keep the temperature below 451 degrees( when paper ignites). If you succeed in removing all the moisture from the inside of the safe you may remove it's fire protection abilities.
If you doubt this, try sweating a pipe with moisture in it.

CCWKen
08-16-2003, 08:55 PM
LOL ... "Be realistic. How much balls would you have to have to try to crack a ATM safe in an exposed location?"

Around here they steal a backhoe or tractor, trash the building and steal the whole ATM machine. They drop it into the back of a pickup and drive off. ... to be opened somewhere else.

jfsmith
08-17-2003, 01:47 AM
I have a former ATM safe, I welded a back plate on the safe, this was where the electronics and the money distribution used to be.

It has a Sargeant/Greenly lock on it, it has some holes for something to go thru, they can be plugged with a stick welder and some steel stock.

But if one person can pick this safe up, I will give it to them. This thing is about 1,000 pounds.

BTW I paid $50 for the safe, $65 for the back plate and about $20 for the nickle electrodes I used to weld the back plate on with.

Jerry

Locksmith
08-17-2003, 02:32 AM
CCWken,
You're right, but I meant, sitting there, in a glass paneled room, trying to open the safe, in full view of any passing people, cars or Cops.
If you haul it away, that's a teensy bit different. "There is no human problem that can't be solved by the right amount of high explosive". Don't know where I read that.

Locksmith
08-17-2003, 02:37 AM
Jerry,
I would be very careful about using a firesafe that had been drilled and repaired as the heat can enter through a poorly repaired hole and burn up what's inside.

jfsmith
08-17-2003, 02:58 AM
I keep my expensive welding rods and quality metals like my ultra thin copper and some tools in my safe. If I used it as a fire box, I would repair the holes and then cast the whole thing in the high temp chimney type of cememt.

But it's there to keep things fairly safe and the holes allow my golden rod to be used.

If anyone want to pick it up, be my guest, but do it at your own risk.

Jerry