PDA

View Full Version : found leblond lathe, maybe?

chip's
02-14-2009, 02:58 PM
I am grateful for all the replies about my lathe values question, thanks to all.

I think I may have found a leblond 16x60, I am not sure if it is a regal or not. I was just e mailed a photo. It looks ok but it is 1200 miles from me, so I would be taking the sellers word for the condition of it. He wants about 1700.00 for it and I think the shipping would be about 1100.00. Do any of you have good ideas on the purchase of a machine without being able to inspect it? Thanks again for all the help,

Chip's

Walter
02-14-2009, 03:25 PM
find someone close to go inspect it for you, $2800.00 is not worth risking. quite possibly someone on the boards might be willing to go look at it for you for the cost of gas... =)

BigBoy1
02-14-2009, 03:27 PM
If I were you, I would consider a trip to inspect the lathe in person. Spending $2800 to have a large escapee from the scrap heap shipped to your door is not a good idea. If you have a friend with a truck and trailer, consider making a trip with him to visit the lathe. If the lathe is worth the money, then haul it home, other wise you have paid for a trip but not ended up with a large piece of scrap metal.

Many internal gears and bearing could be broken/frozen and the picture not show it. Motor could be gone or not working. The list of potential problems goes on and on. Nothing will beat an "on-site" inspection.

Just my $0.02.

Bill

Lew Hartswick
02-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Another case of "not knowing where anyone is" Or the lathe.
There are lots of very helpful folks around if given a chance.
...lew...

chip's
02-14-2009, 05:24 PM
I would have stated location before, I never thought about someone here being able to look at it. I don't know why I didn't either. There are great folks here and I know I would do the same for someone else. I will probably never get the chance though. as there is nothing much around here to be found.
I would be grateful if someone could look at it for me. I don't think there is any way that I would be able to go and look at it,(as much as I would like to.). I am in Idaho and the lathe is in Nebraska.
The seller is to call me back Monday with info. if it is still available and location. I would be more than happy to pay for someone's fuel to look at it, if I can get everything sorted out to be able to buy it. If all is worked out It would be wonderful to have a good opinion on the lathe I would be able to be sure of.

Bill Pace
02-14-2009, 06:44 PM
With the availiability of digital camers and the computer there is no reason the seller couldnt take pictures of every thing on or around the lathe and you therefore getting a quite good idea of its condition. Ask for close ups of the ways especially near the headstock, have him open any panels and take shots, closeups of any and everything, shots of the chucks,collets, tool post, etc!! This is too simple a thing for a seller to do not to want to if he wants to make a sale and isnt hiding something.

Last year I bought a 2 year old truck with 25000 miles through a dealer 300 miles away strictly from photos emailed to me. He took pics from every angle imaginable and every thing imaginable, some 28-30 shots. And then I turned that around and took 15-20 of my vehicle, sent them to him and worked up a trade ... all through the computer. When I picked up the truck it was exactly what I expected.

Its still not like touching/feeling/seeing but its sure beats word of mouth

carlquib
02-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi Chips,

I am in Idaho too. I wouldn't spend that much for shipping and a lathe without being able to look first. There is a lot of iron around this state if you know where to look. What part of the state are you located in? I might be able to steer you to a machine that will cost less and you will be able to inspect first. I just picked up a tool and cutter grinder in Boise and the place had several different lathes for sale, several that were in very good shape. If you are interested send me a pm and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

-brian

mark61
02-15-2009, 11:45 AM
I would have stated location before, I never thought about someone here being able to look at it. I don't know why I didn't either.

Easiest way to do this is just add it to your profile so it shows up every time you post.

mark61

chip's
02-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks to all. PM sent to carlquib. The seller called me back today lathe was already sold.