PDA

View Full Version : What kind of steel to use

GregP42
02-15-2009, 01:27 AM
I need to make two new pins for my rolling block, but I have no idea what kind of metal to use. This is my first real try to make something besides chips and a mess on the bench :o So I really have no idea what to use, and will I need to have it hardened or not. The pins are the one the hammer and breachblock ride on.

Thanks for any ideas or help
Greg

JCHannum
02-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Drill rod is recommended for replacing the pins. It requires no hardening.

Depending on how badly worn the holes in the receiver, hammer and breech block are, it might be necessary to lap them out and turn oversize pins to tighten the action up. The pins should be a tight push fit through the receiver.

GregP42
02-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Jim,

Thanks, I will pick up some drill rod this week then. The old pins are still tight, but they have no heads on them and I had to have keepers on both sides to keep them from working out and having one work out partway is a real pain in the backside.

Greg

bj139
02-15-2009, 12:42 PM
I read that old drill bits are good for pins. It is just drill rod.

tdmidget
02-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Uh, no. Any drill worth having( there is no such thing as a drill "bit", just look in any catalog and see that they sell "drills" not "bits") is made of high speed steel. Drill rod is usually O-1. It might or might not work but the shank of a drill, the only part of a drill remotely suitable for a pin, is not hardened at all so that a chuck can grip it. This looks like an application for case hardening.

JCHannum
02-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Drill rod, unhardened is recommended by Frank DeHaas, one of the most referenced authors when it comes to single shot rifles, their gunsmithing and repair.

38_Cal
02-18-2009, 11:06 AM
I would try to find LaSalle Stressproof steel for this application. Requires no heat treatment, excellent shock and rotational wear resistance.

David
Montezuma, IA

GregP42
02-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys,

I am still learning about all this stuff. I have several of Frank's books on single shots, but didn't notice him saying what kind of steel to use. If I used soft steel and then did a treatment in caseinite (I think that is the spelling) you don't think it might warp? I will look for LeSalle and see if they have it at the local place here, if not I will try to get the O-1 drill rod as I am pretty sure I have seen that in there.

Thanks again for all the information and help.
Greg

JCHannum
02-18-2009, 12:19 PM
The information I quoted is from the Dehaas "Mr. Singleshot's Gunsmithing Idea Book".

Stressproof or 1144 is good steel. It machines beautifully.

Rusty Marlin
02-23-2009, 12:33 PM
The information I quoted is from the Dehaas "Mr. Singleshot's Gunsmithing Idea Book".

Stressproof or 1144 is good steel. It machines beautifully.

And hardends easily in an oil quench.

Bob Ford
02-24-2009, 07:08 PM
You do not want the pins hard. Think shatter or receiver wear. Drill rod or stress proof unhardened. Pins are easy to make. Repairing receive not as easy.

Bob

Boucher
03-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Bobs comment on the material hardness was a very appropriate and important one. Brownells used to sell some good material assortments. Talk to them. Their tech support was good.