PDA

View Full Version : Running your own auction bid up on ebay.

ibewgypsie
08-17-2003, 01:59 AM
Ethics? Most business people don't have any. I think that has become the american way.

When I ebay I look at who has been bidding on the items sold by seller. If they have the same bidder over and over, and he does not participate in other auctions. Odds are that he is the seller under a anonymous name.

Not very nice for someone wanting a bargain, ebays real purpose. (okay, tirade over) I was wanting to purchase some english wheel anvils instead of standing over the lathe again. My last ones dissapeared with some hired help. I have been hoping to buy them back on ebay.. ha ha.. yeah..

Anyone got access to a cnc lathe?

SJorgensen
08-17-2003, 03:14 AM
IBew,
If you can show that some bidder only bids on one sellers auctions it might be good to alert the Ebay officials of the shill activity. I only hope they are actively self-regulating. I would be pissed if I noticed that.

Spence

CompositeEngr
08-17-2003, 03:40 AM
I don't know if I'm stupid or what, but things like bidding on my own auction just don't occur to me.

Alistair Hosie
08-17-2003, 07:31 AM
I tell you guys I personnally don't think Ebay would give a damn. They are only interested in Money money money and would turn a blind eye to this I could tell you a few horror stories like a friend of mine who bought a T V from ebay, never got it. and ebay did everything they could to be awkward. They never paid him from their insurance, found every trick in the book to excuse themselves from paying out .Alistair

KenS
08-17-2003, 08:36 AM
Ebay looks at the amount of revenue they receive from a seller's activity and that influences their enforcement. Shill bidding is definitely against their rules but big sellers seldom are investigated.

Be suspicious of any high volume seller who starts auctions for nominal amounts. Usually you'll see one or more low feedback bidders come in during the auction and jack the price up to an amount which would be the seller's minimum requirement. They don't want to go so high that they won't be outbid by some innocent at the end. No profit in paper sales to your own alternative userIDs.

Any AOL member can register eight different IDs without even a rudimentary check by ebay, and can change them as often as they like. The two, AOL and ebay are sleeping together.

DR
08-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Guys,

I don't understand all the griping about ebay.

If you want to buy an item all you have to do is establish the maximum amount you're willing to pay for it. Bid accordingly.

If you don't get the item it can be disappointing, but what the heck? You didn't get it because it was more than you were willing to pay. So what's the problem?

IMO, it operates just like a retail store. If there are shills think of them the same way as you would the store owner's markup. If the shills (store woner's markup) make the item more than you want to pay, walk away.

I buy about 2 items a month on ebay. Some are better deals than others, but I never pay more than I'm willing to.

Another thing, I keep hearing about how high the prices are on ebay. Well, for the tooling I'm buying it's a bargain compared to retail. I do notice a tendency for the prices to be creeping up as more individuals start using the service, still a very good resource. Where else can I find this assortment of items for sale without even leaving my home?

ibewgypsie
08-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Actually, I awoke up the next day, am still peed' off.

Looking for a decent reply for the seller, I probably should just bid it way up with a pair of anonymous names *large ebay fees*, then post very negative feedback to make it visible.

But then, that would be dishonest! I sleep quite well at nights.

wierdscience
08-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Well said Dr.Its still buyer be ware anyway,I find that ebay only takes care of the most obvious offenses first and the shilling and other things like it take a back seat,not because they don't care but because of volume ,just think about how many complaints they must have and how many poeple they have to deal with them.

I have been shilled before and went back and retracted my bid,this got the attention of the seller and they contacted me directly vial e-mail.one guy got all pissed but did nothing about it because he knew he was guilty and the other admitted nothing but gave it to me for the price I bid.

As with any system though you will have chinks in the armour,I have noticed to that most of the out and out thievery takes place in the electronics catagorys,everybody I know that has been screwed has got it royal from some flimflam artist selling a laptop and the charging $200.00 for shipping.

SteveC
08-17-2003, 07:29 PM
As for as prices on e-bay, here is my 2 cents worth.
When I go to e-bay I’m looking for a good deal. I don’t want to pay the maximum. If I did, I would go to the store, where I can see and hold in my hand what I’m buying. It is kinda like a garage sale. I might not really need the item, but if it’s cheap enough I’ll buy it.
I keep a Grizzly or Harbor Freight catalog handy, and when I see an item on e-bay that I’m interested in, I check the price. Sometimes the e-bay price is over retail.
The other big problem with e-bay is 90 % of the tools are from commercial retailers. They have no choice but to sell at or near retail prices. What most people are looking for are garage sale prices. You know, like I have and old tool I don’t need anymore, and rather than pitch it in the trash, I sell in on e-bay for a couple of bucks.
But with that said, I do spend a lot of time on e-bay looking for deals. There are a lot of tools there.

Steve

L Webb
08-17-2003, 08:11 PM
WS has it right. Let the seller know you think you have been shilled.
Don't rely on ebay to do anything about it. These people doing the shilling think they are smarter than most of us. In reality, they are pretty stupid and leave an obvious trail.

I followed one particular machine offered by a dealer in my area. Every single time the high bidder ended up being a newly registered bidder. The machine was re-listed with some excuse as to why the previous deal fell through. Finally, the machine was never re-listed and glowing positive feedback was left by both parties after an apparent sale.

I had printed out the info on the machine including the photo of the builders plate. Several months after the sale, the machine was still sitting in the dealers store when I went there.
It was still there a couple of months ago which is nearly 2 years later. That is either awful slow shipping or the dealer was using a shill bidder. I think I can figure that one out.

I will never buy anything from that dealer.

Les

Greg Latvala
08-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Rules for eBay
Know what something is worth.
Dont get into a bidding war.
If you want something make one bid with 15 seconds to go at what you are willing to pay.
Dont get emotionally attached to something.

ibewgypsie
08-17-2003, 09:19 PM
Well, bidding is okay, getting played by someone wanting to run thier prices up is another.

After bidding and figuring out someone is bidding on thier own items, well you are not really sure you will get it.

I went to Washington DC to get some harley parts I won on ebay. After I got back home and was cleaning up I found blood all over the front wheel I bought, got me interested and looking.

Looking into the selling history with newly posted feedback (since I got back) the person sold the harley parts several times, I picked them up in person. He had posted them on auction again since I had picked them up. How many times can you sell something?. On ebay as many as you want to. Pictures don't mean the item is there, just means they have a picture.
In the old days (70's), bike thieves used to sell the same bike over and over.

I unloaded them parts like a hot potato, didn't make a nickel.

I remember my first trip to Daytona, there was this member of a 1%er club with a milk crate going down the line of bikes removing generators and putting them in the crate. I went over to him, tapped him on the shoulder pointed at my panhead and told him that was mine and I liked the generator. He grinned and said "OKAY man"

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 08-17-2003).]

Lanmanb4
08-18-2003, 01:49 PM
Ya know .. interesting hearing all the views on ebay .. I had an incident when I was new to selling on ebay . I mentioned I had other *widgets* as well if there was interest ..
EBAY HAD A FIT !! said I can't indirectly mention other goods for sale .. or something like that .. Well now to add insult to injury .. I have since seen SEVERAL other autions BLATANTLY posting their websites for
sales off ebay ... When I queried why that was ok .. no response .. Sounds like a hit and miss system for things like this and shilling .. so .. as far as I'm concerned .. if my auctions get me business outside of ebay or if I email ebay sellers and ask if they have more than just whats on ebay and buy it "offline" .. well so be it .. When in Rome ...

Wanted to add however.. that this opinion in no way implies that I agree with shilling ..
Because I don't ..

[This message has been edited by Lanmanb4 (edited 08-18-2003).]

Alistair Hosie
08-18-2003, 06:42 PM
In normal circumstances Ebay is a good service but all is not always as it seems.I still say that if you send your money off for something which does not exist (To theives)such as my friend with the tv that is a big problem I use Ebay a lot but their is a risk.You are supposed to be insured but in My friends case they wriggled out of it.Alistair