PDA

View Full Version : cnc in schools.

ropteach
08-07-2003, 04:56 PM
our schools need your support. help support machinist training classes in your area now, before it is too late. seems we do not need machinists anymore or so our schools think. our governor in ca. does not think we need training programs.help support us, serve on an advisory commitee. all it takes is 2 or 3 hours per year. our programs are disappearing.

dvideo
08-07-2003, 07:20 PM
CA is bizarre.... Major union support for the Gov and they are dumping mechanical arts... There methods appear pretty vicious....

-- jr

spope14
08-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Yes, I hear much complaining about schools and what the shops teach on this page. Sorry, but have to say it. I like to respond, "Do you get out and speak up?"

I have an advisory committee, very active, of 13 companies, and some 30 supporting. This saved the program of machining in 1997. This has also got me, as a teacher, better in tune with the needs of industry. This committee has also come in and recruited students, and has watched them AT FREAKING WORK, and evaluated ME as a teacher, and gave suggestions, and saw what was coming down the pike for employees. I am more directly accountable to this committee than I am to my school administrator. I would not be a good machine teacher without them, and also without them, i would not have the support of my school admin or the school board.

I had a rule 17 years back when I started. I used to (and still do) visit shops in the area, and even craftsmen. If they think I am looking for handouts, I refuse. I state "I want your information, want to learn, and want you to look and evaluate what I DO!!!! I have refused items of donation, and instead asked for time and experience to share - MUCH MORE VALUABLE, for a machine and metal rusts and is used up, but information is forever.

I am proud to say that my advisory committee is a New England Model of how it should be. I do not say this lightly, this is what I hear fom my peers in the states around me, and from the state dep't of ed., and from people even out of NH. This is not to my credit, but DIRECTLY to their credit. They care, they became involved, and as a teacher, I keep them involved. They are my life, and dare I say, my students are their lives.

I trust their judgement not as a "rubber stamp" but as a board to tell me "how it is" - and sometimes I get an earful. Three of them have hired me as a summer employee to meke me prove my worth, and have in this action, made me a better teacher. They are proud that I let them do this, and I am humbled by their trust.

In the upcoming year, my machining program will be the first fully certified NIMS program in New England. One beat me for "certification", but not full (for this I wish they had beat me, for this is a good program, and this is not a competition, but economic survival for the region). I give them the credit for doing the footwork, giving the initiative, drive, and the support to me to do this.

I could not do without industry support, even in this time of hard economy. This is what makes this work, the teaching of machining, and keeps me Out of the vaccuum.

If any of you have time, DO IT!!!!! You may be a bit peeved at the start, with all the regs, red tape, and such. I am still boggled, but the committee keeps me grounded.... BUT over time, you will see that employers and experience talk in school boards, and to administrators, and in keeping a priogram going, and dare I say GROWING!!!!!!, AND you can build something for the future of this fine craft which i love so much, and am proud to teach. You will beat the red tape. Your local teacher, if he/she is worth anything at all, will be grateful for your help (though with some of you real salty buzzards, it may take a bit of time for the teacher to get used to you, as I know from experience, but then again, i am a bit of a real salty and grizzly buzzard)

Signing off....proud teacher with the greatest of support....... S. Pope.

ropteach
08-13-2003, 08:51 PM
good going s.pope. advisory commitees are a major part of our programs. we are nims certified and i had the first two students in ca. to receive crendentials. we just need industry support just time would be great. evaluate the program etc. everyone get on the bandwagon.

wierdscience
08-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Wait till Arnold is elected! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Cass
08-13-2003, 09:19 PM
First kill all the lawyers. Schools in Texas have only some nail guns and saws to train the drop outs on how to build stud walls. Even real wood working classes are gone or going out fast. Legal liability is one big reason, an elitist attitude that any skilled craft is low class and the lack of qualified instructors are other reasons. No such thing as a metal working class in high schools now. "Computer science" is the excuse. But using the money for other things and avoiding the complications of exposing kids to machinery is the main problem.

ropteach
08-18-2003, 02:11 PM
that is true. but some of us remain and our doing well with great programs.

dnsbss
08-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Where do you all find students, other than high schools? The program at my local community college is bordering on closing for lack of students. Do you also have night classes? I am on thier advisory board and substitute when needed.

spope14
08-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Hey Cass, wanna blow the compu geeks minds? Show them the inside of a Fanuc CNC, and explain the PLC system, motion controllers, and all the freaking boards. Then show them a CNC Program. Make real sure it has some real bells and whistles, and is REAL LONG and printed out on that old printer paper - the type that rolls off with the little holes, and can print a 30 page program without "break".

Want some real fun, if you have MasterCAM or a like program, get out a 3-d drawing - make sure it has lots of colors. Make it solid, move it around a bit, very the cutting path on the screen, "post the program", then run the part on the machine.

I do this to the arrogant little geeks in our compu classes. The compu teacher and I started the compu program at our school, and he realizes the extent of what it takes to be a machinist, but also the extent of technology the machining world has over the basic "PC gamers and word crunchers" world. I sub for him once in a while, and tem teach now and then. After the students are in his class for a while, and feeling real "edificated" (his word for educated), he lets me show up, pretend to be impressed, then I take them in my lab for "the show", and even invite the ones I find interested to help me "fix a control" (I fix my fanucs and anilams). Sits a few of the rel cocky ones right back, and just fuels the fire for his good ones all he more - I also get students.

BTW, most of my machining students take compu.. Another note, the compu teachers boy is a tool and die maker, and went back for an engineering degree, and is an engineer for a very high tough of firm.

On a final note, I got a very high compliment from my school board. In the latest meeting, a parent told the board how much my class ment to their son (who passed on this past month, a very sad thing for me), and the chair and principal also commended me on my job. Perhaps the best compliment was from the parent, who in this time, made the effort to say this, and for this I am humbled.