PDA

View Full Version : B18 spindle taper drill chuck

3t-
02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Hello,

I have a ToolShop brand drill press that I picked up years ago at Menards. The drill is fine for most of the work I need it to do. I am however considering a new keyless drill chuck of reasonable quality to improve the tool a bit. My owners manual says that the spindle taper is B18. The drill came with a JT-3 chuck on it. :rolleyes: I am having trouble locating a B18 chuck, are these obsolete or just put on low quality machines or is the JT 3 a matching taper and usable. I guess I need some education on this.

SDL
02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Hello,

I have a ToolShop brand drill press that I picked up years ago at Menards. The drill is fine for most of the work I need it to do. I am however considering a new keyless drill chuck of reasonable quality to improve the tool a bit. My owners manual says that the spindle taper is B18. The drill came with a JT-3 chuck on it. :rolleyes: I am having trouble locating a B18 chuck, are these obsolete or just put on low quality machines or is the JT 3 a matching taper and usable. I guess I need some education on this.

B18 is an European taper that fits the chuck to the spindle or the Morse taper,

Does the Chuck fit directly to the spindle on a short taper (say 20mm 3/4" long) or come out on a MT3 shaft like would go in the lathe tailstock.

Steve Larner

3t-
02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Sorry I wasn't very clear on that. The end of the spindle shaft is tapered. The B18 taper is at the end of the spindle (male) The chuck fits directly onto this taper, there is no socket (female) in the spindle to fit a Morse taper adapter into like a lathe tail stock.

3t-
02-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Well it looks like these folks have them but reading the company info page they will not ship to the US:(

http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk/TTH-65608E/SEARCH:CATEGORY/product.html

SDL
02-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Well it looks like these folks have them but reading the company info page they will not ship to the US:(

http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk/TTH-65608E/SEARCH:CATEGORY/product.html

Try ringing J&l in USA, the UK one used to try and get something if it wasn't in the catalogue.

Steve Larner

3t-
02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
So before wasting everyones time reading this thread why wasn't my first move to actually MEASURE the existing spindle taper.:o

Well guess what...it measures out to be a JT-3:D

Now why would my inexpensive import tool have a spec that did not match the specs listed in the owners manual...:rolleyes:

Really, I'm not this simple minded.