PDA

View Full Version : OT: what's the word on Victorian Brush Fire Donations.

Your Old Dog
02-24-2009, 07:54 AM
I'd like to make a donation but don't know what the buzz is on where to make a donation that will get where I want it to go.

I ask because during 911 I donated to the Red Cross and they said they had so many donations for the 911 relief project they were going to use some of it for other needs. This sort of bent me out of shape as I wanted it to go to the families of 911 victims. I want my money to go where I target it for and nowhere else.

Where can I make a donation that will get the money to the families of the Victorian Brush Fire?

franco
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
YOD,

The Australian Red Cross is running the main appeal for bushfire victims.

http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services_emergencyservices_victorian-bushfires-appeal-2009.htm

I make the following comment without any personal knowledge of the situation at the time, so take it for what it is worth. When a Red Cross appeal was organized for victims of the tsunami in the Pacific region a while ago, there was considerable discussion in the Australian press of allegations that a surprising amount of money which had been donated to the fund for tsunami victims had been used for administration costs only distantly related to the immediate relief to the situation of the tsunami victims, and did not reach the actual people it was intended for. I take it that the following comment on the Bushfire Appeal website:

“Please note: Red Cross will not deduct any costs from public donations to cover Appeal costs. All interest earned on donations will be invested back into the Appeal. Should the funds raised exceed the amount required to meet these needs, any excess funds will be used to assist in future disasters in Victoria."

is in the way of an assurance that the same situation won't arise again.

franco

miker
02-25-2009, 06:25 PM
YOD, that is a very kind thought. Good on Ya!

here is a link to the Victorian Country Fire Authority (CFA) for interest.

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/index.htm

This Friday 27/02 09 is shaping up to be a Horror day again in the same areas.

Rgds