PDA

View Full Version : Hi all....

bquiggle
02-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Fianlly after 5 years of dreaming I have a 7x12 lathe in the house, and am looking forward to playing with it............
Just wanted to introduce myself, I am sure I will be asking for lots of help, so thanks in advance

S_J_H
02-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Welcome to the zoo! I had a 7x10 and sure had much pleasure using it. There is not much in that size range to compare with it. It's a good mini machine that can be readily modified for better performance.

Steve

Oldbrock
02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Welcome Bquiggle, between us all there isn't anything you can stump us on regarding machining. So just ask away and enjoy learning to machine. Peter

Oldbrock
02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey, Where are you? Makes life easier when we know your location. Peter

bquiggle
02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
I live in Crested Butte, CO, a mid sized ski area, when its 40 below the lathe should keep me warm and busy :)
Micromark just put mini mill on sale........wonder how my wife will react....
I have always want to build a engine from pieces of metal stock, am looking forward to getting started, but just found plans for a fly reel, I may have to start on the one first, I am just like a kid in a candy store............

Mark Hockett
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the group,
I too have a 7 X 12 and it is one of my favorite machines to play on. I recently built this small steam engine and did 90% of the lathe work on the 7 X 12,

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/mahockett/ge1.jpg

dockrat
02-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Welcome aboard. Lots to be learned from the guys that hang out here. thier knowledge amazes me :)

Bill in Ky
02-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Welcome! Ask questions and share you projects with us.
This is a great site.

kc5ezc
02-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Welcome, bquiggle. I'm in the process of making a fly reel also. Which plans are you using? Mine came from an old magazine that one of the members here sent to me. If yours is different I will be glad to exchange plans.

bquiggle
02-26-2009, 08:23 AM
John, I have plans fron Mechanix Illistrated by Frank Shallenberger, I am guessing you probably have the same.
Just found a piece of 3/8 Al today so I may be getting started soon.
Actually I have been working on a model boiler by hand for a while and just searched how to turn thin stock, so I will be turning the end plates soon.....should be much easier than fileing and fitting by hand
And thank you all for the welcome Bill