PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport CNC question!

Liger Zero
02-25-2009, 12:41 PM
This is listed on local Craigslist for $1400:

BTC-1 BRIDGEPORT Ridgid Ram 3-axes CNC Vertical Mill
with 24 Automatic tool changer, S/N BTC1-102
BOSS 7.2
Table overall size 16 1/8” x 42”
Table working surface 12 ½” x 34”
Max. table load 300 lbs.
X-axis travel 18”
Y-axis travel 12”
Z-axis travel 5”
Variable spindle speeds 120-5000 RPM
Spindle taper No. 35

EQUIPPED WITH:

24 Automatic tool changer
Ridgid ram
Power draw-bar
Automatic lub. system
3 H.P. Spindle drive
3/60/440 Volt electrics
Approx. weight: 4400 lbs.
Floor Space Required: 63.37”LR x 62”FB x 92”High

----

I have a place to put it now with 440, and guess what I have enough money. Aside from the usual machine-tool checkout routine anything specific that I should be looking for with this model of BOSS?

I ran and actually did simple programming on a BOSS V not that long ago.

Are there any specific items I should check out on this model, any spare-parts issues or anything like that?

Just Bob Again
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
By the time you finish thinking about it, it will be sold. Only concern I'd have is the spindle taper and cost of tooling. If it comes with some holders in that changer and was close enough, I'd have bought it already. Probably even with no tooling.

Liger Zero
02-25-2009, 01:00 PM
If it's still there at 4PM I'm going to grab it, unless someone can convince me otherwise or I find serious issues with it.

$1400 for a big mill with a tool-changer... something ain't right.

Just Bob Again
02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
So far, I missed 3 bridgeports a Hurco and a surface grinder on CL. Called the same day they listed on most. Was on the way to buy one with cash after I called and the doofus sold it while I was on the way over. If they price it comparatively cheap because they want it gone, it goes.

Liger Zero
02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
So far, I missed 3 bridgeports a Hurco and a surface grinder on CL. Called the same day they listed on most. Was on the way to buy one with cash after I called and the doofus sold it while I was on the way over. If they price it comparatively cheap because they want it gone, it goes.

Yeah. I missed out on a HUGE turret-punch press with scads of tooling and a dedicated tool-grinder. It was old, 1980s vintage... used audio-tape for file storage but it did have a serial port... Thick punch capability and the sucker was fast.

$2500. Guy wanted it out of the shop to make room for a new Finn Power laser-turret combo.

Problem was the shear size of it, I couldn't get it into the barn or basement.

God****ingdamnit that's the one that got away, and I'm going to always regret that one. :D

Sparky_NY
02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I seen that mill on CL here in Rochester also. I am positive there was a BTC24 bridgeport on there about a year ago. At the time, I was considering it until I read up on the BTC. I guess the mill is ok but the toolchanger was extremely poor. Bridgeport quit making it after only something like less than 50 were sold. I guess there are folks that can get it to work but it is a rarity. The mill is ok, its the toolchanger that was loaded with issues.

If you have not headed out to buy it yet (Its 5:00 so I am betting the deal is done!) read up on the BTC at cnczone and the yahoo bp group to understand what you are getting into. It still sounds like a good buy even if you don't use the toolchanger.

Liger Zero
02-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Back, machine had a couple other minor issues that needed to be addressed.

Not something I want to undertake. :)

tattoomike68
02-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Back, machine had a couple other minor issues that needed to be addressed.

Not something I want to undertake. :)

A friend of mine picked up 2 machines like that for $1,000 , I think his are mori seki or something. both were running just high hours and in need of an overhaul if you wanted to do butthair type work.

He has them in storage till he finds a shop with 3 phase power to put them in.

madman
02-25-2009, 07:10 PM
My friend had one in his shop and didny have any thing good to say about it. It usually sat there NOT running while his fadal kept busy, main problems with the z axis (not counterbalanced and it just freezing a LOt he told me. )

Liger Zero
02-25-2009, 07:11 PM
The problems... nothing major, someone with more time and machine-repair skills will end up with a nice machine no doubt.

As for general BOSS type machines, my experience with the BOSS Vs I've delt with... It depends if you take care of them. They like proper care and feeding... they will not tolerate being neglected at all.