PDA

View Full Version : TAKE NOTE: MSC has 30% discount today only

Your Old Dog
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Enter code WEB30 in the promotional code box in the Shopping Cart when ordering online or mention the code when ordering via phone to receive the discount. Promotional price will be reflected in the Shopping Cart.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/images/email/mscRightColumn.gif
* Certain exclusions apply. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. For sale items, discount will be taken off of current catalog price. If an item is on sale and a promotion code is applied, MSC will automatically provide you the lowest of the two prices. Items are discounted up to the discount shown or to the maximum extent possible for a particular manufacturer. Offer ends at 11:30pm EST.

Just thought I'd pass it along. February 26th only.

lazlo
02-26-2009, 11:58 AM
...and the 30% off coupon stacks with the free shipping code posted yesterday: WEBFF

Your Old Dog
02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Well, if you can pyramid shipping onto the 30% off then I guess I'll spend the rest of the afternoon browsing for heavy stuff that I could afford with the $30 off :D

hardtail
02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Anyone know if MSC has continued with plans to open in Spokane this spring? They show a star on their lower 48 map but no office, I had inquired to head office last fall when I went down and they thought it would be opening around now........in light of the economy I wonder if thats still their plan......course I guess I could get off my hiny and call em again..........

Michael Moore
02-26-2009, 07:14 PM
thanks for the notice. I think. I either just saved a pretty good sum of money or spent money I shouldn't have, depending on how I feel like spinning it. :)

Both codes were applied during checkout.

cheers,
Michael

Ken_Shea
02-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Their 30% is less then my 30% :D

On my $600 plus order the savings came to $56, better then nothing but not enough to persuade the purchase. :(

BillH
02-27-2009, 12:45 AM
It applied the promo codes but when it asked for my credit card, it was showing the regular prices. I guess I can wait for some parallel clamps at another time.

Michael Moore
02-27-2009, 12:57 AM
That's odd, as I got a full 30% on my stuff. I presume that if you were ordering things that were already on sale that you would only get 30% off the catalog prices and not 30% off of the sale price. Nothing that I ordered was in a sale catalog.

cheers,
Michael

Ken_Shea
02-27-2009, 01:06 AM
I am sure that was it Michael as all but one item was in the sale flyer, but the one item a Kurt D688 at $499 is not really a sale price to me but it must be to MSC. With free shipping still not a bad deal, just not enticing enough to complete the order.

Ken

lazlo
02-27-2009, 01:13 AM
It applied the promo codes but when it asked for my credit card, it was showing the regular prices. I guess I can wait for some parallel clamps at another time.

The coupon codes were good until 10:30 PM EST. You must have just missed the window.

By the way, you can't apply the 30% discount to items that are already on sale. The economy is pretty bad, but MSC isn't that desperate :)

Ken_Shea
02-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Yes you can uh now it is could have Lazlo,
Did not amount to much but it did deduct some off all but one end mill cutter.

Like $10 and some change off the sale price of the 28 edition Machinery handbook, I promised myself to get one of those this year.
Maybe later.

bobw53
02-27-2009, 01:46 AM
I've been ordering from J&L for about 7 years, enough stuff to get free overnight shipping all the time and some really nice standing discounts. 26% on Kennametal/Hertel, and 35% on my bandsaw blades.

When my salesman(one of his top 3 accounts) called me and said "we were just bought by MSC" I knew things were going to go to hell, and they did. I lost my salesman and my discounts. Since set out on my own...

When the full "integration" was done on 9/1/08, it just got even worse.

There is a reason they have 25% off almost every week, its because their prices went up about 50%. Some stuff even 100% over a year ago.

I still use them for the piddly stuff, a few drills and reamers or taps here and there, an oddball endmill I need tomorrow(or RIGHT NOW), stuff not worth wasting the time of a salesman for. I use their discount prices as leverage on the suppliers I prefer to use(I'm looking to save a buck).

Just because its 30% off does not mean its a deal. There are a lot of good small suppliers out there that can beat them on price and stock lesser "name" brands with just as much if not more quality for much better prices.

All I'm suggesting is to do your research, and support the little guys. ExKenna over on the PM site is a one man band and has found me some great deals on some great tools, off brands, no names, little knowns, also saved me some good money on name brands, Bison, Kennametal, less than J&L/MSC at 25% off.

Ken, on the D688s, I bought 3 a little over a year ago from J&L, $457, discount plus free shipping and they shipped them Blue. A few months ago, when I needed 2 more, even with discount, J&L/MSC couldn't touch that(25% did not equal 25%). The cheapest I found was a place out of Phoenix, $48? delivered. I wouldn't be feeling bad at $499 delivered, especially if I needed them NOW.

I went with one of my regular suppliers, a small company at $525 delivered, I also bought a bunch of other stuff at the same time and the vises gave me a rather large discount on that stuff, besides I send that salesman on wild goose chases all the time, the slight premium was/is well worth having somebody that I can call and have them find me what I need when I need it at a price I'm willing to pay.

lazlo
02-27-2009, 02:05 AM
There is a reason they have 25% off almost every week, its because their prices went up about 50%. Some stuff even 100% over a year ago.

All I'm suggesting is to do your research, and support the little guys. ExKenna over on the PM site is a one man band and has found me some great deals on some great tools, off brands, no names, little knowns, also saved me some good money on name brands, Bison, Kennametal, less than J&L/MSC at 25% off.

MSC's prices did go up some last year, but everyone's prices went up last year -- I'm not seeing 50 - 100% price increases.

You mentioned Bison: MickeyD was looking for the Bison 6" Adjust-Tru D1-3 backplate. Bison part number 7-878-063. That's $160 at BrassandTool, $169 at JTS, etc. MSC's normal price is $179. $10, or about 6% more.

With the $35 off sale last week, MSC had it for $116.55, plus free shipping.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PARTPG=IMLMKD&PMPXNO=1784949
http://brassandtool.com/Backplate-Adaptors.html

The Kurt D-688 is $582 at MSC, $568 at KBCtools. It's on sale at KBC this month for $483.57. and with the weekly 25% off sale at MSC, it's $436.

Those are just two examples, but MickeyD, TexasTurnado, and I do a lot of price comparisons between MSC, Enco, KBC, JTS etc, and with the 25%, 30%, 35% off sales, often with free shipping, you can't touch MSC on most items. I agree though, it's not worth it when they're not having a sale.

bobw53
02-27-2009, 03:03 AM
Lazlo, I'm not arguing. MSC's prices didn't increase that much, there was a reason I dealt with J&L, MSC's prices have always been out of joint, a reamer from J&L catalog #75 that listed for $13 and change, when I went to order it was over $28. I expected 14-16. A few other things that just blew my mind with the massive cost increase. The 1/2" Hanita Varimill always listed at around $72 or so, $53-$54 with standard discount, now it lists for $102????? Its a fricken 1/2" endmill!!!! Maritool carries a 1/2" variflute that will match or (in my experience) outperform it for $33, no discount needed.

On the vises, D688, J&L/MSC list $582, from Kurt, $568.90. Nobody ever has a higher price than the manufacturer.

On the endmills, MSC/J&L their prices are generally insane. MSC/J&L do serve their purpose for me, but its not in the major purchase category.

I will always go with the little guy when they are competitive, and they usually beat the 25% off price, if they can't they tell me. If its the matter of a few bucks, I'll still go with the little guy. Wal Mart mentality on my part I guess.

I just really don't like what J&L has become, they used to be such a good company.

Your Old Dog
02-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Ken, if I were you I'd drop a dime on them and ask they why the discount and free ship code didn't work. Pending on who you are talking to, they may apply it over the phone.

Spent 2 hours or better but couldn't find anything I needed/wanted that I could afford.

lazlo
02-27-2009, 10:09 AM
The 1/2" Hanita Varimill always listed at around $72 or so, $53-$54 with standard discount, now it lists for $102????? Its a fricken 1/2" endmill!!!! Maritool carries a 1/2" variflute that will match or (in my experience) outperform it for $33, no discount needed..

But now you're comparing a name-brand Kennametal product with a (high-quality) import. Maritool has great stuff, but that's not an apples to apples comparison.

On the vises, D688, J&L/MSC list $582, from Kurt, $568.90. Nobody ever has a higher price than the manufacturer.

That's precisely my point. MSC's normal price is 2.5% higher than everyone else. Until you apply the 25%, 30% or 35% discount, many times with free shipping. Then MSC's price is way less than anyone else.

Basically, MSC went to a Blue Light Special model. So just order during the sales, and they're still cheaper than anyone else.

bobw53
02-27-2009, 01:08 PM
But now you're comparing a name-brand Kennametal product with a (high-quality) import. Maritool has great stuff, but that's not an apples to apples comparison.

I think thats an apples to apples comparison. And Maritool's endmills come from a grinder in Michigan, and if I recall correctly are on Sandvik blanks. And for an even more apples to apples comparison, take a look at Lakeshore's endmills, if I recall correctly on them, they are on Kennametal blanks, and less than half the price.

I think with Hanita, you're paying for the name, its a "designer" endmill. There are quite a few small American companies cranking out some damn fine endmills, I'll give them my business.

I totally agree with you on the big sale thing, its just stupid, give me a good price all the time and skip the bells and whistles. Seems to work for McMaster Carr, no sales ever.

lazlo
02-27-2009, 01:13 PM
I think thats an apples to apples comparison. And Maritool's endmills come from a grinder in Michigan, and if I recall correctly are on Sandvik blanks.

No, Frank has made it very clear that his tools are imports. Germany at first, then India and now whereever he gets them:

I have a vendor in Germany make these for me. We meet each other though a mutual customer.

I will say though - I don't believe the ER32 collet set I bought from Maritool came from Germany. The collets have "Trumil" etched on them and when I did a search I found that they were made by Trumax in India. I checked a few for runout and they were good - overall quality is good. Again good quality at a good price, and as others have said - good service.
Yes, I did get collets in the past from Trumill. Good product but little hard to deal with.

Frank's tools are excellent, but the one's I've gotten are unmarked as to country of origin, which almost always means import.