PDA

View Full Version : Follower Rest

pressurerelief
02-28-2009, 07:49 AM
After seeing Sir John's Treatise on steadies, I thought to ask this question that has been nagging me for a while. What does everyone do for a follower rest on a cnc? I have to turn a noodle in the very near future. Stock is 4140, diameter .275" with a length of 14". Looking for a way to rig a follower on my CNC Lathe (Haas TL-1). Not easy to mount to the carriage due to positive X moves following a negative Z cut. I have the standard "rails" machined in the bed for a steady rest but think a follower would suit better.

Rick

John Stevenson
03-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Rick, Not familiar with a Haas lathe but what about using a box roller tool like a capstan ?

Apologies if the build up doesn't allow this and you have already thought of this.

knedvecki
03-01-2009, 10:58 AM
What John said, a box tool like from a turret lathe

pressurerelief
03-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Folks,

Not familiar with a box tool, googled it and found pics that really did not show much. I am going to try today without a rest. Haas has a feature on the control that allows the machine to change feeds and speeds to disrupt chatter etc. You set up the parameters and it will vary within the settings to help stop chatter and obtain a better finish. Her goes nothing.

P/R

Mark Hockett
03-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Rick,
A while back I saw a post showing a follow rest that was built in to an Aloris quick change tool holder. That might be an option that would work for you. I might have a link to it on my other computer. I will search for it and let you know when I get back to my other computer.

pressurerelief
03-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Mark, I saw the rest and have a pic of it stashed. I would imagine the only way to use it would be to single block/feed hold and back the rest off manually before the X move retracts back from the part. Advance the Z as a positive move, let x feed to the stock and reset the rest?

Rick