PDA

View Full Version : Read the directions

chief
02-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Today I picked up an almost new Poulan weed eater, I'm guessing it has less than one hour of run time. Other recent finds were a lawn boy push mower and Honda generator. These aren't only finds of this type I've had just most recent.
The common thread between all of these are that they are all almost new and that all of them either had motor oil the gas tank or a gas/oil mixture of about 1:1. It looks like the people buy them and run them until the gas the dealer put in runs out and they can't figure out how to refill them.
The question is are people that stupid or are they just lazy? I ahven't had to buy a mower in 20 years because of this.
I'm waiting for someone with a new Harley to do this and then I will be set.

lenord
02-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Chief,

Good finds ! I want the generator !!

Some people are just plain stupid. Some are dumb and too lazy to learn. They do walk among us ! Thats my vote anyway.

My neighborhood has those cheap mini motorcycles in the trash frequently. I suspect for nearly the same reason you found the weed eater...Here the landscapers get the mowers first usually...

Lenord

Rustybolt
02-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Mostly lazy. I'd say. I'm in the market for a weed eater witha 34cc or bigger motor for a godevil type motor for my canoe.

Scishopguy
02-28-2009, 02:14 PM
The older I get the more of this type of stuff I see. A buddy of mine recently got a brand new john deer lawn tractor for $300 from the local farm and home store. Someone had bought it, used it for an hour or so, and brought it back for an exchange because the drive quit. The farm stores usually take back stuff without question and have it repaired locally. That is expensive and if they can sell the stuff "as is" they jump at the chance. Turns out that there was a shear pin that broke off on the output of the drive. It took my friend about an hour and he had his wife mowing with it. That tractor was about $1500 new. It pays to check with managers about returns. ;)

As for 2 cycle stuff, most of the idiots around here just put gas in it and run it until it siezes up.:( They must be dumber in Florida.

Liger Zero
02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
The older I get the more of this type of stuff I see. A buddy of mine recently got a brand new john deer lawn tractor for $300 from the local farm and home store. Someone had bought it, used it for an hour or so, and brought it back for an exchange because the drive quit. The farm stores usually take back stuff without question and have it repaired locally. That is expensive and if they can sell the stuff "as is" they jump at the chance. Turns out that there was a shear pin that broke off on the output of the drive. It took my friend about an hour and he had his wife mowing with it. That tractor was about $1500 new. It pays to check with managers about returns. ;)

As for 2 cycle stuff, most of the idiots around here just put gas in it and run it until it siezes up.:( They must be dumber in Florida.

Works for computer stuff as well. Most people have a glitch on a computer they blame "a virus or got hacked or something."

...in one case the computer was returned because the person in question didn't understand about registering the OS. "Damn thing keeps asking me to call a number and input some code. what kind of scam is that?"

...in another case I got a laptop from a friend who was complaining about how SLOW it was, she had heard how these dual-cores were supposed to be blindly fast but hers took forever to load. Must be a virus or a hacker or something... No, it's because you are on DIALUP!

...my sister tells of a computer that was returned to where she was working because the owner forgot all his passwords. Quick check of the sales records show he had it less than 36 hours.

...then there was the lady at the public library where I volunteer who was in tears hysterical convinced she was going to get arrested because her computer had performed an "illegal operation."

My grandparents were some of the smartest people I ever knew, right up until the end Grandfather was interested in learning computer technology and Grandmother learned HTML, she made a web-page at the age of 94.

People are getting dumber no doubt in my mind. :( Why else would we think an unregulated system can run itself? Why else would we have three market bubbles in the space of a decade?

Paul Alciatore
02-28-2009, 02:38 PM
The older I get the more of this type of stuff I see. .....

Well, perhaps marginally smarter in Florida. At least they did add oil.

Dragons_fire
02-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Liger Zero isn't alone either. I work for the telecom company here, and i get people all the time that complain about their internet speeds because their using a computer older than i am and it takes 5 minutes for internet explorer to open.

and about once every couple months, i get someone who complains that their internet isn't working, when i get there nothing is plugged in (not even power) and when i tell them that it needs to be plugged in, they complain because its a wireless modem!!!

dan s
02-28-2009, 02:58 PM
I have this hanging on my wall at work.

Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee with a caller:
Customer Support: "Ridge Hall computer assistant; may I help you?"
Caller: "Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."
CS: "What sort of trouble?"
C: "Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."
CS: "Went away?"
C: "They disappeared."
CS: "Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"
C: "Nothing."
CS: "Nothing?"
C: "It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."
CS: "Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"
C: "How do I tell?"
CS: "Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?"
C: "What's a sea-prompt?"
CS: "Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"
C: "There isn't any cursor, I told you, it won't accept anything I type."
CS: "Does your monitor have a power indicator?"
C: "What's a monitor?"
CS: "It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"
C: "I don't know."
CS: "Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"
C: "Yes, I think so."
CS: "Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."
C: ".......Yes, it is."
CS: "When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"
C: "No."
CS: "Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."
C: ".......Okay, here it is."
CS: "Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."
"I can't reach."
CS: "Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"
C: "No."
CS: "Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"
C: "Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's because it's dark."
CS: "Dark?"
C: "Yes - the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."
CS: "Well, turn on the office light then."
C: "I can't."
CS: "No? Why not?"
C: "Because there's a power outage."
CS: "A power... A power outage? Ah, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"
C: "Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."
CS: "Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."
C: "Really? Is it that bad?"
CS: "Yes, I'm afraid it is."
C: "Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"
CS: "Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

topct
02-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Last fall a friend of mine brought a two stage snowblower by for me to fix that he picked up at a yard sale for $25. It was an Ariens that retailed for about $800. It was very new but the owners could not get it to start.

I turned the gas on and it started on the second pull.

hawgwrench
02-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Funny you should mention that Chief....this week a 2004 Heritage Softail came in that just "quit running" and "wont start"....a casual survey turns up mufflers full of oil and an oil tank that was bone dry.Little further checking turns up cylinders soaked in oil,and after pulling the primary drive so I could get a socket on the compensating sprocket,it'll make MAYBE a 60 degree rotation either way.Hmmm....quick phone call, turns out it been running good like normal,just puking oil out the breather for about 2 MONTHS...so what was most likely a piston ring problem is now a whole motor problem......what a shame...(alot nicer bike than I'VE ever owned)

Your Old Dog
02-28-2009, 05:04 PM
As for the two cycle stuff, some folks use marine mix oil with the gas in their weedwhackers. If you take the time to read the instructions it specifically says NOT to use this oil. I used the marine oil myself because I had a boat and it plugs up the little spark arrestor fine screen in the muffler. Remove or cut a hole in the screen and it works fine if you don't want to clean the screen.