PDA

View Full Version : Anyone build their own pedestal grinder?

JoeFin
02-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Have any pictures to share?

I have some parts that require lots of blending and polishing on the finish and Im really leaning towards building a pedestal style grinder for them.

First off I want to be able to slow down the wheel speed through a step pulley and a foot control switch controlling the RPM of the motor.

Secondly I do not want to be restricted as to the arbor size of wheels I can use on it.

I have some 1 CR for a shaft, a couple pillow blocks, 1, 2, 3, & 3-1/2 Al. rounds for pulleys and adaptors and am heading down to the supply house to pick up some closed channel for the frame.

Any suggestions?

BobWarfield
02-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Joe, you might consider building a belt sander. More versatile for about the same amount of trouble.

If interested, here are some ideas:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCKnifeMakingGrinders.htm

Cheers,

BW

JoeFin
02-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks Bob

I have a Wet/Belt Sander that I run 400gt on 1 side and 600gt on the other.

But these parts are ALL curves. Only 1 flat surface and that is on the back and not machined so it is no problem.

I'm thinking of 3M CPM wheels

gary hart
02-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Maybe a little more then you want to do but if you fit the arbor with a R-8 collet and draw bar then you could quickly change wheels and once trued up they would be trued up when replaced back on grinder.

Made one years ago that has 3/4" R-8 collet and reversable DC motor with speed control. Use it a lot and happy with it. A must is having speed control protected from grinding dust.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ghart3/Quick%20Change%20Grinder/QuickChangeGrinderxx.jpg

bunch pictures at
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ghart3/Quick%20Change%20Grinder/

BadDog
02-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Very nice little grinder Gary. That's very similar to the idea I've had for the last few years (at least I thought it was my idea?). My plan included an ER collet for quick and accurate change/(re)mount of wheels, buffs, brush, etc. And my intent is to use a 2hp 3ph motor with VFD for speed, direction, and braking control. There are some other differences, but in general idea, that's pretty much it...

Doc Nickel
02-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I have some parts that require lots of blending and polishing on the finish and Im really leaning towards building a pedestal style grinder for them.

-I was thinking about it, and may still do it, but I haven't gotten anywhere yet.

Same idea: Two pillow blocks, a good long bar, and a belt drive down to probably something like an old surplus treadmill motor with a speed control. I'd planned on a 1" bar turned down to 3/4" on one end.

The idea was only as a buffer, though, no grinding wheels or other 'hard' wheels.

It wouldn't take much effort to make a nice one, but depending on what parts you have and what you'd need to buy, you might start sneaking up on the cost of a real, dedicated buffer in a big hurry.

Even the big Baldor buffers can be had for around $300 (plus nontrivial shipping) and they're plug-and-play.

Doc.