PDA

View Full Version : Tanking about steady rests..

Dragons_fire
02-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I ordered my steady rest for my BusyBee 10 X 18 lathe right after Christmas, and it finally came in yesterday. I went up there and picked it up this morning, but didnt look at it until i got home. This is what i found..

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t305/dragons_fire_photo/IMG_4473.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t305/dragons_fire_photo/IMG_4474.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t305/dragons_fire_photo/IMG_4476.jpg

so there is some nice surface rust on some of it but nothing was covered in grease when i got it. I wasnt real worried about the rust and the paint chips because i can fix them and i dont want to wait another 2 months for another. Then i went and put it on the lathe along with a 2 1/8" copper pipe. the pipe isnt dead center, but its only a couple thou off, so pretty close..

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t305/dragons_fire_photo/IMG_4478.jpg

The steady was cheap, but should I try to fix it or should i just take it back and hope the next one is better? I should also mention that i cleaned the ways and the grooves on the bottom of the rest before i took the picture.

ClintonH
02-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I'd take it back, but that's me. I was going to by one for my 10X18 but they just look way too cheap, I'm going to build one that fits and works proper. :)

Clinton

Big T
02-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Sure took a long time to get in. I have been at that store a couple times. The guy (Wayne ?) looking after the metal department knows a fair bit about machining.
I bought my 12x36 lathe and mill from House of Tools. The products are very similiar, tooling is cheaper at Busy Bee.

Dragons_fire
02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Sure took a long time to get in. I have been at that store a couple times. The guy (Wayne ?) looking after the metal department knows a fair bit about machining.
I bought my 12x36 lathe and mill from House of Tools. The products are very similiar, tooling is cheaper at Busy Bee.

yeah, it was almost 2 months to get it, and when i was there i saw their computer and it looks like there is about 15 other people waiting for the same rest. i may just take it back and but something else instead.

i went to house of tools when i was first looking for a lathe, and all i wanted was one of the small 7 x 12 lathes. they had the one with the DRO for $1200, but it was on sale right before that christmas for $999. the guy i was talking too, said they would be on sale for $799 on boxing day, and that they could take $100 now and hold it for me, and i could pick it up on boxing day. when i went back, they had sold the lathe, and it still $999. i fought with them and got my money back, went to busy bee and paid $999 for my 10x18 and have had fairly good luck there since.

ftl
03-02-2009, 01:54 AM
I think that it depends on how much you want to wait for another couple of months. I don't think the surface rust is that big of a deal. It would clean up quickly (probably take less time than returning it).

It looks to me that the groove for the ways is machined out of position. It looks very close to the edge of the casting. If it were a little closer to the centre, it looks like the fingers on the rest would centre a lot better.

You could fix the centering by putting a cutting tool (or a boring bar) in your chuck and machining the casting a bit.

I would not be particularly happy with what you got, but sadly that may be as good as it gets and it may take less time to fix it than it would take to return it.

I was at that BB store a bit before noon, so I just missed you. Not that I would have known.

Andrew_D
03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Not wanting to steal the thread, but does it always take Busy Bee that long to get in parts? In January, I ordered a 5" 4-jaw chuck that they had on sale. It was the same price as LMS, but I wouldn't have to deal with exchange/duty/etc. so I figured why not - try a new supplier. I'm still waiting for it. Last e-mail from them says it should be in end of March. Sure glad I didn't need it right away for a project...or worse a paying job!

Andrew