• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmc_31
    • Sep 2008

OT: Saw cutting concrete

Hey guys,

Does anybody have an idea how much it costs to saw cut concrete? I have about 150' of 4" concrete that I need to cut a 12" trench in. I don't know if it has rebar in it or not, It probably does.

Thanks,

Tim
  • Carld
    • Aug 2006

You can rent a machine to do that. It may save you a lot of money and rebar won't stop it.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Yes, rent one you can; BUT they will charge you for actual wear on the diamond wheel. You had better get a good idea what the final charge will be or at least set a maximum. Those 18-24 inch blades can cost 3-4-500 bucks new. Do NOT forget, keep it flooded with water, do NOT let it go dry. good luck

Comment

• IdahoJim
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by tmc_31
        Hey guys,

Does anybody have an idea how much it costs to saw cut concrete? I have about 150' of 4" concrete that I need to cut a 12" trench in. I don't know if it has rebar in it or not, It probably does.

Thanks,

Tim
        I'd guess you're looking at about $.75/inch foot...4" floor about $3.00/ft. There is also usually a minimum charge to cover travel costs. This estimate could be wrong in the current economic environment....lots of concrete cutting companies hurting for work.
        Jim

Comment

• madman
          • Sep 2004

Concrete

Well i have done some similiar concrete work. I lay out the lines using magic marker and a straight edge, Then its up to you fibre abasive concrete disc (MUCH CHEAPER BUY # OR SO ) then start cutting . Water on floor is a GOOD IDEA or you will have a ****load of dust EVERYWHERE IN YOURE HOME IT GOES THROUGH THE ENTIRE FORCED AIR SYSYTEM SHUT FURNACE OFF PLACE DAMP CLOTHS ON TOP OF THE AIR REGISTERS. I learned this the usual dumb way by doingn it myself wwith no previous experience years ago, Now with flooded floor cut two lines with saw and after start sledgehammering it will breal up nice to the cut line. Hope this helps Mike

Comment

• tmc_31
            • Sep 2008

OT Saw cutting concrete

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate your thoughts. This is an outdoor job so dust is not as much of an issue. However, I am sure that we will be using a diamond saw blade and so will be using water as a coolant/lubricant. I am trying to get an idea what a concrete contractor will charge to do this for me. About $3.00/ft to open the trench was what I was thinking also, any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

Comment

• Peter.
              • Mar 2008

That would be $6/ft coz you have 2 cuts, then the breaking out on top then digging. You could hire a small pram-saw and buy a blade and cut it yourself but unless you can get a good deal on the blade you'll probably spend more than contracting it. Also 4" is no thickness at all for sawcutting and if it had a macadam topping many people would just bust it out with a actor-mounted breaker and make good to the rough edge, then tarmac over. Likely that any rebar in there is going to be 1/4" wire mesh anyway. You might find the best way is to sub the whole job, cutting, breaking & digging, out to a contractor. These days prices will be cut to the bone.
              Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

• doctor demo
                • Apr 2006

Price is going to vary based on geography and access.
                150 foot trench (300 feet) of 4'' would fall into a minimum charge where I used to work. I have been gone almost three years , but it shouldn't be more than 250-300 bucks for the sawing. If the saw guy is worth a darn , a demo cut or two and a good pry bar and that concrete could be out in about a half hour.

Steve

Comment

• JoeFin
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by doctor demo
                  Price is going to vary based on geography and access.
                  150 foot trench (300 feet) of 4'' would fall into a minimum charge where I used to work. I have been gone almost three years , but it shouldn't be more than 250-300 bucks for the sawing. If the saw guy is worth a darn , a demo cut or two and a good pry bar and that concrete could be out in about a half hour.

Steve
                  The way the Rental Yards price the blades and the rental of the saw it's about the same to hire a company that specializes in Concrete Sawing.

They'll also have a jack hammer handy to break it up in bite size pieces you can pick up

You can save yourself the truck charge if you haul it away yourself - that is if you have a heavy trailer, and if you have a gravel quarry close by using a "Rock Crusher" you may even save the dump fees

Comment

• doctor demo
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by JoeFin
                    The way the Rental Yards price the blades and the rental of the saw it's about the same to hire a company that specializes in Concrete Sawing.

They'll also have a jack hammer handy to break it up in bite size pieces you can pick up

You can save yourself the truck charge if you haul it away yourself - that is if you have a heavy trailer, and if you have a gravel quarry close by using a "Rock Crusher" you may even save the dump fees
                    Joe, I spent ten years with a ''specialty'' company that did sawing, core drilling and break and remove. The fastest, cheapest , cleanest and quietest way to do that job would be with a bar, sledge and hand truck. Start at one end, bar it up a few inches and smack it with the sledge about 4 foot from the bar. Then just flop it up on the hand truck and wheel it out to the truck .
                    The key to doing it this way is to have the trench layed out properly and make sure the saw operator knows that is is being removed by hand, a saw guy could make it a easy removal job or realy screw with the b&r crew by not cutting it straight or all the way through.

I would never suggest to anybody to rent a saw and blade from any rental yard. The blades rental yards have just don't cut it , pardon the pun.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X