PDA

View Full Version : Butcher 1 - Chinese 0

John Stevenson
03-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Well this will upset a few.

Hunting round today looking for my bag of peanuts I put on the bench back in November and spied a plastic box I didn't recognise, blue long and thin.

Inside was one of the cheap 6.99 digital verniers, no idea where it came from as our importer only has the black boxed ones, even rang him to check.
New battery and it works as it should, that makes me about 2,566 of these thing [ approx ] kicking about the place when thinking about the next job kicked in and I decided to modify these to suit.

So ground the jaws right back on the bench grinder, stuck a blob of Stellite on the moving jaw and cleaned it all up with the dremmel.

Result, a pair of 21st century odd leg calipers.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/oddlegvernier.jpg

Close, zero off, read off your dimension and scribe along the work, it's just like a hand held vernier hight gauge that vertically challenged :D

Second tip of the day, Pentel fat blue marker pen instead of marking blue, less mess, goes where needed and impossible to spill and you don't finish up with a blue hampton when you go for a jimmy riddle.

Liger Zero
03-02-2009, 08:07 PM
and you don't finish up with a blue hampton when you go for a jimmy riddle.

:confused:

dockrat
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM

hahahaha what??? you dont understand "Pommie"?:D

John, Great idea. You just eliminated my hermaphrodite caliper :)

Liger Zero
03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
hahahaha what??? you dont understand "Pommie"?:D

:D 'sup wid dat, dog? Homey no like made-up words ya dig?

dp
03-02-2009, 08:25 PM

The ink won't dry hard while you're off to the loo.

38_Cal
03-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Since most of what I do is on firearms, I use red magic marker, as I can see it better against a blued or Parkerized surface...sometimes Dykem or black or blue magic marker disappears against a finished gun part's surface color.

David
Montezuma, IA

Doc Nickel
03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Second tip of the day, Pentel fat blue marker pen instead of marking blue, less mess, goes where needed and impossible to spill [.]

-Hell, I haven't used Dykem in at least a decade. I buy a 10 or 20-pack of wide-tip black markers from the local warehouse store about every three or four years and use those.

They rarely dry out- more often, the tip gets ruined with some oil, or frays badly trying to mark a rough-milled surface or something, but hey, they're like fifty cents each. Chuck it and grab a fresh.

Never liked Dykem- didn't like the hassle of even the mop-top cans, didn't like the imprecision of application, didn't like the blue fingertips. The pens are easy, quick, cheap.

Doc.

dp
03-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Not sure I left enough of a clue as to what the blue dye was drying hard on.

Jeffw5555
03-02-2009, 10:31 PM
There's a fair number of 'mericans that understand what you meant, as back in the 80's, Sammy Hagar came out with his "Standing Hampton" album.....

J Tiers
03-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Allow me to point out the painfully obvious, which in this particular case is that "context is everything".......

In the rather likely situation that you haven't the least idea what the comment meant, work backwards from "loo"...............

Then yer gotta see that he's runnin his potato trap about what you gonna have gummed on yer mitts, right? So where's that gonna end up, Mac?

BillH
03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the tip, I need to get a pair to do just that.

mochinist
03-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I use my sharpie marker and airgun as a spray painter, just hold the marker tip right in front of the air nozzle and blast some marker paint on.

tattoomike68
03-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I use my tools too. everything is game.

murph64
03-02-2009, 11:44 PM

Something along the lines of "Herculiner on your..." :eek:

:D

Andy

for those that have never seen it - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18595

moldmonkey
03-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Nothing wrong with that.

How's that rhyming slang work on that one? Piddle becomes riddle??? Hampton I have no clue what the orginal word would have been.

Peter N
03-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Nothing wrong with that.

How's that rhyming slang work on that one? Piddle becomes riddle??? Hampton I have no clue what the orginal word would have been.

Hampton Wick.
Which is a borough in London. The rest you can probably work out. :D

Allan Waterfall
03-03-2009, 05:35 AM
I always thought it was rhyming slang for "Hampton Court" where zips are involved.:D

Allan

jackary
03-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Slightly off topic but what about the snobbish geezer that changed his name from Woodcock to Oakhampton
I'll get me coat!
Alan

Your Old Dog
03-03-2009, 07:30 AM
John, I always thought I was dumb as a rock but I'm feeling better this morning. Thanks for the post, I'm feeling better now. I get it, I know what your post is about :D

I think it's a great idea and will butcher/grind one of my valuable DC's today. I always wonder how much I've cocked the DC when using it as a scribe and how much it is really effecting the measurement.

I think the value or money has a lot to do with how we think. I'm sure you would not have done the same and expensive DC. Told the wife, when our settlement is through we need to learn how to think again. Why drive an RV across the country when we could rent houses for a month at a crack and spend some quality time scoping out the territory.

As for the Magic Marker for Dye Kem. Been using it since either Weird or Lazlo mentioned it over a year ago. Great tip.

Oh yea, John, the peanuts? Did you find the peanuts?

John Stevenson
03-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Oh yea, John, the peanuts? Did you find the peanuts?
Damn got side tracked and forgot to look for them, I'll check this afternoon.

Had a nightmare job this morning, had to put four 1mm [ 0.040" ] slots 25mm long [ 1" ] into a sample weld so it could be crack tested.

One at 1mm deep, one at 2mm, one at 3mm and the last at 4mm deep

Needed well over an inch of shank sticking out to get into the vee.

Took 10 tools, what didn't go ping just rubbed the end off, still thought it was Ok though as I had about 12 in my mind.
Didn't even want the stupid chuffing job...........

A.K. Boomer
03-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Iv neither the patience nor the curiosity to try and decipher SJ's language barrier "code" ------------- All I want to know is that the picture of the butchered metal in the background is not of his milling table --- To the point and fully understandable - please tell us that's not your milling table John - even if you have to lie...
:p
Then re-assure us that your not using it as a hacksaw bench.

dockrat
03-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Something along the lines of "Herculiner on your..." :eek:

:D

Andy

for those that have never seen it - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18595

GAWD!!!!!! that has to be the funniest thread I have ever read!!!! LOL :eek:

Liger Zero
03-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Iv neither the patience nor the curiosity to try and decipher SJ's language barrier "code"

I can puzzle a bit of it out but that one threw me for a loop. :D

BadDog
03-03-2009, 12:51 PM
All I want to know is that the picture of the butchered metal in the background is not of his milling table --- To the point and fully understandable - please tell us that's not your milling table John - even if you have to lie...
:p
Then re-assure us that your not using it as a hacksaw bench.

I think you'll find that's his bench vise.

Doozer
03-03-2009, 01:17 PM
I can't wait to try that trick!!

--Doozer

A.K. Boomer
03-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I can puzzle a bit of it out but that one threw me for a loop. :D

I have to admit that iv taken the time to pick them apart in the past --- only to come to the conclusion in the end and then abruptly say to myself "why did I just do that".

John Stevenson
03-03-2009, 03:04 PM
I think you'll find that's his bench vise.
Yup,
Getting ready for a regrind if only for looks. :p

The jaws are just pieces of ground flat stock, no grip pattern just plain as I hate loose jaws, they always fall off just when you don't need them to or tip.

I don't do heavy fitting work so don't need grippy serrated jaws had plain ones for over 20 years with no problem. Don't like hardened ones as if you do ding one by mistake it usually blunts tools.

First time you slip with a brand new quality hacksaw blade it's 1.50 up the duff just to protect something that doesn't matter, ground flat stock jaw is about 1 and a ding won't hurt it.

If it was really important to have hardened vise jaws then someone would be making hardened alloy or fibre loose jaws ???

BadDog
03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I agree completely... and there is a reason I recognized it easily... ;)