PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor

bdarin
01-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Just FYI, I got me a Drill Doctor at Sears last week (the 250 model, $85) and it's probably the best thing I've bought in a long time. This thing is phenominal! Comes with an instructional video and makes even badly worn drills look (and cut) like factory new...or better. I highly recommend the Drill Doctor for resurrecting dead drills from 3/32-1/2".
(Not a paid endorsement, I don't work for Sears or Bob Vila). Comments welcome.

George Hodge
01-01-2002, 09:22 PM
I'm curious to see how long the grinding wheel holds out on your machine,and did you get extras?

Gary Reif
01-01-2002, 10:28 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bdarin:
Just FYI, I got me a Drill Doctor at Sears last week (the 250 model, $85) and it's probably the best thing I've bought in a long time. This thing is phenominal! Comes with an instructional video and makes even badly worn drills look (and cut) like factory new...or better. I highly recommend the Drill Doctor for resurrecting dead drills from 3/32-1/2".
(Not a paid endorsement, I don't work for Sears or Bob Vila). Comments welcome.</font>

I purchased a 500 about a year ago and think it is well worth the $. I've only sharpened about 40 or 50 bits with it the wheel seems to be working as good as new. I like the ability to use the splitpoint feature. I will probable purchase the 3/4 inch collet soon to increase it's capacity. Don't know if your able to turn the wheel over on yours but my manual says it can be turned over for a second life.

------------------

bdarin
01-02-2002, 01:17 AM
The wheel is a diamond wheel, don't know how long it will last but it should be a while. The Drill Dr. Co. will completely refurbish the machine for about $20 when I'm ready. Seems like a good deal to me.

Thrud
01-02-2002, 01:53 AM
The Snap-On dealers sell those to mechanics up here. They like them. But then, none of the guys I know who have them even know how to sharpen a drill. (or could care less)

I like the M-5 that Darex makes - I would even almost pay full retail for one - almost. I can still repoint a drill myself by hand but as my vision worsens (bifocals suck) I am going to have to either get a M-5 or one of those angle gauges that Travers or Starrett make (why does Starrett only have a 118* gauge - what happened to 135*, 90* etc.?).

Nope. Forty bucks is cheaper than $1900 even in Canada. Try to resharpen a 1" drill in that thing - never happen.

I relinquish my soap box now...

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 01-02-2002).]

C. Tate
01-06-2002, 08:18 AM
I have one of those things it is the $120 version goes from 3/32 up to 3/4. I use it to dress the end of dowel pins it seems to do this better that sharpening drills. Makes a good door stop also.

I am glad you can make it work bdarin and more power to you. I just do not like the thing.

John McGlynn
01-20-2002, 06:00 AM
I have one of the 750 series, which I bought mainly to split the points of my drills. I'm very impressed with it's performance, especially the speed.
I can sharpen a drill on the grinding wheel but it takes me forever (probably because I keep putting it off).
Using the Drill Doctor, I sharpened all my Imperial and Metric drills and split the points in 2 hours. A total of about 50 drills.
A facility to sharpen 90 degree points would be a welcome feature.

Jonn

------------------

John McClain
01-20-2002, 10:28 AM
On the Darex, I bought the 3/32 to 3/4 model, used it happily for about a year, the wheel wears fast at first and then settles in, the problem I've had is that after hundreds of bits mostly between 1/8 to 1/2, the cams that provide the clearance and relief angles have worn until they don't work anymore. Mine gives no relief at all anymore. Worth the money, but if you do it for a living buy the m-5, definitely more cost effective. The drill doctor would be fine for me for a home shop use, just doesn't hold up in a commercial environment.

RustyWrench
01-20-2002, 11:06 PM
Listening to you guys makes me want to go out and buy a drill sharpener. I have been doing it free hand so long, it would like buying a new truck. Which model, in your opinion(s, is the best buy; price and longevity wise?

------------------
Russ

KenS
01-21-2002, 02:03 AM
Well, I don't know if it's the best product, but but the Drill Doctor 750 works for me and I got it here: http://www.builderscentral.com/dardrildoc.html

Thrud
01-21-2002, 02:46 AM
The M-5 Darex is a beauty but is not cheap. It will last forever if you treat it with the respect a good tool deserves.

Dave

KACHINKOO
01-31-2002, 04:28 PM
I'VE HAD A DRILL DR. FOR 2.5 YEARS WITH NO COMPLAINTS IF USED FOR WHAT IT WAS INTENDED FOR, HOME SHOP MACHINING. IT WON'T HOLD UP TO A SMALL MARINE FAB SHOP LIKE I WORK FOR THAT AMOUNT OF TIME.I AM NOW ON MY SECOND ONE AND ABOUT TO BUY A DAREX M5 TO REPLACE THE DRILL DR. OTHERWISE, A FINE MACHINE!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bdarin:
(Not a paid endorsement, I don't work for Sears or Bob Vila). Comments welcome.</font>