PDA

View Full Version : Posting CAD Drawings

BigBoy1
03-03-2009, 04:31 AM
How does one post CAD drawings? The only way I know of to post items on this BB is to print the CAD drawing, take a picture of the drawing, load it into photobucket and then post the IMG code. I would think there is some easier way to post drawings. Appreciate any help.

Being Road Kill on the Information Super Highway REALLY sucks!

Bill

John Stevenson
03-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Many ways,

Some CAD programs allow you to save to bmp,
you can hit control print screen and open the clipboard image in something lke Paintshop Pro, Ifranview etc and save as a jpg or png.

Send the drawing to a pdf printer and save the pdf.

Good free program here http://www.cutepdf.com/

You will still have to host the image somewhere like photobucket.

Paul Alciatore
03-03-2009, 04:48 AM
I post CAD drawings the same way I post pictures, using Photobucket. The native CAD file formats, even AutoCAD's file format, are not suitable for WEB publication so you must save the file in a more friendly format. Most CAD programs allow you to do this. Perhaps the most basic format is the bitmap file (.BMP), but these files are not compressed and can be very large. Another very common file format is the JPEG (.JPG). This is a compressed format and the same picture (drawing) JPEG file can be as small as 1/10 the size of a bitmap file.

My CAD program allows me to save in it's own native format, in the AutoCAD (.DWG) format or in a bitmap file (.BMP). I save as a bitmap and then open it in the Windows Paint program found in Accessories. Then I save is as a JPEG and upload that to Photobucket. This does produce some artifacts due to the compression, but it is generally good enough for the BB.

There are file translation programs available that allow you to save a graphics file in almost any other format. They usually cost some nominal anount and you may find one of them useful. I have not tried this as Paint is free and it works.

Mcruff
03-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Depending on the CAD systme you can save them as bmp, gif (graphic) or windows metafiles. My Cadkey will save them as all 3, I usually use gif files. Here is a drawing I used to make the thread protector for my 9" South Bend. This is a gif file saved directly from Cadkey.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/mcruff/Southbend%20lathe/s2.gif

BigBoy1
03-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have tried to do as suggested but can not do it. There is no option to pick the extemsion .bmp when I save my CAD file. The only options I have are: .iges, .dxl, .dwg, .sat, .3dm, .stp and .stl. I tried using Paint to open files with the .dxl and .dwg extensions but it didn't recognize them.

Now what? I'm not very adept at using compters so everything is a big problem.

Bill

Benta
03-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Do like Sir John said and get a PDF creator programme of some sort. They install like a printer, so instead of saving the file, you "print" it to file instead. Works great.

Benta.

gld
03-04-2009, 09:59 AM
If your cad program has an export function, try that instead of save.

Gary

DR
03-04-2009, 10:48 AM
You can do a "PrtScr" of the CAD screen image. That puts the image onto the Windows clip board.

Paste that into your photo editing software and size to your needs. Export as .JPG.

At least that's the way I do it.

RancherBill
03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
The pdf printers are the way to go.

What CAD program are you using?

tyleryoungblood
03-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have tried to do as suggested but can not do it. There is no option to pick the extemsion .bmp when I save my CAD file. The only options I have are: .iges, .dxl, .dwg, .sat, .3dm, .stp and .stl. I tried using Paint to open files with the .dxl and .dwg extensions but it didn't recognize them.

Now what? I'm not very adept at using compters so everything is a big problem.

Bill

I agree with John from above, CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/) works great (I've used it) and its free.

Once you've installed it, it looks like an extra printer on your system, so when you got to print something (anything), you can switch from your current printer to CutePDF writer and hit print. Then, instead of spooling the document to your printer, it pulls up a save screen that allows you to save the printed file as a PDF document. It works great! I've even used it to turn web pages into PDF files for archiving. Print the web page as usual, but use CutePDF instead of your printer, and viola - you've got a PDF copy of the page.

If all else fails, I'd be happy to try and convert the file for you. If I can open it in Solidworks I can usually get it into PDF format. I've also got Autocad if Solidworks fails.

BigBoy1
03-04-2009, 12:09 PM
You can do a "PrtScr" of the CAD screen image. That puts the image onto the Windows clip board.

Paste that into your photo editing software and size to your needs. Export as .JPG.

At least that's the way I do it.

Tried to do it but don't have clue where the Windows clipboard is found and how it works.

BigBoy1
03-04-2009, 12:11 PM
If your cad program has an export function, try that instead of save.

Gary

Gary,

There is no export function, only save or save as.

BigBoy1
03-04-2009, 12:12 PM
The pdf printers are the way to go.

What CAD program are you using?

I'm going to down load the software Sir Jhn recommended. I'm using BobCAD as the CAD program.

BigBoy1
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks to all. I used the Cutepdf to load the drawing below.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t308/i422twains/13mmRd.jpg

jackary
03-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks John, Cutepdf worked for me. I never knew how to transfer files electronically from my old version of Microstation
Alan

topbloke
03-14-2009, 05:21 AM
Yes the best way for others to be able to read your drawings other than have the CAD pasckage that yo drew it in is for you to convert them to PDF. There are a number of free converters available. Cutepdf is but one of these. I had the same problem with Solidedge drawings but was luck enough to have had Adobe Acrobat which does all of this also.:D

Cheers,

Peter.
03-14-2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks to all. I used the Cutepdf to load the drawing below.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t308/i422twains/13mmRd.jpg

Bigboy1 you see how the lines and text are fuzzy-edged and out of focus? That is because you saved it as a jpeg. Lined drawings should be saved as a GIF if you want sharp lines and clear text, and doing so will give you a smaller file size too.

The rule is simple:
For an image with sharp lines/solid colours - save as a GIF
For an image with multi-shaded colours and blended lines (i.e. a photo) - save as a JPG.

Try it and you'll see what I mean.

John Stevenson
03-14-2009, 07:15 AM
why even bother with GIF's and JPG's when you can link the original pdf to the file ?

Test drawing for quality.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/arcs%20test.pdf

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/arcs%20test.pdf

Peter.
03-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Either way is good but I know I have one old laptop that takes for ever to open online pdf's just because of how long it takes to open acrobat reader. Also you can tag a gif/jpg to appear in the thread automatically.

I use pdfill for printing pdf's:

http://www.pdfill.com/

John Stevenson
03-14-2009, 08:01 AM
I will not allow any Adobe software on my computer.
It's just a hog that wants to take over.
Try running Foxit instead.

I think it was Evan who first mentioned this software and it's brilliant, instant opening and no bloatware

Peter.
03-14-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks John - I'll take a look at that. It drags my old lappy to a stop and I can't update it for a new one (actually got a new one) because I need the serial ports for hooking to my bike's fuelling computer and datalogger.

oldtiffie
03-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Peter,

why not see if serial port cards are still available - they were pretty cheap.

Peter.
03-14-2009, 10:31 AM
I'll do that when it finally expires OT. For now it does the job I keep it for - I guess it will be the battery that finally sees it off :)

Circlip
03-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Bikes "Fuelling computor and Data logger"??????????????????????

Can't remember them ont' Veller and Gutzi Peter.

Regards Ian.

loose nut
03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Exporting as a Jpeg file works but there frequently is a quality drop in the drawing resolution, you can get the jaggies.

BigBoy1
03-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Bigboy1 you see how the lines and text are fuzzy-edged and out of focus? That is because you saved it as a jpeg. Lined drawings should be saved as a GIF if you want sharp lines and clear text, and doing so will give you a smaller file size too.

The rule is simple:
For an image with sharp lines/solid colours - save as a GIF
For an image with multi-shaded colours and blended lines (i.e. a photo) - save as a JPG.

Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Peter,

How do you save it as a GIF file?

The only options I have for file extensions in my Photoshop are: PSD, PDD, EPS, JPG, RAW, SCT and TIF. No GIF. The only extension I recognized in the picks I had available was the JPG so that is why I used it.

Peter.
03-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Peter,

How do you save it as a GIF file?

The only options I have for file extensions in my Photoshop are: PSD, PDD, EPS, JPG, RAW, SCT and TIF. No GIF. The only extension I recognized in the picks I had available was the JPG so that is why I used it.

When I last used Photoshop I had to scroll the filetypes to near the top of the list to see GIF as an option. Otherwise you can use the 'save for web' option and set the type as GIF.