PDA

View Full Version : OT Computer Problem: IE crashes when I click on link to photos

Peter S
03-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Can anyone suggest a reason for this?

If there is a forum thread with a link to a photo, I click on the link, the photo opens, then when finished looking, I close it.

I can do this twice, maybe three times, then Internet Explorer crashes and disappears.

I don't have any other problems, nothing crashes or does anything wierd, just when I try to open photos.

If I open a webpage or a forum thread which has photos which automatically appear, I have no problems at all. It is only when I click on a link to a photo.

I had my computer checked out, they could find no problems. I have done the 'housekeeping' things like empty temporary internet files, cookies, defrag etc, it makes no difference. If I check my System 'C' properties, it is half full.

I have been living with it for months simply by not opening many photos....IE has crashed 3 times trying to look at the photos in the Bridgeport quill thread....

Any help greatly appreciated thanks!

Jim Caudill
03-05-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm no expert.....
but you might try going to "internet options" look under the "general" tab. There should be a "settings" button that you can click on for something like "Tabs". Try experimenting with how the links open. Try having them open in a "new window" or "a new tab in the current window". I use the "new tab in current window" personally, but that may not be best for you. IIRC, those pictures pertaining to the cleaning and painting of a BP, are pretty big; don't know for sure if that was the thread you were looking at or not. Big pictures can overwhelm a marginal machine (in terms of ram).

Paul Alciatore
03-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Do you have a good anti virus program and is it up to date? This is an absolute must in today's internet.

Peter S
03-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Jim,

I'll try that, thanks. The thread I mentioned is about the BP quill stop, the photos are small, but still the same problem.

edit: I checked, I use "new tab in current window".

Paul,

I have Norton, always kept up to date, thanks.

GKman
03-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Remove and reinstall cures most software problems for me. Anyone agree?

Big T
03-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I had a lot of problems with IE 7.
Microsoft has IE 8 in a trial version out for free down load(Google it).
After installing it I have had no problems with IE

Liger Zero
03-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I solved all of my IE problems by upgrading to Firefox. :)

MTNGUN
03-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Remove and reinstall cures most software problems for me. Anyone agree?

I just love it when yall post these threads on Windoze problems. It reminds me of the times when I struggled with the similar problems, and why I took the plunge into Linux, eventually finding a comfortable home with Linux Mint.

Mind you, Mint is not perfect, but at least when I encounter a Mint bug, I can go to the Mint forum and talk to the geeks who write the software and usually get some answers.

Remove IE ? YES !!!! If it will let you.

Reinstall IE ? NO !!!!!!! If you don't like Firefox, there's a half a dozen other browsers out there.

Firefox isn't perfect. I was originally attracted to Firefox because it was so much lighter than IE, but in recent years Firefox has become bloated. Still, I haven't found anything better, and I'm addicted to some of the add-ons like Foxmarks and Fireftp.

Liger Zero
03-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Linux is great but I find the lack of decent CAD and 3D software to be an issue.

Otherwise I'd put Linux on the X41 laptop, I got it on both R40s and the desktop at home. :)

I run Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop environment.

Evan
03-05-2009, 12:15 PM
You can't remove IE from XP although you can hide it. Therefore you can't reinstall it.

I suggest you make sure you have the latest updates done including Service Pack 3.

Mike Burdick
03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Have you tried another browser such as Firefox (as Liger suggested) and see if the same problem occurs?