PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Insulted @ car Dealership

GRH
03-05-2009, 11:19 AM
I went into my local Chevy dealer to the parts department to ask about the plastic clips that hold the door trim on, it was on my 1987 GMC/Chevy 4 wheel drive pick up, the parts guy said it was people like me that is causing GM's problems by keeping a old truck running and not buying a new one!
It really made me mad and I told him F.U. and if I was to buy a new truck it would be a Toyota as they have more American made parts in them and are assembled down the road in Georgetown KY.

Graeme

Liger Zero
03-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Good for you.

I guess my old Buick Roadmaster that I keep running is part of the problem as well, along with The Neon That Time Forgot, eh?

TGTool
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
I've walked out of car dealerships too when I felt like I was just being insulted, not listened to, or jerked around.

One was a hunt for a used Toyota for my wife and we went to a Toyota dealer. We told him what model and year range we were looking for. He goes off for a while and comes back saying, "OK, I've got just the car for you." Different model, different mileage range, not even close to what we asked about. So either the guy 1) doesn't listen to a customer at all, 2) thinks I can't tell the difference, or 3) has some lemon on his lot he's been dying to get rid of and he thinks I might be the right fool to hang it on.

If he'd at least said, "Sorry, I don't have one like that, but these other choices might be options for you." I'd have at least stayed and talked with him, but this sounded like time to get on down the road and try another dealer.

I wonder if the owners of some of these businesses have any clue how many customers they're driving away to competitors.

Liger Zero
03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Sales is an art. You have to listen to your customers, find out what they want and find a way to give it to them.

Sometimes... despite your best efforts you cannot please the customer, either because you don't have the product or lack the capability to make a part. It doesn't hurt to be graceful in defeat, that's the true test right there. If you can accept the fact you can't help the customer and direct them to someone you can you'll come across as a better person than if you try to high-pressure someone into something they don't want/need/can't use.

ERBenoit
03-05-2009, 12:43 PM
....the parts guy said it was people like me that is causing GM's problems by keeping a old truck running and not buying a new one!
Graeme

Or you could have told him, "Sure, I'll buy a new truck, as long as you'll make the payments."

....It really made me mad and I told him F.U.
Graeme

:cool:

ninthst
03-05-2009, 12:49 PM
We were looking to buy a new car and went into a Buick dealership. Big place , it looked deserted. We wandered back into the shop and found someone to talk to and was told there was no one on the sales floor because they were having a " sales meeting " . We left.

hardtail
03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
That does stink......tough to say if it's the pressure they're all feeling but it's no excuse and he should be reported to the manager, that guy will drive off business........those clips are available at NAPA, could have said you'll think about buying one when they start making real trucks again.........LOL

Liger Zero
03-05-2009, 12:58 PM
We were looking to buy a new car and went into a Buick dealership. Big place , it looked deserted. We wandered back into the shop and found someone to talk to and was told there was no one on the sales floor because they were having a " sales meeting " . We left.

Got to love it when the all important team meetings become more important than actually doing the job.

Davidhcnc
03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
......the parts guy said it was people like me that is causing GM's problems by keeping a old truck running and not buying a new one!

They (Your sales guy and the Government) seems to have forgotten the enviromental benefits of running the old one.....or was that all just lies to exploit us in another way:confused:

winchman
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Note to new car dealers: Call me when your salesmen no longer start out the conversation with: "How can I earn your business?"

About the only thing they could do to make me less inclined to buy a car is put a Chihauhau in every one I wanted to look at.

Roger

RPease
03-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Last year, my wife was wanting to buy one of those Ford Escape Hybrids. She thought it would save lots of $ on fuel (gasoline was at $4/gal about then) and I tried to convince her that we could put "a lot" of $4 gasoline into the old car for what the new car payments were going to be, but she wouldn't listen to me...........go figure?? Besides.........she was going to get a $2000 tax rebate for buying the Hybrid........that was enough for her.

Anyway, the Ford dealer help my cause........They "tacked on" an extra $2K to the vehicle price (just because they could) and wouldn't budge on the price because (as they said), "If you don't buy it.........someone else will". They were literally "stealing" the government rebate before the person could get it.

When my wife heard that...........she told them to "cram the car where the sun don't shine"......LOL

She still bought a new car.........just wasn't a Ford and not from that dealer...........I really didn't win..........LOL

Peter.
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I went into my local Chevy dealer to the parts department to ask about the plastic clips that hold the door trim on, it was on my 1987 GMC/Chevy 4 wheel drive pick up, the parts guy said it was people like me that is causing GM's problems by keeping a old truck running and not buying a new one!
It really made me mad and I told him F.U. and if I was to buy a new truck it would be a Toyota as they have more American made parts in them and are assembled down the road in Georgetown KY.

Graeme

You'd think that service people in the auto industry would be bending over backwards to provide a sterling service in these uncertain times. Quite what the service guy was hoping to achieve is anyone's guess but he's just guaranteed lost a potential future customer in you, and possibly in your family, friends and anyone who reads this.

If I were in your position and had someone talk down to me like that I wouldn't hesitate in writing a letter/email to GM head office detailing what he said and how I felt about it. Teach the loud-mouth to keep his narrow-minded opinions to himself in future.

dave5605
03-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Dealers and sales people still don't get it. They just don't want to sell what the public wants.

1) had thoughts to order a new 2010 Camaro sight unseen and not available for probably 4-6 months. Was willing to put money down and pay MSRP. Salesman acted like he could care less. Told me they weren't taking orders yet (I knew other dealers across the country were taking orders), would only get a couple of them in and they hadn't figured out how much to mark them up yet. Bah Humbug

2) Went with daughter, cash in hand, She wanted a new, 2500, 4wd, leather interior Chevy Suburban. $6000 off, fine, But it came with a $5200 DVD system and $2000 Bling wheels. They ALL were like that. $58,000 MSRP sticker price. Good by, Bah Humbug.

3) Son in law was ready to buy same Suburban (no bling wheels or DVD players) sight unseen from a dealer 400 miles away. Didn't dicker on price, wanted it delivered. Willing to pay for delivery, price of delivery not important. All done over the phone and via internet. Salesman figured up price, deal was set (ie; call you in AM with delivery info). Then the dealer says 'Oh we can't guarantee/insure the vehicle while being transported. WHAT? I'm willing to pay for it. Nope, sorry forget it.
Bah, Humbug.

I hope every damn, last one of the dealers with their heads you know where go under.

As far as bailouts and they have to buy dealers out, I say let the market forces run their course. Dealers that can't sell cars will go under and the strong ones will survive. No need to buy them out at a equivalent of a 2 year profit/expense cost.

Jeffw5555
03-05-2009, 04:27 PM
The irony of your story is obviously lost to that person behind the counter. With new car sales in the proverbial toilet, parts sales and service are the only thing keeping the dealerships alive at the moment.

You should have told that nimwit that it is guys like you that are keeping him in a job at the moment, and with his attitude, he won't have a job much longer....

Mcgyver
03-05-2009, 04:29 PM
you could have conjugated on GM that has done a wonderful job ensuring their vehicles are on the road for as short a time as possible. Interior door handles that break off in your hand. P'sOS. grrrrrrr

Spin Doctor
03-05-2009, 05:05 PM
While US manufacturers have done a lot of things wrong IMO at least 50% of the domestic manufacturers problems are caused by their dealer networks. Reminds of the guy in Fargo trying to push the clearcoat

Liger Zero
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
you could have conjugated on GM that has done a wonderful job ensuring their vehicles are on the road for as short a time as possible. Interior door handles that break off in your hand. P'sOS. grrrrrrr

Cut costs cut cost cut cost oh but document EVERYTHING because the more DOCUMENTATION you generate means the more QUALITY you have!

TGTool
03-05-2009, 06:07 PM
One of my former bosses desribed going into a car dealership just as new models were hitting the showrooms. He'd seen that the dealer still had a couple cars from the PREVIOUS year and thought they might be willing to dicker on one. The salesman said the price on those would have to be higher than current year models since they'd been paying interest on them all this time. Huh?

saltmine
03-05-2009, 06:44 PM
I hate to disappoint you, Graeme, but keeping an old truck or car isn't what's causing the recession, or the manufacturers needing billions for a bailout.

Your friendly financial institution (savings & loan, bank, etc) is the main culprit. How somebody in the BUSINESS of BANKING can lose billions of dollars, and then go crying to the Feds for more, is beyond me. In every business I've ever been in or associated with, you lose your money...you're out of business. There has NEVER been ANYBODY there to bail me out. EVER!
The auto makers pretty much "did it to themselves"....Stupid marketing moves, poor design, abusing the very people who maintain and repair the cars they sell....Then, showing up in DC on a PRIVATE CORPORATE JET to ask for "bailout" money....How stupid do they think we are?

Good example...2006 F-250 Ford diesel. The exhaust "Y" pipe between the turbocharger and the exhaust manifolds cracks (quite common, really)
Ford pays about 2 hours labor (@$25 an hour) to replace the pipe....
What they DON'T tell you is; the entire cab of the truck has to be removed in order to even get at the pipe...and Ford won't pay you to take the cab off.

Their overhead camshaft V-8 gas engines developed a bad habit of spitting out sparkplugs...Why? Because some overpaid engineer decided that THREE threads would be sufficient to keep a sparkplug secure...in an ALUMINUM cylinder head. And, most of the time, Ford won't warranty the repair, which can cost anywhere from $500 to $4000...
That's why they're in so much trouble....GM has been building their cars and trucks too good, and people are keeping them forever...Not being able to qualify for credit to buy a new car or truck plays right into this plan.

Way too many reputable dealers have gone out of business...because they can't FINANCE the cars on their lots...

Hope you didn't buy the hybrid, RPease. A Ford Escape Hybrid is actually a Mazda Tribute, re-badged, with the price jacked up....When I worked at the Ford Proving Ground, we had several to evaluate, before Ford started selling them. Sluggish accelleration, evil handling, poor brakes, and that CVT transmission seems to be a practical joke Mazda played on Ford...a bad joke.
I remember checking the gas mileage on one....We had a V-8 Lincoln Navigator under test, that got 5mpg better...

Willy
03-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Or you could have told him, "Sure, I'll buy a new truck, as long as you'll make the payments."

That's the beauty of the bailouts...whether we buy a new car or truck or not...we all get to make payments on one.:D

Bmyers
03-05-2009, 09:14 PM
That's the beauty of the bailouts...whether we buy a new car or truck or not...we all get to make payments on one.:D

Yep, that was the point in time that I decided I didn't need a vehicle from the big three. When I get to pay for something I will never get to enjoy or destroy

Mcgyver
03-05-2009, 09:37 PM
you could have conjugated r
drats ...should have been congratulated ......my posting quality is so GM today.

BMSS
03-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I am constantly amazed at how "far afield" you guys get on this site. I used to think it was a site where I could learn some useful ideas to do a better job in my machining. Now it seems like it is nothing more than a site for you members to bash somebody. Today it is the auto industry. Hell, everybody can tell you a story about how they were mistreated, or abused at a dealership. Hey if you don't want to buy their products, just don't buy them. By the way, the auto industry did NOT get a bail-out. That was the banking industry. The auto industry asked for LOANS! That means that unlike the banks that are screwing everybody, they have to repay the money.
Now, can we get back to machining tips and useful info?

GRH
03-05-2009, 09:52 PM
The reason I went there was to find out about the clips holding the door lining, as I had bought some a while back and there is 2 different lengths and I wanted to know which went where, dummy me forgot to make a note when I took the door apart.

Graeme

rohart
03-05-2009, 10:05 PM
This is the first time I've got into the question of OT posts. Sure, this is a site where home machinists talk with each other about home machining. But it's also interesting to hear what people with one's own interests, and, dare I say it, outlook on part of life, have to say about problems other than direct machining issues.

I know we represent a spread of political views, but we all share a way of looking at life with a mechanical/analytical/'nuts and bolts' mentality. We're all crazy enough to spend inordinate amounts of time making chips. Sometimes I like to hear what like minded people think about everyday problems. I find I read most OT posts with as much interest as I read most engineering related topics.

After all, suppose I wanted to read what a few people thought about, say, how car dealerships are responding to current market pressures. What do I do - go find a 'grumpy old man' site where this would be on-topic. Not on your nellie. That would just be so sad. So, all in all, I vote to keep a smattering of OT topics on the go. A bit of a grumble is good for you.

kendall
03-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey Bmss, thread title does say OT.

As for the partsguy, a short while ago I had a similar experience looking for a part for my old 92 Explorer (been a great work vehicle, carries my tools, gets me to the jobsite and gets decent mileage, when it's too rough for a work truck I'll get another and this one will replace my old trail beater.) He didn't use the exact wording, but the meaning was the same. I told him that unless he was driving an 09, he should shut the F up, do his job and give me my parts.
Most comments evoke the 'hmmmph, so what' response, others just demand a less subtle response.

I'm a regular customer at a local auto parts, and get along pretty well with the counter people. A running 'joke' is that if I drove a shoveaway, I wouldn't be needing that part, my response is that if I drove a shovy I'd be needing the whole engine.

Ken.

Mcgyver
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey Bmss, thread title does say OT.

exactly. there's more machining depth here than other home shop sites and one of the ways you keep the interest of such people is a variety of conversations.......don't like a thread, step over it.

JS
03-05-2009, 11:10 PM
My 1979 Oldsmobile is still running ...uses a little oil over 65 mph , but hey its a good work car .. And it was the best price..... free.........5 yrs ago.

Dealers are too pushy

JoeFin
03-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Go back to the same Dealership

Ask to test drive a fully loaded 3500 4 Whl Drive, Dualy, take it out back to test the 4 Wheel Drive REAL GOOD in the mud – make sure you CAKE IT on

Then tell them as you get out from your test drive

“All I really came in here for was these plastic clips”

Oh and you got any more of the Free Coffee?

mwechtal
03-06-2009, 12:29 AM
We used to have a motorhome on a Chevy chassis. It was a '90 I think. Back in about '98 I went to a Chevy dealer to get a pin for the electrical bulkhead connector that goes through the firewall and carries about 50 wires. The car / van / pickup dealer didn't want to find the part, couldn't find a part number, and basically whined until I left.

I went to the GMC truck dealer that didn't carry anything smaller than a dually pickup, and the parts guy literally reached under the counter and came out with a divided plastic box with dozens of different pins. We found the right one in about 10 seconds, and after paying my dollar bill I was out of there.

By the way, I later figured out that the pin burnt out because you couldn't get the battery past the connector without bumping it, so it had probably been loose for a while. Also the headlight circuit ran through that connector twice. On two adjacent pins. No relay, the full current was running through the connector twice, and heating that area of the connector. I'm not saying bad design here, but...

J Tiers
03-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Hmmmmm

When I bought the S10 (soon to be worthless due to disappearance of Chevy), I went to several dealers.

I wanted a "plain truck"..... rubber floor mats, no carpet, no $3500 pinstriping package.

Couldn't get noticed at dealer #1.... salesman was shooting the bull with a service customer, and didn't notice me until I was leaving. Told him if he didn't have time for me, I didn't have time for him OR his dealer.

Another told me that I could NOT BUY such a truck, it wasn't made.

I bought an "almost a fleet" truck from another one, where the salesman just wanted to sell vehicles. he actually dealer-traded it from a different dealer. It was perfect.... rubber mats, no radio, good AC, best type seats, 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual. Just what I wanted.

Rule #1:

If the dealer has lousy salespeople, they probably have good service.

If the salespeople are top notch, the service will suck bigtime.....

Seems to be a law.

wierdscience
03-06-2009, 02:25 AM
For me the last straw was a 93' Chevy 4.3l v-6 which sported a PLASTIC distributor housing.I would have been indifferent,but it was cheaper plastic than the throw away distributor cap.

Circlip
03-06-2009, 09:12 AM
I think all levels of employees in car dealerships should be taught NOT to try to sell cars to Ingineers cos they'll be on a hiding to nothing when it comes to replacement times. Alternately though, when they are prising your hard earned cash out of your vise like, compliments and coffee flow like the rivers of Babylon, but when you've commited, you're sat there like the lining of the local sewer. Bonus earned, job done, Bu**er off.

The stores for replacement parts are fun too. How many of us have approached the smug bu**er leaning on the counter to be asked "Have you got the makers part number" --- Oh yes, I'm a walking encyclopedia of every part ever classified by whichever manufacturer. Shows how long ago I went through this ritual, they still used microfiche readers so definately pre 'Tinternet.

It is however most gratifying, after listening to the diatribe of a "Knowledgable" main agent mechanic explaining how it's going to take X amount of time and Y amount of money to sort the customers "Problem" out and you can say to the guy infront of you "Do this and that, buy one of those and you can fix it in a few minutes", as the advert says, "PRICELESS"

Just think how many more "Clients" they could smooze.

Regards Ian.

Liger Zero
03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
For me the last straw was a 93' Chevy 4.3l v-6 which sported a PLASTIC distributor housing.I would have been indifferent,but it was cheaper plastic than the throw away distributor cap.

Just a quick question... how were you able to determine that it was "cheaper" than the cap? Did it fail on you?

If it did indeed fail then I would agree they designed it based on cost not on the property of the material.

If not, have faith... alot of seemingly "cheap" plastic materials hold up surprisingly well in service. That was the original push behind plastic, get the properties you desire at a lower weight and cost per unit manufactured.

So sad that many many plastic products make it out there after this conversation: "what's the cheapest resin you have and what color can you make it?" :(

hardtail
03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I've heard rumors FWIW that not all the warranty money that should be going to the dealers/service is trickling down from the mothership???????

I guess the biggest question right know if one were to buy that new pickup that the parts fella suggested would the company be around long enough to fulfill it's warranty offerings let alone walk through the door in 2031 and ask about a part for todays truck........lookin pretty doubtful at the moment