PDA

View Full Version : I am going to play the lottery tonight

pressurerelief
03-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I have been dealing with McMaster Carr for about twenty years. On most of my larger orders I use to ask for a new catalog in the "special handling" section or whatever they call it. I have been using catalog 100 for a bunch of years and two years ago gave up asking for a new one and use the online version exclusively. Today in the mail a brand new #115 catalog shows up out of no where. I guess that $42.00 order kicked them into high gear. Actually it must have put me over some number with them. Who Knows, I do not even need it now.

Rick

smiller6912
03-05-2009, 09:57 PM
I've used McMaster Carr heavily for over thirty-five years. They are not the cheapest around but 99.9% of the time my stuff is my shop by 10:00 AM the next day. (I am only a few hundred miles from them and UPS Ground IS next day, so, take that in to account). I have even gone as far as ordering a 1 Ft. bar of 1" dia 11L17 just because I knew it would be here when I needed it. And I have a stack of the old yeller books in the back that go back into the 70's.
Also, I think that they have by far the best website that I have ever used. I compliment them on it and recommend it all of the time. I almost never have any trouble finding exactly what I need and, I need some strange stuff sometimes building machinery enclosures.
Anyway, I just wanted to rant on for a while.
I like McMaster Carr.

gregl
03-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Their catalog policy seems to be a mystery. I've heard of some buyers who place frequent large orders who can't get 'em. A #115 just sold on Ebay for $70 and a 1969 edition went for $150.

wierdscience
03-06-2009, 02:18 AM
I first started doing business with them about 13 years ago.Filled out a credit ap and waited for months but still no account.I kept ordering with a CC every time.One Day I asked the guy on the phone whatever happened to our request for open account?He asked how long ago we had applied and he looked over our file again and said"no,still no account,well you got one now!"

Next day our stuff showed up along with a shiny new #95,we were in at that point:)

macona
03-06-2009, 06:28 AM
We had a new catalog show up at TechShop and we have never even placed and order with them. And it was addressed to us and not the previous owner. Try and wrap your brains around that one!

Rustybolt
03-06-2009, 08:33 AM
I think it depends on how many orders, not necessarily large ones. A couple of times a month over a period of time will get you a catalog.

John Stevenson
03-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Well the new UK J&L /MSC website sucks, that much so I rang them up yesterday and complained only to be told it was working OK.

So you go onto the Advantage catalogue and it says valid until 18 / 3 09, click it and it says no longer available ???

Go to the main catalogue and find what you think you want, click product description and just get a blank page ??

I need to order about 30 to 40 cutters for this weld crack test job and can't even find the damn cutters.

mochinist
03-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Well the new UK J&L /MSC website sucks, that much so I rang them up yesterday and complained only to be told it was working OK.

So you go onto the Advantage catalogue and it says valid until 18 / 3 09, click it and it says no longer available ???

Go to the main catalogue and find what you think you want, click product description and just get a blank page ??

I need to order about 30 to 40 cutters for this weld crack test job and can't even find the damn cutters.I always tell my annoying J&L/MSC rep that their website sucks and that they should copy McMastercarr:)

They sent me two 115's this year, I use their website 90% of the time though. The catalogs are invaluable when you aren't quite sure what you are looking for.

pressurerelief
03-06-2009, 09:33 AM
MSC/J&L needs a catalog to go with the website in order to find something quick. I was looking for a TNMG holder and the search result either gave me every insert on the site or when further narrowing the search using "indexable tooling" only showed boring bars.

I have to admit that I use J&L for their buy five and get 25% off, or yesterdays 35%. Thanks YOD, I would have missed that one.

The one thing McMaster needs to improve is if you want to order multiple items off the same page. When you back up a page it will throw you back to the main item in the search criteria and you have to filter down again. Or maybe I am just missing the boat on that one.

Rick