PDA

View Full Version : Had a good day today

John Stevenson
03-07-2009, 04:19 PM
After getting some flack about all the saw marks on the bed of my mill the other day which turned out to be my vise jaws I decided to hgive them a bit of a clean up.

Removed the jaws and threw then on the swing grinder and nobbled a few thou off them. Cleaned the casting up with a flap wheel, filled my coffee cup up with cast iron dust, tastes a damn sight better now and though about painting the vise before re fitting the jaws..........

Whoooooogh, lets not get carried away, if Ower Gert comes in and finds me with a paint brush that's the end of life as I know it.

Never thought to take a before picture but here's the finished job

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/lathetools2.jpg

Oh yes, forgot to mention, made a few lathe tools as well in case I break a tip or two

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/lathetools1.jpg

Took me most of the day though, can't beat lanes 15 minutes :)

sid pileski
03-07-2009, 04:34 PM
What are all the tool holders for?
Customer, or for your own use?

Sid

John Stevenson
03-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Customer, although I do keep the odd one back if there is any defects on any for personal use.

Sounds brash but these are once only use tools, they go out of portable machine hire and never come back, they either get thrown or stolen. They are chargeable by the hire company so they don't worry unduly.

Need to go over the road on Monday for hardening and blacking and when they come back they look the bizz, adds at least threepence to the value..

motorworks
03-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Not to steal John's post but I too had a great day beside the fact I am suffering from the flue and I got a great deal to do before Monday!!

Now the main part of this post, a contest to name as many things as you can in the background of John's pics above.
I saw bronze,matches,capactor...

John Stevenson
03-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Where's the matches ?
Been looking for them all week.

PS it's brass BTW.

ClintonH
03-07-2009, 05:35 PM
They look great now.:D I see a ball pein hammer, allen wrench, duct tape, a bearing, a gear. All this with a hang over too.:o

Clinton

SDL
03-07-2009, 05:42 PM
They look great now.:D I see a ball pein hammer, allen wrench, duct tape, a bearing, a gear. All this with a hang over too.:o

Clinton

No way its a spanner (Wrenches haven't crossed the pond yet)and there's a pencil with a rubber on the end:D

Steve Larner

Peter.
03-07-2009, 05:44 PM
3/8" T-handle allen wrench :)

Timleech
03-07-2009, 06:44 PM
No way its a spanner (Wrenches haven't crossed the pond yet)and there's a pencil with a rubber on the end:D

Steve Larner

Allen key, surely? Never heard them called spanners before.
Oily rag, looks as though it was once a candlewick bedspread ;)
J&L flyer.

Tim

derekm
03-07-2009, 07:17 PM
3/8" T-handle allen wrench :)
no such thing its an Allen key

hornluv
03-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Looks like a small screwdriver and a file too and a big yellow mystery box.

SDL
03-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Allen key, surely? Never heard them called spanners before.
Oily rag, looks as though it was once a candlewick bedspread ;)
J&L flyer.

Tim

No, to the right of the Pencil with rubber and the Allen Keys is a spanner, just see the ring end in front of the Restored vice, Open end is up by the bearing (For headstock trials:D).

Birmingham Screwdriver looks like it could with a restoration on the shaft.

davidh
03-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Oh yes, forgot to mention, made a few lathe tools as well in case I break a tip or two

and there is the reason for jigs and fixtures. i would like to see the set up you use to make those tool holders. . . and im certain others would too.
davidh

John Stevenson
03-07-2009, 09:20 PM
I'll get a few pic's tomorrow, well later today now as it's 1:20am here.

Nothing special, they are milled 8 at a time, drilled and tapped 3 at a time, only one actual jig used and 3 degree angle block out of a standard import set.

PS,10mm allen tee handle, bearing is off an inverse rotor, that's a motor where the shaft is held fixed and the motor rotates used a lot on fans for some reason, a right bitch to do.
yellow box is actually a small piece of laminate flooring I was stamping some plates on to prevent marks. Pencil is a pencil believe it or not, never re-sharpen one, the pencil factory is literally 50 yards up the road, when I run out of pencils or pens I walk up and ask for a box of rejects and they give me a big box full where the printing is smeared or miss formed

motorworks
03-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Great job John
I always enjoy the pics so do post more in the am
and remember the clocks "spring ahead" tonite!
e

John Stevenson
03-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Great job John
I always enjoy the pics so do post more in the am
and remember the clocks "spring ahead" tonite!
e

Not for us

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/clockchange.html?n=136

March 29th for us

Your Old Dog
03-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Actually I think I had a better day. First off, I didn't have to wet any paint brushes today and Second off I attended a Ham Fest and struck gold, ah, errrrrr aluminum. Guy had 11 round bars of aluminum 1 7/8"s round by 11 inches long in really nice shape and I got them for all for $10.00 :D Nice to have some stock sitting up on the shelf. (for those who don't know, a Ham Fest is a sort of flea market for Ham radio operators)

Jim Caudill
03-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Ham Fest, you say? Never heard of anything like that around here.... (see my location) :)

clutch
03-08-2009, 04:52 AM
I had a pretty good day also. I've been helping my pilot light for the gas range with a match, takes a few times to get the broiler to stay on. Finally got irritated, removed pilot line and sucked on it. Didn't feel like trying to air up the compressor, charge a portable bottle and blow on it. Tip, you can suck harder than you can blow. I can't say the after taste of mercaptan goes with rib eye steak.

Anyway, now when I turn on the gas, the pilot flame jumps out and engulfs the thermocouple with main burner start soon after.

I also ran into my ex and her boyfriend at Sears. They were shopping for a garage door opener. Nice seeing her, I still miss her from time to time but the times I don't miss her are more often. Bastard being out of work and living off of her, well that one was priceless.

Clutch

HSS
03-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Ham Fest, you say? Never heard of anything like that around here.... (see my location) :)

Ham fest around here is the third thursday in November.:D

Tip, you can suck harder than you can blow.

Wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot, uh never mind.

Nice job Sir John. I remember you saying you send out 4 tools with each job and they don't come back, if I remember correctly. Talk about job security.

Patrick

A.K. Boomer
03-08-2009, 11:57 AM
After getting some flack about all the saw marks on the bed of my mill the other day which turned out to be my vise jaws I decided to hgive them a bit of a clean up.

I had no idea my little comment was going to raise such a ruckus --- but now that were at it - how bout trimming your finger nails a couple times a year,
Maybe even a breath mint now and then wouldn't hurt either (that last digs for your co-workers ----- have to add I don't have proof of it -- call it an "unlucky guess"):p

Jesting aside, The U.S. army has a saying "we get more done before 6:00 AM then most people do all day" They used the word "most" because it keeps them honest for exceptions like you, Nice job on the vise, glad its not your mill table...

Your Old Dog
03-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Actually that is technically not a ham fest. We hams call it the Mecca of ham radio :D

Your Old Dog
03-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Bastard being out of work and living off of her, well that one was priceless.

Clutch

You didn't slip any merchandise with the alarm system thingys in his coat pocket! Another missed opportunity.

John Stevenson
03-08-2009, 03:42 PM
I also ran into my ex and her boyfriend at Sears. They were shopping for a garage door opener.
Clutch

???
Didn't you say the garage door opener was with her ?

John Stevenson
03-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Jigs for lathe tools.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/lathetools4.jpg

Overview of the jig, held in the vise on the CNC mill.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/lathetools5.jpg

Close up with 3 scrap tools fitted to show layout. Tapered cutter to form the correct pocket fitted to the spindle.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/lathetools3.jpg

Last shot, setup for drilling the clamp screw at 3 degrees to give the head an angle to bit onto the insert. Tapered wedge used out of an import set. Drilled 3 at a time then tapped using the air tapper whilst still clamped up.

Peter.
03-08-2009, 07:18 PM
John - your workshop is looking worryingly tidy nowadays. Is everything alright?

Alistair Hosie
03-08-2009, 07:23 PM
NICE JOB jOHN ANY CHANCE OF A MONT BLANC PENCIL OR144 PER CHANCE:DALISTAIR

clutch
03-08-2009, 09:03 PM
???
Didn't you say the garage door opener was with her ?

He is laid off, likely in bed when she heads off to work. An out of work gentleman would get up, warm up the car and open the garage door for her.

Guess she needs the machine.

Clutch

John Stevenson
03-08-2009, 09:19 PM
NICE JOB jOHN ANY CHANCE OF A MONT BLANC PENCIL OR144 PER CHANCE:DALISTAIR

None of these cheap wooden pencils have Mont Blanc printed on them.
Got University of Glasgow any good ? or York Railway Museum ?

davidh
03-08-2009, 10:26 PM
neat setup,. thanks for sharing.

i am also impressed with the simple swarf pan under your vice.
it is UNDER your vice is it not ?

i will make one tomorrow, what a mess saver.

i've often wondered how other guys can do all this work and have a spotless mill. . .

thanks again.

DickDastardly40
03-09-2009, 04:45 AM
i am also impressed with the simple swarf pan under your vice.
it is UNDER your vice is it not ?

I would guess it is a drip tray to stop coolant running off of the extremeties of the vice rather than a swarf pan.

Either way good idea and simple as most good ideas are.

John Stevenson
03-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Dick's correct it is more for coolant than swarf.
Unless you orient a vise along the bed they invariably stick out and this forms a track for coolant to fill your boots up.

The tray is put on the bed first and the vise fitted to it, there is a row of holes and slots to allow different jig plates, vises and rotabs to file with the other holes lining up with the tee slots for drainage.

The screen is just some scrap semi flexible plastic in 3 pieces fasted together by piano hinging so it folds flat for storage, there is a clear front piece, not shown that can clip on to form a closed square for when I use a good supply of coolant.

Helps keep it less messy, I don't worry too much about clean after all it's a working shop not a show piece. Also helps reclaim the coolant which isn't cheap now.

When I started soluble oil was 20 a 5 gallon drum or 25 litres, the cheapest is now about 45 and they have dropped the drum size from 25 litres to 20 litres.