PDA

View Full Version : treadmill motor controller delay

tamartin
03-08-2009, 09:04 AM
I have just adapted, a treadmill motor to drill press, and have a problem with about a 4 second delay, from the time i turn it on , till it starts.. It is a old mc-30 controller.. Does anyone know how to correct this??

GKman
03-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Patience

<Sound of knee slapping laughter>

winchman
03-08-2009, 10:00 AM
The variable speed drill press at the school also has a delay when the speed is set very low, but it's only a little over a second. It's not as bad when the speed is set higher.

Roger

topct
03-08-2009, 10:09 AM
If that is a treadmill controller, it sounds like the soft start they build into the controller. It is a safety feature to keep the motor from starting instantly while you are standing on the treadmill. There may be a way to override it but I have never heard of anyone doing it.

wierdscience
03-08-2009, 11:19 AM
There is probably a surface mount pot on the board used to set the accel limit.Find it and you could probably tune it to your liking.

planeman
03-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Lets view this as a carefully thought out addition you added to the circuit that allows you to turn on the machine and get your hand back to holding the piece to be drilled . . . at least that is what you say to friends when you show them your masterpiece. ;)

Planeman

JoeFin
03-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Have a schematic?

Try looking on GE's site - They built the thing

Evan
03-08-2009, 11:36 AM
That's a really old model. Can you take a closeup of the board from directly overhead and post it?

The Fixer
03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm sure you're not holding the workpiece by hand as may have been suggested above...... on accounta it's a good way to get hurt...

A suggestion re: 4sec delay.... push the start button 4 seconds before you want to drill the hole. Just my attempt at humour!

But seriously I have a friend that lost a finger and effective use of 2 others from holding a workpiece in a drillpress! Tore the finger off tendons and all, pretty grim event and I am almost phobic watching people on a drillpress now.

Be safe guys.
al

tamartin
03-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for your concern, I have been a toolmaker for 35 years building progressive stamping dies. I just started a home shop to build minature engines.

japcas
03-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm sure if you posted a picture of the board someone here could may be able to help you fix that. I have a small bandsaw that I put a dc motor on and the potentiometer that controls motor rpm has to be turned down to 0 before it will start. Like was said this is a safety for the treadmill but maybe not needed for a machine tool. I never bothered to see if I could improve it, I just got used to it. Good luck.

J Tiers
03-08-2009, 07:20 PM
You can defeat it,

There is info somewhere, maybe the rec crafts metalworking site, on how to do it.

tamartin
03-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I found out that the delay is in the design of the mc-30 controller, so I decided to upgrade to a mc-60, which is a much better design and does not have the soft start, and will work fine with the exisiting dc choke.. Thanks to all for there comments !!

alsinaj
03-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I bought a bunch of treadmill motors from Surplus Center that came with controllers that had to be turned down to zero before the motor could be re-started. I hacked the board to eliminate this feature. It has been running fine for many years. The hack involved severing some lands and bridging others. I have the photos of the board and the hacks somewhere. But it will only work if it's the same board. Can you post photos?

topct
03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I happen to like the soft start feature and have found a way to make it more user friendly.

With the controller I have that came with the motor, if I break the connection on the center lug (wiper connection) of the control pot the motor will come to a stop. Making the connection again will soft start the motor and it will come up to whatever speed the pot was set at.

mr bill
03-10-2009, 10:46 PM
anyone able to post pictures of the circuit boards yet? or maybe the rec crafts site? or is that the actual name to search for the site?

thanks