PDA

View Full Version : Finally Completed my Way OT Project

BigBoy1
03-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I know this project is WAY Off-Topic but I had to post it to give you all some idea of big project on which I have been working.

Back in 1993, I took a week long, hands-on course in carving of carousel horses and I started my horse then. At that time I was working full-time and the project was shuttled into a corner to have a place for dust to settle and not touched for many, many years.

In Feb 2008, our first grandchildren were born, identical twin girls. I decided to turn my much unfinished carousel horse into a rocking horse for the girls and any other grand children that may be coming. Since I now was retired, and I had the time, I went back to work on the horse. I figured that if I got busy on it, I would have it done while there were children and not completed when they are teens! Pictured below are the results of about 1,900 hours of work.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t308/i422twains/Horse1.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t308/i422twains/Horse2.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t308/i422twains/Horse3.jpg

This horse was my very first wood carving effort and I think it turned out very well. The wood used was basswood as it an excellent wood for carving. The parts are made from many smaller pieces of wood glued together to form the parts and to ensure the wood grain is properly oriented. The body is hollow while the head, neck, tail and legs are solid. The horse is 56” tall from the floor to the top of the mane on the head and the rocking base is 74” from end to end. The color paints are acrylic and it has about total of 12 to 15 coats of primer, color and sealer. It is going to be kept at Grandpa’s and Grandma’s house for the grandchildren to play with while they visit.

Now I can get back and spend full-time on the restoration of my SB 13” lathe!

Thanks for looking.

S_J_H
03-08-2009, 11:57 AM
That is an extraordinary project! You are very talented!!

I am sure your rocking horse will now be a very proud family Heirloom.

Steve

A.K. Boomer
03-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Thats unreal, its beyond anything I can imagine doing -- 1900 hours -- you have the patients of Jobe --- your work is perfect,
The hillbilly engineer is hollering at me and asking how those feet are anchored to the base wood, Due to the horse being in the prancing mode and there being not only just three feet but barely a "stance" sideways between them -- Im not seeing fore and aft problems at all, but do hope when the kids are "horsing around" with getting off and on and stuff that she holds her own with those forces, Of course -- I may be thinking of how me and my brothers beat the crap out of our rocking horse and your grandkids might actually be "normal" children;) (normal meaning riding one at a time without weapons and such):p

Good duty.

japcas
03-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Bill, that is a great looking horse. I'm sure your proud of it. I'm sure the rest of the guys don't care if it's "Off Topic" or not either. Most here can appreciate the work that went into it even if it is something they may never undertake. That is the great thing about this forum, the varied talents from all of the members. Got a question about woodworking, electronics, photography, metal working or anything else, chances are good that somebody here can help. Thanks for sharing.

BigBoy1
03-08-2009, 12:57 PM
The hillbilly engineer is hollering at me and asking how those feet are anchored to the base wood, Due to the horse being in the prancing mode and there being not only just three feet but barely a "stance" sideways between them.

Boomer,

The horse is bolted to the rocking frame by three 7/16" bolts. The bottom of each hoove was hollowed out enough to accomadate a 1.5" square plate of 1/8" steel. The center of this plate drilled with a 1/2" hole and each corner had a countersunk hole for the attaching the plate to the bottom of the hoof with wood screws. A 7/16" nut was centered over the 1/2" hole and welded to the back of the plate. The plate with the nut welded on the back was put into the hollowed out hoof, ensuring that it was flush to the bottom of the hoof. The four wood screws secured the plate in place. Under each hoof is a piece from a rubber inner tube to prevent any metal plate/rocking base contact and proved cushioning.

The method to locate the holes in rocking base was done with 7/16" set screws. The set screws were screwed into each hoof with the point facing out. The horse was centered on the base and pressure was used to force the points of the set screws into the wood. The indentations were then drilled and the bolts inserted from the bottom and screwed into the nuts in the bottom of each hoof.

shoprat
03-08-2009, 01:11 PM
that my friend is a beautiful piece of work destined to be handed down to generations of kids and the stories about"grandpa built that".congrats on a
great job!

Your Old Dog
03-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Damn nice job! If you ever get up to Niagara Falls NY, not far from there is the City of Tonawanda. They have an old Merry Go Round factory rebuilt and volunteers there carve these horses.

Here's there web page which sucks compared to the actual museum.

A.K. Boomer
03-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Boomer,

The horse is bolted to the rocking frame by three 7/16" bolts. The bottom of each hoove was hollowed out enough to accomadate a 1.5" square plate of 1/8" steel. The center of this plate drilled with a 1/2" hole and each corner had a countersunk hole for the attaching the plate to the bottom of the hoof with wood screws. A 7/16" nut was centered over the 1/2" hole and welded to the back of the plate. The plate with the nut welded on the back was put into the hollowed out hoof, ensuring that it was flush to the bottom of the hoof. The four wood screws secured the plate in place. Under each hoof is a piece from a rubber inner tube to prevent any metal plate/rocking base contact and proved cushioning.

The method to locate the holes in rocking base was done with 7/16" set screws. The set screws were screwed into each hoof with the point facing out. The horse was centered on the base and pressure was used to force the points of the set screws into the wood. The indentations were then drilled and the bolts inserted from the bottom and screwed into the nuts in the bottom of each hoof.

You've almost convinced me that it would hold me and 6 of my brothers, although some of us have gained a little weight since then...

dockrat
03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Bigboy that is wonderful!!! I know that my grandkids would be thrilled with that!

Here's there web page which sucks compared to the actual museum.

YOD...you forgot to post the link

Oldbrock
03-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey Grandad, that's just awesome

Errol Groff
03-08-2009, 03:44 PM
That is totally awsome! A few years back we visited the Richland Carrousel Park in Mansfield OH. We were lucky enough to get a tour of the shop where they carve the horses and I can appreicated all the effort you put into the project.

Thanks for sharing and I echo the sentiment that all sorts of creativity are welcome here.

http://www.richlandcarrousel.com/

Errol Groff

doctor demo
03-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I can't even carve good slivers:D .
That is one fine piece of work:) with the documentation the great great grandkids could probably turn that into a small fortune if Antiques Roadshow is still on :D .

Steve

laddy
03-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Sharp as a tack!! Great Work

abn
03-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Very nice!

john hobdeclipe
03-09-2009, 09:14 PM
You have two very fortunate grandchildren.

wierdscience
03-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Very nice work!

tony ennis
03-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Awesome! Well done!

Mcgyver
03-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Beautiful work, just outstanding. way to go Bill

LES A W HARRIS
03-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Well Done, memory lane, I recall mine, front & rear feet stretched out, but carved horse.

Your little ones will look back with fond memories, in about seventy years.

Cheers,

oil mac
03-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Big Boy, That is most exemplary work, No Way, is workmanship of that calibre off topic We are lookin forward to seeing your South Bend next You have created a very fine family heirloom, You have earned our admiration big time.