PDA

View Full Version : Wayoil ??

Big T
03-08-2009, 05:10 PM
The manual for my lathe says to use machine oil on the ways. Is this wayoil?
What do you guys use on the ways? I have used engine oil, but not sure about it, as it may not stick on that great. What about STP oil treatment, that sticks to everything.
For the gearbox I used Castrol SAE 30w non-detergent.

Thanks

Did a search, not much turned up.

doctor demo
03-08-2009, 05:24 PM
The manual for my lathe says to use machine oil on the ways. Is this wayoil?
What do you guys use on the ways? I have used engine oil, but not sure about it, as it may not stick on that great. What about STP oil treatment, that sticks to everything.
For the gearbox I used Castrol SAE 30w non-detergent.

Thanks

Did a search, not much turned up.
You better put on Your fire proof suit:D ,there is going to be trouble heading in Your direction:eek: .

I use Mobil Vacuuline , Enco has ''way'' oil in one gallon jugs IIR.
I have My Nomex near by:D , so I'll admit to running Dexron ATF in My Leblond and have had no problems at all.

Steve

Norman Atkinson
03-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Use Liquid Paraffin which was the original 'Way Oil'

( Err uhm, in more ways than one)

For piles of swarf?

Oops,

Norm

Duffy
03-08-2009, 05:35 PM
The manual for MY lathe says to use 30wt oil on the cross feed oilers which feed the ways. It is NOT way oil, but you would think that the manufacturer has SOME idea of what should be done. In fact the maual is REAL simple:- use 30 wt oil in the gearbox, the apron and ALL the gits oilers. Duffy

.RC.
03-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Ok I will start the ball rolling with three little words..

Chain Bar Oil... :D

J Tiers
03-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Use whatever you want, or run the ways bone dry.

"way oil" just makes it easier for you. If you don't want that, use vaseline....... or tar....... or chain oil, or whale snot....... we don't care how hard you make it for yourself!

airsmith282
03-08-2009, 07:24 PM
i use SAE 30w non-detergent on every part of my lathe no problems here

for the tranny/gear box they say 10 or 20 wt but i use the 30 and works great and fairly quiet running as well been over 4 years now and the lathe is not complaing any

tiptop
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't use new oil, to expensive. Wait till you do an oil change and use that. Jay

John Stevenson
03-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't use new oil, to expensive. Wait till you do an oil change and use that. Jay

Good idea and you can go the whole way and put all the swarf and turnings in your car.

davidh
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
only if you drive a mercedees diesel (sorry i couldn;t help myself)

if you make 10,000 parts a month it may be important to use way oil, otherwise, just keep it clean and wet with lube. . . imho

real way oil is probably the best.

JoeFin
03-08-2009, 10:40 PM
On an older manual machine a little ATF goes a long way to clean out the wicks and get the single shot oiler working properly again.

The paraffin base oils dry out and gum up after time.

But I use Mobile Vectra medium

BillH
03-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Way oil is cheap, and for hobby use, lasts a very long time.. So why not?

Big T
03-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys. I will see if I can find some wayoil in town.
Shell, Castrol and Mobil are some of the bigger names I found on the web that make the stuff.
Is wayoil quite sticky and thick or does it flow like 30w oil?

lazlo
03-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Is wayoil quite sticky and thick or does it flow like 30w oil?

Number 2 way oil has the same viscosity as 30 weight motor oil, but way oil has tackifiers which allow the oil to cling to the ways, without increasing the viscosity. The tackifiers greatly reduce the stiction of the sliding ways.

Motor oil (and ATF) have a ton of detergents, which hold dirt, swarf, soot in suspension. That's not a good thing for a machine way...

Jpfalt
03-08-2009, 11:25 PM
If you want to get the "original" original way oil go get a couple of pounds of blubber and render it down to whale oil. that was the standard for over 100 years.

lazlo
03-08-2009, 11:36 PM
For way oil? I saw that in "Advanced Machine Work" for coolant, but I didn't know they used it for way oil too. So whales have natural tackifiers? :)

Willy
03-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Whale oil, especially sperm whale oil was and still is a highly sought ingredient for lubricants. It was used in everything from instrument oils to automotive transmission oil additive. Sulfurized whale oil had many exceptional lubricating characteristics that were not obtainable with petroleum based oil. Machine shop based lubricants would surely fall under one of it's many applications.
Only after a world wide moratorium on whaling in the early 70's, and the widespread development of synthetic lubricants (partially spurred on by the unavailability of whale oil) were suitable substitutes found that could replace whale oil.

tiptop
03-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Big T,
I should not have suggested used automotive oil. For that I apologize, I could not hold myself back from it. Use the recomended machine oils as stated by others.
Jay

Teenage_Machinist
03-09-2009, 12:43 AM
I just use "machine oil" but probably should get a gallon of way oil. How much of that stuff does one expect to use a year, on a lathe the size of mine (8 inch)

J Tiers
03-09-2009, 12:47 AM
In 4 or 5 years, I'm halfway through a gallon. And I gave my father-in-law a pint or so.

slugger
03-09-2009, 01:20 AM
I don't use way oil because it IS so tacky. It seems to collect everything. This is fine in a shop with regular maintenance schedules and special machine cleaning fluids but hardly necessary in a home shop where you can keep an eye on it.
I use hydraulic oil in the gearboxes as specified, but I use 10 wt synthetic motor oil for the lubrication points and wipe it off each time I am done. The soluble oil in the flood system probably does enough on the ways- I worry more about the cross-slide and compound running smoothly myself. Way oil seems to gum them up more.

wment
03-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Ringer
I am surprised no one jumped on the chain saw bar oil. It is cheap, readily available and very clingy like way oil. Automotive oil seems to slide off too quick. I rub it in engine cylinders I just bored to keep them rust free longer than reg oil. I do use standard way oil on my machines though.

dan s
03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't use way oil because it IS so tacky. It seems to collect everything. what way oil are you using? Vactra 2 works just fine.

lakeside53
03-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Ringer
I am surprised no one jumped on the chain saw bar oil. It is cheap, readily available and very clingy like way oil. Automotive oil seems to slide off too quick. I rub it in engine cylinders I just bored to keep them rust free longer than reg oil. I do use standard way oil on my machines though.

A great deal of cheap chainsaw oil is recycled whatever with marginal (if any) tackifiers.

SOME premium brands are decent quality.

Stihl chainsaw oil is virgin and uses a decent quantity of Paratac as the tackifier. The sumner weight is a bit heavy, but the winter weight is fine. Oh... at $13 a gallon, I'd buy Vactra from Enco...

howiesatwork
03-12-2009, 10:23 AM
We had six unopened five gallon pails of Vactra 2 at work that we used for the slip plates on our shakers, but some idjit decided to clean up, and sent them to a recycling place (and had to pay them to take it)...
If I'd have known they were going to do that, I'd have taken them all home, and have more than the gallon I swiped when I took their mill home...