PDA

View Full Version : Colchester paint colors

TexasTurnado
03-09-2009, 01:11 AM
I am repainting (rebuilding might be more accurate - but that's another story :) ) a Clausing Colchester 15x50 8000 series lathe, and wonder if anyone can identify the equivalent colors of paint needed from any US paint company. The machine was repainted prior to my ownership with a lighter color on top and black on the bottom, so I do not have good samples to take to the paint shop for them to match. Thanks in advance for any inputs.

TexasTurnado
03-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, dang - I guess I'll just have to paint her pink then. :eek:

lazlo
03-10-2009, 10:50 AM
John, did you get my email yesterday that the primer came in? I'll try to split it into buckets tonight.

TexasTurnado
03-11-2009, 02:59 PM
John, did you get my email yesterday that the primer came in? I'll try to split it into buckets tonight.

Yes, I did and sent a reply - did you get it?

What do you think of painting Ms Colchester Mary Kay pink? :)

Actually, I was able to scrape the black off a section of one panel to expose the original color below. I don't know it it will be good enough for a good match, but it's better than nothing.

It seems all of the original gray has aged due to uv, etc and now looks like it's oil stained. I tried color sanding with 600 so I at least have somewhere to start. Their camera needs at least a 3in sq flat sample for a test.

SDL
03-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I am repainting (rebuilding might be more accurate - but that's another story :) ) a Clausing Colchester 15x50 8000 series lathe, and wonder if anyone can identify the equivalent colors of paint needed from any US paint company. The machine was repainted prior to my ownership with a lighter color on top and black on the bottom, so I do not have good samples to take to the paint shop for them to match. Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Don't know if US Colchesters were same as UK but have a read on Yahoo colchester group.

I Guy here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColchesterLathe-User/message/373

Believes UK machines to be

BS 381C 694 Dove Grey
BS 18 B 29 Raven

Steve Larner

TexasTurnado
03-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Don't know if US Colchesters were same as UK but have a read on Yahoo colchester group.

I Guy here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColchesterLathe-User/message/373

Believes UK machines to be

BS 381C 694 Dove Grey
BS 18 B 29 Raven

Steve Larner

Thanks for the tip regarding the Colchester group - I didn't realize there was a separate group for Colchesters vs Clausing. I subscribed to the Clausing group and posted my paint question there, but got no responses :o

I looked on the Colchester group last night for a bit and found some interesting pictures in addition to the paint thread.

SDL
03-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the tip regarding the Colchester group - I didn't realize there was a separate group for Colchesters vs Clausing. I subscribed to the Clausing group and posted my paint question there, but got no responses :o

I looked on the Colchester group last night for a bit and found some interesting pictures in addition to the paint thread.

Have a look here for online BS paint chart

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/BS381%20Colourchart.asp?pType=&pFinish=

Steve Larner

lazlo
03-12-2009, 08:12 PM
John, I tried to get Sherwin-Williams to match colors off a paint chip sheet like that and for Polane, they were only able to get within hand grenade distance.

I'd just pick a color you like. Pink sounds good...

Bill Pace
03-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I had this problem with the little Porter-Cable shaper I rebuilt - knew it was a puky katydid green and had some pretty good areas on the bottom of the vise, but like y'all Sherwin-Williams couldnt get the computer to read it. So me and the really nice, helpful guy - that was a pleasant surprise! just pored over the color chips and I finally chose one that looked 'close'.

TexasTurnado
03-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Have a look here for online BS paint chart

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/BS381%20Colourchart.asp?pType=&pFinish=

Steve Larner

I looked and tried to print off a copy, but it would not print. Is there a trick that's not obvious to make it work?

I plan to visit my local paint suppliers Monday and see if they can cross over these colors to their stock.