PDA

View Full Version : PM site down 2 days now???

Carld
03-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I get a "data base error" when I try to go to the PM site. Is that what ya'll are getting too?

Langanobob
03-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I've been getting the same error. Sure hope everything was backed up. There was a LOT of very good info stored on that board.

JCHannum
03-11-2009, 11:39 AM
It works for me, and I have had no problems in the past few days.

bob ward
03-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Working OK for me, but I see one of the recent topics asks if anyone else is getting DB errors

thistle
03-11-2009, 12:22 PM
i had the same problem ,i just used a search engine and got there, now i log on normallyas before , so trythat see if it works.

Liger Zero
03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
It's been up and down over the last few days.

Mark McGrath
03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I got database error also yesterday when running Mozilla but opened ok in Explorer.Today it`s just not available in both browsers.
M of PM did mention in a post that he has some new fix for something getting carried out this week.

thistle
03-11-2009, 12:34 PM
nope that didnt work, somethings shagged over there,or over here or inbetween or somewhere.

dp
03-11-2009, 12:36 PM
It definitely is having problems. The database engine that is used to store all the data (all the posts and forum structure are database data) is mishandling queries. Being a Linux system it is probably using MySQL and it's got data corruption of some kind or the file system is broken. It takes 30 minutes of downtime to do validity checks on both.

What would really bite is if the file system doesn't support large files (greater than 2gig), and one or more tables or logs has exceeded that limit. Then there's odd things like the Storage Area Network has a bad switch or gbic or some other mechanical failure or the network interface on the data network has come up in half-duplex mode on a full duplex switch or vice versa. And if neither SAN nor NAS are used and he's got only stand-alone internal disks then one of them could be going gunnysack or run out of inodes.

mochinist
03-11-2009, 12:37 PM
I hope Don is a better machinery salesman than he is at running a site, that pos site always has some sort of issues it seems.

Not working for me either

Jim Caudill
03-11-2009, 12:42 PM
I check out the PM website about 10 times per day (just as I do here) and I haven't had any trouble. I'm totally baffled that some of you have been experiencing these issues. Could it be a regional/geographical issue?

I just checked-in over there and I am now seeing the same error message, but this is the first time. Everything has been pretty much normal over the last several days, until now. It was working fine around 4am today, as this was the last time I checked-in prior to going to bed.

dp
03-11-2009, 12:49 PM
I check out the PM website about 10 times per day (just as I do here) and I haven't had any trouble. I'm totally baffled that some of you have been experiencing these issues. Could it be a regional/geographical issue?

I just checked-in over there and I am now seeing the same error message, but this is the first time. Everything has been pretty much normal over the last several days, until now. It was working fine around 4am today, as this was the last time I checked-in prior to going to bed.
It is a growing problem. It was sporadic yesterday with one or to pages broken. This am it's completely hosed.

As of 9:26am today it's all working again.

lazlo
03-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I hope Don is a better machinery salesman than he is at running a site, that pos site always has some sort of issues it seems.

You need to consider that PracticalMachinist is many times larger (number of members, threads, and posts) than Home Shop Machinist forum.

I did have some sporadic connection issues yesterday, but I posted a thread in the VFD forum and have gotten a bunch of responses, so PM's obviously working for some...

dp
03-11-2009, 02:07 PM
There's another problem with smaller systems and even some larger systems and that is concurrency. The system, files, and DB can all be perfectly healthy but there's too many connection attempts for available allocated socket space so a query can fail. That causes a retry storm as people hit reload, and it runs away at that point. It calms down after a proper interlude of people backing off. Without getting too geeky, a tcp/ip socket is established between the visitor and the server, and that has a minimum time to live after the visitor has moved on. If that ttl is too long and the site is too busy it can run out of socket assets.

What makes this an interesting possibility is the recent addition of RSS he's added. If a lot of people are subscribed to his RSS feed it can deplete needed resources for interactive browsing. This is generally a small matter of resetting some parameters.

mochinist
03-11-2009, 02:31 PM
You need to consider that PracticalMachinist is many times larger (number of members, threads, and posts) than Home Shop Machinist forum.

I did have some sporadic connection issues yesterday, but I posted a thread in the VFD forum and have gotten a bunch of responses, so PM's obviously working for some...Pffft I've been on lots of forums over the years, some small and some much larger than PM and PM consistently has been one of the worst ones as far as performance goes. The sites that usually perform the worst are the ones that fail to update their bulletin board software, I don't know what PM's malfunction is and maybe its not Dons fault.

dp
03-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Pffft I've been on lots of forums over the years, some small and some much larger than PM and PM consistently has been one of the worst ones as far as performance goes. The sites that usually perform the worst are the ones that fail to update their bulletin board software, I don't know what PM's malfunction is and maybe its not Dons fault.

He's gotten behind on versions of the BBS and the adpeeps code. The adpeeps code is responsible for the logoff errors as it was setting cookies without limit, and browsers allow only so many from a single domain (20 for IE, 50 for FF). The site needs about 8 cookies for it's own purposes and they were being pushed off FIFO by adpeeps. One of them is the login session cookie. The new adpeeps software uses sessions rather than cookies, and there's no limit to them.

He's dependant upon remote hands to manage the hardware and software which is pretty typical. Doing this stuff right is a lot of work and not something the guy on the street can get down.

Carld
03-11-2009, 03:47 PM
It's up for me now and Don said he has had some problems and is trying to fix it.

Milacron of PM
03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
He's gotten behind on versions of the BBS and the adpeeps code.

I suspect any new "versions" were only created because of my complaints ! (and later, yours) Regardless, as of about 17:00 EDST the new Adpeeps PHP code is finally in place, so we'll see....

oldtiffie
03-11-2009, 08:16 PM
PM seems OK from here in OZ. I just logged on OK at 1.14am (PM "clock" = 11.06 pm GMT here on the HSM "clock" at the bottom of the BBS opening pages ).

I have had no problem accessing PM over the last week - or at all generally.

I did have an issue with not being able to log onto this site first on an intermittent basis and later totally over the last week. Messages to George B (no problems with the HSM BBS) and my ISP (in OZ) - all of which seems to be sorted now (by my ISP?) and is quite a bit faster. So I will hope for the best and leave well enough alone.

dp
03-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I suspect any new "versions" were only created because of my complaints ! (and later, yours) Regardless, as of about 17:00 EDST the new Adpeeps PHP code is finally in place, so we'll see....

Hehe - I cussed 'em pretty well, too.

J Tiers
03-11-2009, 11:23 PM
I have seen exactly zero problems with it.

Once or twice I tried to view when there was maintenance, but after that it always has worked

Not saying you don't get errors, just saying I have not seen them at all. Maybe it depends on where you are for some reason.

Was just over there, no problem, as usual.

I am always puzzled by the compaints about how poor PM is. For me, it generally has been up more than THIS forum..... it has been common for this one to be hosed repeatedly. For a while, it was down a lot. Not so much over the last few months, maybe once or twice.