PDA

View Full Version : Enco 13x40...update

hawgwrench
03-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks again to all who offered up info on this subject couple weeks ago.Based on the feedback I got,I made the purchase (13x40 gap bed). Last weekend I finally got the thing unloaded (sucks not having a lift),set up and under power.After a few days of de-lousing,freeing up a stuck compound slide (gib was wayyyy to long,and think they just tapped in with hammer,at least nothing was broken from it) and cleaning out about a pound of rat turds,I finally got to run a bit and make few test cuts.I'm surprised and the results......smooth for a machine that light,and takes pretty heavy cuts too....I'll update as I get more time to try out....tip of the hat to all that helped out with opinions....now,time to start tearing into that dreaded Clausing.

radkins
03-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I made the purchase (13x40 gap bed). After a few days of de-lousing,freeing up a stuck compound slide (gib was wayyyy to long,and think they just tapped in with hammer,at least nothing was broken from it) and cleaning out about a pound of rat turds,I finally got to run a bit and make few test cuts.

As a point of interest to someone who may be deciding between different suppliers of the import machines I would like to mention that my experience with the Harbor Freight 14x40 lathe was somewhat different. I have been making chips for about 3 months now and the machine has been completely trouble free. :) The only problem was when I picked it up at the store the idiots, and I DO mean idiots, that worked there could not get it loaded on my trailer and I had to do it myself but that is another story. The thing was crated very well with the crate being sealed inside with plastic and the machine it's self being contained inside a heavy plastic cover inside the crate. It was very clean and totally rust free, having a rather heavy coat of cosmoline (SP?) covering all the machined surfaces, there was no rodent droppings or any other debris in the crate. The only prep I did was level it, clean the cosmoline and change oil in the gear boxes (there were some metal shavings from the machining in there). This thing ran just fine "out of the box" and has been doing so since the first day. So far I have been very happy with this thing although at first I was more than a little apprehensive about buying a machine like this from HF but the worry has turned out to be totally unfounded and, in this case at least, HF was a real bargain!

Doozer
03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I am watching with interest, as this lathe sounds like a good deal. Rat turds?!? Yuck! At least it was not cockroaches! I have a 1340AcraTurn from Taiwan (I believe) and it is very nice. Keep us posted.
--Doozer

Bill Pace
03-12-2009, 01:12 PM
As I recall, Hawg was getting the lathe used, and having rat crap in/on it sounds like thats the case.

Is that the case Hawg -- used?

hawgwrench
03-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Sorry for any confusion...I bought this lathe locally ...USED...doesnt appear to have had heavy use,just wasnt maintained very well...but,other than the compound that still isnt just right (tight spot in it,but working)...came with the wedge QC toolpost and a DRO with one axis (makes me wonder exactly what they were cutting) got a good supplier for the scale and cable for the other...only other real annoyance is whatever the used as lube took the printed scale lettering off of the compound swivel....can live with that for now..think it fits the bill while I work on the other lathe....was worth the $1,000 I think...

radkins
03-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Sorry for any confusion...I bought this lathe locally ...USED....

Well I guess that explains it, I could not help but wonder about something from Enco arriving in such a condition. I have never bought anything that big from them but everything I did buy was well packaged, clean and undamaged.