PDA

View Full Version : Selling used tools

Benjamin Borowsky
03-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't know if it's appropriate to sell here, so I'm not... I'm asking for advice as to WHERE to sell items. I have some very lightly used metalworking CNC equipment that I no longer need. I looked on ebay, and the market doesn't appear to really be there. Any thoughts? Any other appropriate sites? Thanks so much in advance,

Ben Borowsky

dhammer
03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
[highlight]I don't know if it's appropriate to sell here, so I'm not... I'm asking for advice as to WHERE to sell items. I have some very lightly used metalworking CNC equipment that I no longer need. I looked on ebay, and the market doesn't appear to really be there. Any thoughts? Any other appropriate sites? Thanks so much in advance,
[highlight]

It is not appropriate to sell items on this forum. There is a for sale forum on the PM website.

Benjamin Borowsky
03-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Forgive my ignorance - where is the PM board located? Thanks so much,

Ben

PackardV8
03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/index.php

There is a Machinery For Sale and Tooling For Sale section. However, the PM moderator gets a bit sticky about using it only for selling items. Suggest making a couple of General postings to establish your bona fide.

Also, http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewforum.php?f=18 has a Buy, Sell, Trade section.

craigslist is also free and sometimes does the job without worrying about shipping.

thnx, jack vines

Herm Williams
03-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Don't be suprised if you get only 10 cents on the dollar. I recently purchased 10 pounds of HSS end mills at $4 a pound 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 most were not used since sharpened.
re

Benjamin Borowsky
03-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the advise, guys. I have a real emotional problem selling $2K+ of equipment for $200, even if I'm not going to use it. I'm going to have to think long and hard about getting rid of it. I just can't get over the hump.

Anyway, thanks so much for the advice, I appreciate it.

Ben

lazlo
03-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the advise, guys. I have a real emotional problem selling $2K+ of equipment for $200, even if I'm not going to use it.

Ben, I would post it over on PM at a price that you think is fair. Machinery sells for a different amount on the dollar than consumables. Believe me, you'll find out pretty quickly if your price is too high :)

As a point of PM etiquette, it's considered bad form for your first/only post on PM to be a for-sale post, so you might want to participate in the General New forum for a couple of threads first. At least introduce yourself...

MickeyD
03-12-2009, 03:00 PM
The first thing that you should do is put your location in your profile. If I saw that you lived in Ohio where everyone and their dog is dumping everything you would get one suggestion and how it might turn out, but if you were in a more prosperous but machinery starved area you would get another suggestion. From what I have seen in the last couple of months there is a lot of nice equipment on the market in most areas - home shop sized equipment is still moving OK, but bigger and more specialized machinery is not doing much. As always, your local Craigslist is a great place to buy and sell machinery. To give an example, our local newspaper has six listings in machinery and equipment (only three are really tools), and Craigslist has about 75 posted today alone.

websterz
03-12-2009, 07:51 PM
+1 on Craigslist!!

I bought my Model 25 Gallmeyer & Livingston surface grinder off of there for $375.00 DELIVERED. ;)