PDA

View Full Version : OT: Why do I need a telephone??

Hollowbuilt
03-12-2009, 10:34 PM
This may have all ready been brought up, but I am just too tired of answering the phone at the shop, and at home, just to find some kid in a fuzzy cubicle trying to sell me something, get me new financing, consolodate my loans, add nauseum. I want a phone so people can call me that want my products, or friends can call me. I don't get very many of those. So I end up paying about 600-800 dollars a year to get harrassed at the shop and at home. I want to answer the phone because I think it might be an important call. But 9 times out of ten, it's not. I'm paying ATT 800 bucks a year to get harrassed! Why have a land line phone any more? It's not my fault that the kids these days got through school and ended up knowing nothing, and have to work for minumum wage in a boiler room.

x39
03-12-2009, 10:44 PM
There's always caller ID or an answering machine. You're under no obligation to answer the phone if you don't know who is calling or don't want to talk to them if you do know. Along the lines of where you were headed with your thread, some good friends of mine recently got rid of their land line. It really didn't serve much purpose in their lives anymore.

Carld
03-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Some one man shops I know use an answering machine to take calls. When they get time they check the calls and delete the trash. I use a cell phone and don't have a land line. I give cards to customers and they call me and if I am running a machine I don't answer, I call them back. I don't feel obligated to answer the call if I am driving or working. I do return customer calls in a timely manner.

Brett
03-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Do what I did was!!! change your number, Got a cell phone and only use that and got free nation wide for $38 or $456 a year and I can call all over for that. Me it is a cell phone and high seed internet what else do you need. Brett

bob ward
03-12-2009, 11:14 PM
I think if you are running a business its important to have a land line, it gives the impression of permanence. Think of a business that only gives out a PO Box as its address, or only has a hotmail email.

On the personal phone side of things I do know more and more people who are ditching their landlines and using mobile only. The phone companies keep shooting themselves in the foot on this one. As more people ditch their land lines, the phone companies keep jacking up the line rent on the ones that are left.

If you use an answering machine, your customers should be sympathetic to a message along the lines of "Hi, I'm busy on the lathe right now.....".
Just don't include include the phrase "your call is important to us".;)

tattoomike68
03-12-2009, 11:18 PM
turn into a comedian troll, ask the lady calling to come over and service you up.

Have fun with it, I just got a call a minute ago and that gal ws getting off on it, :D

It was great next time I will get my USB mic plugged in and web cam it, that last one was great. LOL I told her to come on over and party.

tattoomike68
03-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Not safe for work, I talk like a dunken sailor 90% of the time.

All phone solicitors are screwed from now on.

http://www.youtube.com/v/xVYxLyddV6c

jwfilion
03-13-2009, 03:04 PM
In Canada, we have a "Do Not Call List". You go to a government website and add your name and phone number to the list. The government sends all the telemarketers a cease and desist order. If, after about a month's transition period, you still get their calls, the "feds" can close them down. There are exemptions of course, political party surveys, non-profit charities, etc. Six months now and only got one. Starting to feel lonely!

derekm
03-13-2009, 03:14 PM
In Canada, we have a "Do Not Call List". You go to a government website and add your name and phone number to the list. The government sends all the telemarketers a cease and desist order. If, after about a month's transition period, you still get their calls, the "feds" can close them down. There are exemptions of course, political party surveys, non-profit charities, etc. Six months now and only got one. Starting to feel lonely!
and in the UK.

Walter
03-13-2009, 04:50 PM
US also...

https://www.donotcall.gov/

works for me.

Alistair Hosie
03-13-2009, 05:28 PM
I had the exact same problem wenmt ex directory so my number is no longer in the book and problems all but disapeared.Alistair

chief
03-13-2009, 09:00 PM
I got rid of the phone and the TV years ago, life is much better. I have a cell phone for emergencies but I don't give out the number," I'll call you".
If some online mail order outfit wants a number I give them my disconnected old number.

airsmith282
03-13-2009, 09:23 PM

do not call list is no longer effective in canada and the cell phone companys have all recently sold our phone numbers and changing your land line now there is joke 99% of the time you get a number someone else once had and you get all there calls to ,, i get freaking lawers calling my house and my cell looking for people and it wast my cell time never mind my nevers are on edge to answer the house line as well,, privacy act is a joke as well its a myth , my numbers are not private nothing is anymore but thats the world we seem to have for some reason and its not likey going to change

CB radios are becoming a thing of the past but should be brought back to full use and do away with the phone system no telemarketer is going to reach you on a CB radio or a ham set thats for sure .. i still use my CB's and only talk to the truckers all other channels are quiet so i use them to talk to the wife when iam in the shop..
the net is just as bad you know all these viraga emails i dont need the stuff and never will way do i get mail about it i never listed my self but no hotmail and all the others make our info known to the planet its not randam same as the email from nigeria and uk lotterys i never entered dont bug me can you stop it from happeing hell no its unless ..you get off the net then you dont get email but then thats not fair i like surfing the net but then ok tell me to use my server email to late sold to the planet when you got on the net so not private there either ,,

ok iam done my rant on this but you gota admit it makes sence

gregl
03-13-2009, 11:07 PM
It's a long story but we had been taken to the limit with telemarketers. One firm in particular had taken it to the point of harassment. Since then I have learned a few things.

First, the do not call lists are only for unsolicited cold calls. Exempt from complying is any business you have a prior business relationship with. This is defined so loosely that any call you make to a business can be considered as a relationship. So that business can call you or have their marketing firm call you.

Second, you have to renew your listing on the do not call list periodically. You can do it on line. Just google "do not call list."

Third, blocking your caller ID is ineffective. Businesses with 800 numbers will see your number anyway. On home phones, if the number you are calling does not accept blocked numbers, you'll have to disable it to get through. We finally gave up on this feature.

Here's what we have done and it has been fairly effective:

1. We renew the do not call listing once a year. It does help.

2. We do not give out our phone number if possible. I frequently have used my work phone when I thought there might be some need for a call back. Now that I have retired, that option is closed. I often just decline to give out the number when asked, and I have never received flack for that.

3. Obviously, get caller ID. We do not answer any calls from 800 numbers or any other area code that starts with 8 and has two of the same digits after that (i.e. 855, 866, 877 and so on).

4. We do not answer any calls from out of our area numbers unless we know who is calling. We know the area codes of our friends and relatives.

5. We bought a new phone setup (Uniden) that contains a phone number list that we enter. We have entered all our friends and relatives. So when the phone rings, the display reveals who it is according to the name we have entered.

6. We also use the distinctive ring feature of the new phone. Mom and daughter each have their own ring as do a couple of other frequent callers. All the rest of our friends are on another distinctive ring. So it may ring that tone, but at least we know it's someone on the list. All strange calls ring the standard ring so we know before picking up the phone that it is not someone on our list.

7. If we do not pick up, the phone will let us listen on each handset to the incoming caller as he or she leaves the message. Thus I can be out in the shop away from the ans. mach. and still listen in and decide if I want to answer.

8. If it's a persistent, frequent, obvious business call, sometimes the only option is to pick up, listen to the pitch and then ask to be put on their DNC list. We have learned that in these cases, you have to listen to the pitch. If you interrupt, you will be cut off and won't get a chance to make your request.

Finally, we found several devices that can help. One is a gadget that intercepts incoming calls and routes them according to your programmed instructions. It will either: leave the call unanswered, route the call to your answering machine, or ring your phone. For the first two, your phone will not even ring. We tried one but my wife was afraid we'd miss a call she wanted to get and made me take it off. There's a link at the bottom but I note that it's listed as discontinued. There's another brand out there but I've lost the link. Some work with a search engine should turn it up.

Another device was called Private Time. It sent all calls to the answering machine without ringing the phone unless the caller entered a passcode. My family objected to having to enter a code after dialing our number so I had to take it off. It worked great though.

Here are a couple of links for some gadgets:

http://www.newworldtelnet.com/call_blocking_private_time_call_blocker_telephone. htm

http://www.privacycorps.com/products/

There is also an organization called mail preference service to which you can register to slow down the junk mail. Again, it needs to be renewed but it really does slow the junk mail.

As far as email goes, I set up my filters to auto reply to any message that did not contain a specific password in the subject line, instructing the sender to re-send and giving the password. (Sample filter: IF SUBJECT does not contain "password" reply "REPLY" then send to trash. The reply message says: "Sorry but due to spam I require a password in the subject line. Please resend your message with the word [pick your word] in the subject line." Then a second filter reads: IF SUBJECT contains "password" send to inbox.)

Spammers almost never look at replies to the original spam message and this cut my spam to almost nothing. I did get one or two in a year who re-sent their messages. Both were Nigerian bank scams.

loose nut
03-14-2009, 12:19 PM
This won't stop the calls but it is satisfying, just lay the phone down on the counter and walk away for a while.

If you don't hang up, the caller can't disconnect and dial another number which depending on how long you leave it his day is screwed up more than yours. The caller now has to jump through hoops with the phone company to get the line disconnected. I find that an hour is a good time limit.

It's a small thing but revenge is important.