PDA

View Full Version : Power feed on the quill...

bhjones
03-12-2009, 11:04 PM
is a pretty cool thing to have.

Some of you know but most don't, I've replaced my trusty Grizzly X3 with a Breaver VBRP turret mill. Besides the 2500ish pounds of extra cast iron, the mill has a power quill feed. It's the best thing since.. well since something really great.

I made half a dozen t-nuts for the mill today. Material removal rate was significantly higher than what I'm used to and drilling all the holes was a breeze.

tattoomike68
03-13-2009, 12:15 AM
is a pretty cool thing to have.

Some of you know but most don't, I've replaced my trusty Grizzly X3 with a Breaver VBRP turret mill. Besides the 2500ish pounds of extra cast iron, the mill has a power quill feed. It's the best thing since.. well since something really great.

I made half a dozen t-nuts for the mill today. Material removal rate was significantly higher than what I'm used to and drilling all the holes was a breeze.

Its the only way to go when running a boring head or bar, let it go and do other things at the same time.

kvom
03-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Its the only way to go when running a boring head or barYes, it's hard to get a good finish feeding manually.

uncle pete
03-13-2009, 11:58 AM
BHjones: I don't know anything about your mill but Brideports and their clones are not recommended to be used for power feeding drills over 1/4 in. or maybe 3/8ths.
From what I've been told the down force required with the larger drills is very hard on the power feed gears. As far as I know the power feed on the head is designed for boring where the loads on the gears are pretty light. But my info may be incorrect and someone with more experience will prove me wrong.

Pete

bhjones
03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm going to poke around a bit for a manual. If I can't find anything in the US for a reasonable amount of cash, I think Tony has some at lathes.co.uk.

Hopefully the manual be more than a parts breakdown, info like limits on the quill feed and what oils/grease to use in various places is what I want.

quasi
03-14-2009, 02:13 PM
get a powerfeed for your Z axis, it works very well for me.