PDA

View Full Version : Redhawk modification

Old Time
03-19-2009, 01:16 AM
I've got a Ruger Redhawk, I love it but, An acquaintance just got one that has the butt of the gri[p rounded. It was done by a custom shop, I called them and the only way they will do it is if you buy a whole gun from them for a very handsome price. My question is does anyone know of a shop that will modofy my old Redhawk?

JCHannum
03-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Hamilton Bowen will do custom work on your gun. He is among the best. You can contact him by phone or e-mail for work not included in his catalog.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/RugDAbasic.htm

I would think that just about any competent pistolsmith could handle a modification of that type. Where are you located, there is an excellent gunsmith here in Toledo who can do that.

Bob Ford
03-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Redhawk

Unless you have small hands, I would see if your buddy would let you fire about 50 rounds out of his Redhawk. This will let you find if the mod would work for you. If it does you can file or grind to shape. Any welding needed I suggest be done before the grinding. Make a new set of grips to suit. The biggest problem that I see is altering the serial number, which could get you into deep ****. I have small hands and found that the Pachmayr wrap around rubber grip works very good. Have only fired about 12,000 rounds with the grips in place though. I live about 200 miles north in the state of Jefferson. http://www.jeffersonstate.com/

Bob

biometrics
03-19-2009, 10:58 AM
As I recall, this type of modification requires pre-approval of the BATFE folks for relocation of the serial number. Better check with them by mail (better to have a response on paper, than the recollection of a phone call answer that the agent may very well forget took place) before attempting this...

andy_b
03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
so is the Redhawk serial # on the butt of the pistol grip? i wonder why Ruger did that. on the single actions it is on the frame below the cylinder. people (me included) are always swapping grip frames around on the single actions with no worries.

andy b.

Bob Ford
03-20-2009, 12:25 AM
The frame on a Redhawk is one piece, grip and the part the barrel screws into.

I was pointing out it is frowned on to alter a serial number. Also the Pachmayr grip helps greatly with control.

Maybe the person just wants a different look.

Bob

Old Time
03-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the replies, I have a freind that can Tig the frame, but it dawned on me that it would deface the serial number. The custom my buddy's got is more comfortable to me than mine to shoot recoil wise. Thats the main reason I wanted to find someone to do it that knew the legal in and out's, Thanks again.