PDA

View Full Version : Mag vise and parallels questions

DICKEYBIRD
03-21-2009, 09:48 AM
As I was making out my Christmas list (I've started believing in the ol' guy with the white beard again, about the only way I'll get any store-bought tooling until the economy drastically improves) I came across a pair of "Magnetic Chuck Parallels" for $19 at CDCO. Would I be correct in assuming they are for use along with a mag vise and as such just pass the magnetic field through from the vise to the work and have no electro-magnetic coils of their own?

2nd question: If I had a mag vise, (which I don't; hel-LO SANTA) would it be unreasonable to expect it to hold a steel washer well enough to skim off a few thou at a time with the vise mounted on my mill table and a sharp endmill? Yup, I've done the pot chuck routine before but that's a pain for one-offs.

Is there a Surface Grinder Bailout bill in process yet?:)

aboard_epsilon
03-21-2009, 09:54 AM
As I was making out my Christmas list (I've started believing in the ol' guy with the white beard again, about the only way I'll get any store-bought tooling until the economy drastically improves) I came across a pair of "Magnetic Chuck Parallels" for $19 at CDCO. Would I be correct in assuming they are for use along with a mag vise and as such just pass the magnetic field through from the vise to the work and have no electro-magnetic coils of their own?

yes

2nd question: If I had a mag vise, (which I don't; hel-LO SANTA) would it be unreasonable to expect it to hold a steel washer well enough to skim off a few thou at a time with the vise mounted on my mill table and a sharp endmill? Yup, I've done the pot chuck routine before but that's a pain for one-offs.

no.........you cant mill on them ..ummm, well i wouldnt

jimmstruk
03-21-2009, 10:14 AM
To reduce the thickness of a thin washer I hold the washer on a strong magnet, and use a belt grinder to remove metal. JIM

Circlip
03-21-2009, 10:33 AM
For holding washers on a mag chuck (for grinding) we used to get two pieces of sheet steel, thinner than the finished thickness of the washer, cut a couple of vee's in the sheet and slide them to either side of the washer so increasing the magnetic gripping area.

Regards Ian.

DICKEYBIRD
03-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Ahhh, both good ideas. Thanks gentlemen!:)

aboard_epsilon
03-21-2009, 11:42 AM
note that circlip said grinding

all the best.markj

Circlip
03-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Would think that it would grip enough for milling Mark providing its a few thou at a time with a SHARP cutter and not cleaving?

Regards Ian

DICKEYBIRD
03-21-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm feel sure with the additional security gained by using Ian's trick, I can safely slice off a few thou at a time without launching a lethal washer-missle.;)

Of course, the point is moot until I stumble across an affordable (make that almost free) mag vise.:(

DICKEYBIRD
03-21-2009, 04:45 PM
...and another thing for when I get this hypothetical mag vise; (they're the cheapest kind) when you turn it off does it lose all magnetism and the forest of little chips just brushes off?

TGTool
03-21-2009, 05:46 PM
...and another thing for when I get this hypothetical mag vise; (they're the cheapest kind) when you turn it off does it lose all magnetism and the forest of little chips just brushes off?

Yes. Permanent magnet chucks do a little better with it than electric ones in my experience. With electric ones there's sometimes a demag button to clear it better. In the off position it's pretty much just a dead lump.

websterz
03-21-2009, 05:52 PM

Is there a Surface Grinder Bailout bill in process yet?:)

Check out this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avUkGTNqUtk&eurl=http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=648.0

You can make out enough detail via the subtitles to duplicate this project. Do a search on that auction site for "hard drive magnet". I bought 86 neodymium magnets for $30.00 this way...enough to build a nice big table for my surface grinder and a couple more for my mill. We ARE machinists after all...build what you need if you can't buy what you want. ;)

DICKEYBIRD
03-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Great link websterz, thanks!

Circlip
03-22-2009, 07:10 AM
It slides the poles into a neutral? axis when turned off, BUT the chips have a residual magnetism and while you're looking for/making a Mag chuck, keep an eye out for a DE-MAGGER.

Regards Ian.