PDA

View Full Version : OT: MS Update won't work on old laptop.

DICKEYBIRD
03-22-2009, 12:48 PM
I inherited an older Dell laptop with XP that hasn't been used in a while. It only has SP1 and I'm trying to go to at least SP2 so I can get .NET Framework 3.5 installed and working.

When I go to the update site I get an error message that has to do with auto updates, user permissions, blah, blah, blah. Investigating the error code gets me a list of crap as long as your arm which makes me nauseous.

If I Google "XP SP2" I get several sites (non-MS sites) that offer free SP2 downloads but want to "scan" my PC to make sure all is well. I don't trust any sites that want to scan my PC.

Any suggestions?

gnm109
03-22-2009, 04:20 PM
If you have the OEM WINXP disc that came with the computer, you could do a repair job and it might clear the problem for you. I had the same problem on my Dell Desktop and recently had to reload it due to a virus.

When you do a repair from the OEM disc, you won't lose any data. You may have to reload programs like Media Player, Adobe Reader, etc but the rest of the data will be left alone.

Microsoft Update will have to scan your computer. They are checking for originality of your OS and also for the status of the programs. I wouldn't let a third party scan my comuter either.

Good luck.

DICKEYBIRD
03-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks, I'm about ready to take it outside and run over it 50 times with my van but it's not the laptop's fault...it's #%!#*$* Windows.

The update site keeps giving me a 0x800704DD error which is some malarkey about not being "able to impersonate the logged-on user." Now I've somehow erased my original logon and basically ruined my life.;) I went through the whole "Is this a legal MS software product" routine and finally made it through that gauntlet alive but that didn't solve the problem.

I was given the laptop only and don't have the Dell XP CD but will try to retrieve it tomorrow.

Bruce Griffing
03-22-2009, 05:28 PM
One odd thing about MS update - it will not work if your system has the wrong date. Check the date and time.

slugger
03-22-2009, 05:35 PM
You have to install the updates in order most of the time. If you are 2 or 3 compliances out, you might go back and try the previous upgrade. I found this with my wife's computer when I went to install some anti-virus software- it required service pack 3. I couldn't install 3 until I had installed 1 and 2. I spent 3 hours on the phone with some guy in India! I finally got it to work!

NickH
03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
You need to download & apply SP3, Microsoft Update no longer supports XP machines at SP1,
Regards,
Nick

Liger Zero
03-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Send me the laptop, $25 and a live full-sized Hickory Horned Devil caterpillar (in separate mailing tube!) and I'll fix it for you.

Evan
03-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Now I've somehow erased my original logon and basically ruined my life

Try starting in safe mode with networking by pressing the F8 key as soon as it boots. When prompted logon as administrator with no password. Then recreate your user account with admin privleges and reboot. It sounds like you are trying to update from a guest account. That isn't permitted.

DICKEYBIRD
03-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks Evan, sounds like good advice as usual.:) I'll give that a try when I get home tonight.

If that doesn't get it, I have now found the the XP Pro install disc that came with it here at work and it'll get an enema and a new outlook on life.;)

Probably needs it anyway as it was part of an auto diagnostic system and has numerous XP tweaks to speed it up and make it hard for prying fingers to change things.

Allan Waterfall
03-23-2009, 04:00 PM
I just had to buy a new PC and I installed my original XP disk.I took it to my local computer shop where I bought it and he had Service pack 2 on a CD and put that in for me.

Might be worth asking your local PC shop if the have a copy.

Allan

Evan
03-23-2009, 06:10 PM
XP Pro at work? That changes everything. It's probably been set up to run under a domain controller with policies that restrict the user. You won't be able to change that so format and reinstall. Make sure you have the Corporate Product Key from work to install with.