PDA

View Full Version : Possible Logan find

garagemark
03-23-2009, 08:14 AM
OK all you long distance machining mentors, Here we go again.

I was talking to a friend about toys the other night and fleetingly mentioned that I was semi looking for a lathe (due to your guys telling me to have patience). Some girl I'd never met before overheard us and jumped in to inform me that her dad had some kind of lathe and was probably going to sell it. She knew nothing about it but gave me his number. Called him the next day and indeed it is a metal lathe. It is a Logan brand, and here's wher eit gets cloudy. He bought this lathe a couple years ago. Didn’t have it but a few months before he woke up one morning completely blind. His tools have been sitting idle for a couple years now and he’s decided to sell them. The guy is 80 years old and of failing memory.

My inquiry centers around this: Is there anything special I should look out for with the Logan brand per se, or is there any specific model that had inherent issues? The guy couldn’t tell me anything about the machine. He “thought” it was 11” (was there such a swing?), but didn’t know the length (says the whole thing is about 6ft long). I have no model number either. He says it’s old, but doesn’t know the age. I have no voltages or horsepower. He doesn’t remember if there are steady rests, follow rests, faceplates, or any other tooling. He cannot remember if it is a quick change gearbox or not. However, he said that he doesn’t remember any little gears with it, so it MAY be a quick change (did Logan’s ever have this feature?). He also remembers changing a broken gear or two- though I don’t know which gears he’s talking about, and he couldn’t remember. He does say that it ran fine when he finished doing whatever he did to it.

Are parts available?

He was a real nice old guy, and I have no choice but to go look at the machine. He said he’s like to get $550 out of it. Sounds very reasonable if it isn’t already COMPLETELY clapped out, or is it? It is not advertised, so I’ll go over Tuesday evening.

This could be the one!…. maybe... possibly... hopefully.

Thanks once again,

J Tiers
03-23-2009, 08:43 AM
If you can get a decent Logan 11" for $550, you are almost stealing it if it comes with any accessories.

MOST 11" are QC. SOME 11" may have a more "modern" taper spindle, hardened bed, etc. A QC 11" probably has the "automatic apron" with feed from a "feather key" off the leadscrew (not half-nuts as per Atlas etc)

The 11" takes a 5C collet (with adapter) and is a very nice machine.

Logan is still in business, they sell parts and accessories, and Logan parts trade freely on the e-cheat site as well as elsewhere.

Duffy
03-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Logan made a good lathe. They still support the brand; go to their web site. Yes there is an 11' model, and yes they made a quick change gearbox. they had a full line of optional add-ons including collet closers, steady and follower rests. I bought a 10" model 820 that had had continuous commercial use from 1946 til 2004. It was WELL used, but i replaced all the bushings and feed nuts and it runs just fine. Tere is some bed wear as hardened beds were an option. But what the heck-59 years is a long time in a shop! Also I paid A LOT more than US $550.00 for it.

Carld
03-23-2009, 08:46 AM
I can understand your enthusiasm and that's good. The Logans are good lathes but you will have to look at it to see if it will do for you.

I think you can look at all or most the models on the internet if you google for Logan lathes and there are Logan forums. There may be a Logan catalog on line somewhere.

As long as the ways are not beat up, worn or badly rusted it should be ok.

Seastar
03-23-2009, 08:51 AM
My Logan 200 (smaller than the one you mentioned) has cost me much more than $550 to get into good shape.
I would run not walk to buy an 11" for $550.
Go for it or tell me where it is so I can buy it. LOL!
Bill

JCHannum
03-23-2009, 08:54 AM
The 11" Logan is a very good machine. It most likely will have a QC gearbox, and at minimum a 2-1/4-8 mount. It is comparable to the South Bend Heavy Ten in capacity, and 1" larger in swing.

Logan is still in business and some factory support is available. The lathes are fairly common, and used parts are also available. At $550, even with minimal equipment, that is a good buy if in decent condition. I seem to recall, flame hardened beds were an option.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/logan/page8.html

It is unfortunate the gentleman cannot remember the details. Sometimes, when a machine turns up, the information is sketchy, and the only solution is to visit for an inspection. Good luck.

garagemark
03-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the insight guys, and Jim, thanks for finding a writeup of the machine. I'll hold my breath until tomorrow night. Now I hope it really IS an 11" since I know that it was actually produced. Maybe the old guy is right about the size.

I also read some other threads on another site about the machine. So what could be considered TOO bad to work with or repair? While reading some other things, some guys can do good work with a "worn" tool, but some guys cannot. I know if big chunks are out of the ways, it might be suspect. I also know that if the gearboxes are full of metal shavings or so loud I can't hear over it, it might be suspect. But after looking around a bit this morning, it looks like most everything is available for the machine, and at a "reasonable" cost. So what would you consider the walkaway breakpoint to be? Actually this is kind of a rhetorical question since I pretty much answered myself in the previous sentences.

From all your responses, I’m getting a bit more excited now; not to the point of getting dizzy, but this may actually work out. Then the real questions begin…..

THX,
Mark

Seastar
03-23-2009, 10:13 AM
I had a tooth missing on the back gear of the Logan 200 I purchased that cost me $90 to replace from the factory.
My bed was so worn that I replaced it with an almost new one I bought on ebay for $120.
Mine was missing the change gears but I found a set in good shape for $85.
The 11" should have a QC gearbox.

The point is to give you some idea of how available the parts are and what they might cost you if you need them.
Generally I have been able to find anything I needed, used, at reasonable prices.
The factory prices are high but at least they still support the lathes.
Bill

garyphansen
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
go with cash in hand! Gary P. Hansen

Andrew_D
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
There's a more important question that needs to be dealt with...

You found a girl who's father is obviously into tools and repairs and such. This would seem to imply that she's used to seeing guys covered in grease, oil, chips, etc., and yet no mention of getting HER number??????? :eek:

I mean, I understand the excitement of finding a $550 Logan, but I'm afraid you still deserve a slap...

Andrew

tony ennis
03-23-2009, 08:02 PM
If it runs at all for $550 you are going well.

Doc Nickel
03-23-2009, 08:11 PM
I've had two Logans, a 40's vintage 10x36" and a 50's vintage 11x32". The 10" was a change-gear model with an external motor and countershaft, and 1-1/2"-8 spindle. It worked great, but was just too underpowered for me, and the chage gears were a hassle.

I sold it and put the money towards a 10" Sheldon, but I kept the 11" Logan, which was an underdrive cabinet model, with a QC gearbox and 2-1/4"-8 spindle, which let me use 5C collets.

Its very handy, and I've used the heck out of it for many years now.

As far as I know, Logan never made a "bad" lathe. Early models might not have had the features the later ones did, but they were all well made and built with quality materials.

That said, of course it'll depend on the condition of this particular machine. It could well be clapped out, but chances are it'll have slight wear and probably won't need more than minor repairs.

But yes, check for accessories. They might not be stored with the machine, but it's worth asking or looking around. Taper attachment, collet drawbar, steady or follow rest, tailstock chuck or live center, toolposts, extra gears, etc.

Doc.

chriskat
03-23-2009, 08:54 PM
I have an 11" Logan, bought it off ebay about 2-3 years ago. Had to drive to Akron (from Salisbury MD, about 9 hours) to get it. Paid a lot more than $550 for it. If it's in decent shape should be a good deal.

I'm no expert but it works good for my level of expertise.

Good luck.

By the way mine came with a static phase converter that I don't need I think it's for a 3/4 horse motor, if you need it let me know.

Jeff

oil mac
03-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Andrew D- Sounds to me we should go round there and give Garagemark some advice, sounds to me he has stumbled on a dropped down bit of heaven And he is slow on the uptake I never, in my life, managed to chat up a chick who would discuss lathes without going all cold & fridgid O.K. Maybe she may not be pretty? But he is getting a lathe in to the bargain !:D

garagemark
03-24-2009, 06:59 AM
Guys! Guys! Guys! You underestimate my prowess! Though this ďchicĒ turned me on to her daddyís possible tool farm, I already have all the girly girl I need. My wife welds mild steel like a pro, works on old car restoration, loves to trout fish, mows our three acre yard (including weed eating), cooks, camps out with me, and can solder LEDs to resistors faster than any of us. Oh, and sheís a sex machine to boot. So why in hell would I want to take on an [another] unknown?

Itís MY wife thatís pushing me to find a lathe. I kinda slacked off for a while out of frustration. But she wants to learn to use it, along with the new mill. I dunno what the heck sheís gonna make, but who cares? Itís great to be me.

Now, if, after I secure this machine, anyone ELSE wants this other chickís name, I shall oblige. But I sure donít need her. Gawd, I canít keep up with the one Iíve got!

I will however look at whatever else this girlís dad has in the garage. I may find all kinds of cool stuff for cheap. I hate that he went blind suddenly, but that is honestly the perfect scenario for finding gold these days.

I should know more about this metal spinner tomorrow. Stand by.

Oh, did I say itís great to be me?

tmarks11
03-24-2009, 10:25 AM
where in WV? I will drive over there and check it out and tell you what I think....:D

And of course, the thought immediately comes to my mind... what else does he have that he wants to sell? If you don't need it, you would probably be doing a big favor for this gentleman (and us) by letting us know what else is left.

my wife doesn't weld, doesn't mow our 1 acre, and she doesn't want me to buy her a lathe, so maybe you could give me the number... I think I am getting cheated here.

oil mac
03-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Gee -whiz garagemark, I have never before came across a metal worker without a lathe who admitted even without a lathe, "He really has it made"
You have us all beaten, :D An old family relation of mine, who emigrated from Scotland to the United States, (He died about 20 years ago) Told me many years ago,he had a Logan lathe I remember him saying it was a quality little machine, and he had many hours enjoyment using it. Incidently the old guy was a toolmaker in Fords at Dearborn in his younger days, then somewhere else in Chicago
Hope you are lucky in getting your lathe

garagemark
03-25-2009, 09:49 AM
The wind is out of my sails guys. Seems that the old man unknowingly got shafted when he bought the machine.

Though I couldn't find the model number under years of re-painting, from the spec sheets, I think it is a very old model 910. Itís on steel legs with the motor underneath. No QC gearbox, and the guy that he got it from gave him no change gears either (damn). The carriage appears to be OK, though it gets a little tight at the tailstock end of travel. The power crossfeed works OK and the leadscrew also shows little wear (relatively speaking). There is some backlash, but that might be normal. The tailstock ram is a bit loose, would probably need re-bushed. It has the simple single tool rest. The thing makes no noise while running and I couldnít find any broken gears, sans the ones in a box he changed out with new. There are a few tiny dings in the ways just under the chuck, but no real chunks. All surfaces show some wear, none are baby ass smooth. There is a handle through the side cover to change spindle rotation, and another push-pull knob that engages a rather large gear, though I donít know what it does yet. The three jaw and four jaw chuck appear to be fine. And there is a faceplate and a couple of rough looking centers, one live, two dead.

One thing I donít really understand though is the drive pulley system. It is flat belt from the motor to the first set of pulleys in the back, and another flat belt from there to the spindle. But the pulley set in the back seems to ďfloatĒ. If you raise the cover to see the belt with the motor running, the rear pulley slacks and the spindle stops. The whole arrangement seems weird, though it also seems to work.

OK, bottom line:

I would need change gears from the git-go to even think about throwing chips. What the heck would that cost? Then I guess the skyís the limit (and checkbook). One question though- Is it possible to convert this thing to a QC box? Would it be cost prohibitive?

Iím sure it could be serviceable. Itís not what I had hoped, but from what Iíve described, do you think itís probably history? $550 wasted?

rockrat
03-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Guys! Guys! Guys! You underestimate my prowess! Though this “chic” turned me on to her daddy’s possible tool farm, I already have all the girly girl I need. My wife welds mild steel like a pro, works on old car restoration, loves to trout fish, mows our three acre yard (including weed eating), cooks, camps out with me, and can solder LEDs to resistors faster than any of us. Oh, and she’s a sex machine to boot. So why in hell would I want to take on an [another] unknown?

Well, if life is giving you such large lemons, make lemonade. ie - Mťnage ŗ trois :)

Just kidding, sorta.

Anyhow, yes indeed you do have a keeper there. I wondered if I would ever regret teaching the wife to use my cutting torch, welding or shooting a pistol. The only thing that I worry about is her ability to outshoot me at the target range at 25 yards. Which she can do on a regular basis when we practice.

As for the lathe, I have seen change gears out there. But man you gota look. Start with a little ebay work and see what turns up. There may be someone here that knows of a set. Might start a new thread with a direct title for change gears and see what happens.

Or, tell the gent what you have found and see if the price gets any better. You never know.

Good luck
rock~

JCHannum
03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Change gears are available, usually around $10.00 each for a ballpark figure. A lot can be done with just a couple of gears. The whole range will be needed for threading.

The slack belt when raising the, very heavy cast iron, belt cover is the way the drive is engaged. Think of it as a clutch. The push-pull knob on the front engages the back gear.

The price is not outrageous, but it will depend on your budget and needs. It does not sound like it is in too bad condition, but it is difficult to assess from a distance. It doesn't sound too bad for an entry level machine.

Just Bob Again
03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Iím sure it could be serviceable. Itís not what I had hoped, but from what Iíve described, do you think itís probably history? $550 wasted?

In these parts, a good Logan or SB 9 or 10 with chucks, QC gearing, decent useable condition runs probably $2K. More with collets and taper and full complement of accessories. Depends on availability where you are. I've bought worse for more $.

The push-pull-big-gear-thing is back gear. Slows the machine WAY down and gives you enough torque to do most anything. Small imports and many big cheaper imports do not have back gear. Give me a choice between an old Logan with back gear versus a new import with zero torque and I'll take the Logan. Accessories are available or buildable. QC box and change gears are probably available. QC would likely be around $400 if you can find one to fit. And a matching leadscrew.

atty
03-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Your 910 sounds very much like my 912 which has a QC box from a 920 bolted right on. I've seen those boxes running around for about $250+ for the box, and then of course toss in a lead screw, drive gear, etc. I'd say Bob is in the ballpark at around $400 for the whole package.

The gear cover/clutch mechanism can be a bit of a challenge as it tightens two belts at once, i.e. the motor drive belt and the spindle flat belt, so both kind of have to be within "range" of each other when you lower the cover. There is an adjustment screw at the back of the cover to adjust the amount of travel.

When I went from a 7 X 14 mini-lathe to my Logan, I thought I arrived at heaven. Once you learn the quirks of the old girl (the lathe, that is), you will come to appreciate the design and quality. It's not a South Bend, but the fact that this thing was born in 1955 and still going strong says a lot.

Forget about buyer's remorse. I think you did very well.