X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • japcas
    • Nov 2004

Laptop Display?

Hey guys. I have a Compaq Presario laptop that is about 2 to 3 years old running XP. I bought it mainly so I can check my email and surf the web when I travel out of town. I use my desktop at home 99.9% of the time. Anyway, I have tried two different cad programs on it and they work fine with one exception. When I draw a circle it looks elliptical. I've fiddled with the display settings but that doesn't help. Websites and photos look perfect but not circles drawn in the cad program. I could live with it but it looks screwy when you are cadding out a part. I'd just like to do some cad work while I'm away so I at least feel like I am getting in some shop time. Have any of you seen this or know of any solutions to fix it?
    Jonathan P.
  • biometrics
    • Apr 2008

There should be a menu driven system built into your monitor that allows you to adjust the display width and height. Look for a menu buttion, or read the book that came with the monitor. No Book? Look up the model on the internet...

Display a 4 inch circle on the screen drawn in CAD and make adjustments until it is the same size measured with a machinist rule horizontally and vertically. Then push the save or exit button on the monitor to hold those adjustments.

Comment

• Peter.
      • Mar 2008

Sounds like you have to check that you are running the NATIVE resolution of your screen. as Biometrics says, first port of call is to check the machines BIOS setup for any screwy display settings. For many Compaq's, this will be by pressing F10 at boot-up, or possibly F2.
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

• studentjim
        • Mar 2004

Jonathan, have you drawn a circle with the cad program and then printed it? I had a program that did that very same thing, looked like an oval on the screen but printed fine

Comment

• loose nut
          • Sep 2006

Some cad programs have a setting in the controls that allow you to adjust the aspect ratio of what's displayed. Look in the tools menu.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• japcas
            • Nov 2004

There isn't a menu driven system that I can find on my laptop. I've seen them on external monitors though. I haven't printed anything off of the laptop but I'm sure it should print fine because I can dimension the circle drawn at different angles and it always outputs the right dimension. This tells me it's just a viewing problem. I may have too look into the options for the program itself and see if I can true it up like Loose Nut said.

I'm still open to more opinions and I'll let you know what I figure out. Thanks.
            Jonathan P.

Comment

• John Stevenson
              • Mar 2001

Mine also shows it as an ellipse but as they usually turn out elliptical off the lathe I don't worry

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• japcas
                • Nov 2004

I got it fixed. Loose Nut was right. There is an option under "Option" of all places called "Screen Size". I took a rough measurement of the screen and entered that in and now my circle looks perfect. I hadn't messed with that option on the desktop because it displays properly. Thanks a lot for all of the help guys.
                Jonathan P.

Comment

Working...
                X