• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • topgun
    • Apr 2006

new cross slidefor a old 12 x 36

• TGTool
    • Aug 2005

Very nice job. Looks good there. Is that one of Andy's castings?
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• topgun
      • Apr 2006

cross slide

No Bill. a friend came over and handed me a slab of cast and said to make something out of it, and thats what I got . It really makes the lathe act like a new one.
      Don

Comment

• lakeside53
        • Nov 2007

nice, very nice...

Comment

• tony ennis

What's the black knob?

Comment

• topgun
            • Apr 2006

black knob

Tony
            the knob is for the cross slide power, don't know if it's original, was there when I bought the lathe.
            Don

Comment

• tdkkart
              • Mar 2001

That appears to be a very late model Atlas, 1/2" thick ways, slightly different design tailstock and compound, "large" dials. The crossfeed lever was standard equipment. The late model was a bit more rigid than the 10F series models.

I did one of the T-slot crossslides from a casting a few years ago for my older 12" Atlas. The 12" models were identical to the 10" with an added inch on the components below the centerline of the spindle. As if the lathe wasn't flexible enough, the added inch made it worse, particularly in the crossslide and compound areas.
              When I did my crossslide paid particular attention to leaving it as thick as possible. Which ended up raising the compound approx. 3/4". I then got hold of a compound from a 10" lathe which was 1" lower, leaving a 1/4" difference which I made up for when I made the new mount to attach the compound to the cross slide.

In the end, the extra thickness in the cross slide made a fairly dramatic difference in the rigidity. I lost a slight amount of capacity over the carraige but it was worth it.

Comment

• SGW
                • Apr 2001

Do you think the extra thickness is responsible for the greater rigidity, or a longer dovetail? I made Andy Lofquist's T-slot cross slide for my 10K, and certainly noticed a marked increase in rigidity, but I attribute it to the fact that the dovetail is now approximately 2X as long as it was on the original stock cross slide. I'm sure the increased cross-section doesn't hurt, either, of course.
                ----------
                Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
                X