PDA

View Full Version : oiler for oil/grease nipples?

bhjones
03-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I just received a manual for my Beaver VBRP. It of course has a oil/grease schedule within. Most of the oil points are serviced by a zerk fitting, but the schedule calls for oil not grease in nearly all points.

Where do I find an oiler for these fittings?

Thanks.

BadDog
03-29-2009, 03:00 PM
This is what I use on my Bridgeport. Made it from one of those mini grease guns, leaks a bit but works well.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/oilgun/gunconvert.html

lazlo
03-29-2009, 04:09 PM
I've known several guys that have tried to make the Metalweb oiler, and they all leak :)

I bought the German pressurized oil gun from McMaster: 1879K48
It's $70 :(

Malc-Y
03-30-2009, 06:44 AM
To prevent leaks between the oil gun and the nipple, just put a piece of cloth between the two, this will allow the oil to pass through and form a seal to prevent leakage.

Malc. :cool:

Thomas Staubo
03-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I modified a grease gun, by simply welding the end of the tube shut. It was a mini-grease gun, about half the size of a normal one.

I use this on my Myford lathe, and have now also converted to real Zerk-nipples with 2BA threads (bought from Myford), instead of the original and special Tecalemit ones.
Oiling is very easy now :).

Lew Hartswick
03-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I just use a regular grease gun and hold it with the back end up. Put
the Zerks on aimed up, had to use a few 45 deg. ones on the
Bridgeport. Store the gun in a gallon can with the top cut out. Doesn't
even leak much when using it.
...lew...

ehughes
03-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Hello, Also have a Myford & converted a mini grease gun. Made the ba threaded zerks by using drive-in zerks. They are soft enough to thread - single pointed in lathe with a holder that holds the nipple end with set screws. Regards, Earl

wment
04-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I found a neat little grease gun that uses plastic tubes for the grease. I emptied the tube and put in Way Oil, it works great. Had oil in it for over a month and no leaks yet. Look for a Lubrimatic Jiffy Luber.
http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=499115
A local hardware store was going out of business so I bought several. If you cant find one locally let me know, I have extras.