PDA

View Full Version : What is it? Tool id

rockrat
03-29-2009, 07:47 PM
So I decided that I really need to clean the shop, or at the lease sort and file stuff away. I literally have a huge corner that is a pile of tossed outs and leftovers. Not to mention the "end of auction" winnings. These are the boxes of stuff that are the last to go at auction. Most everyone has left, there could be anything in them and the auctioneer is doing good to get past $1 for a box. And since he wants to go home, he is combining boxes for $1.

Anyhow, in my piles I have found this little gem.
Click for larger photo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/almost_junk/th_IMG_7444.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/almost_junk/IMG_7444.jpg)

Looks as though it is an arbor for something. The washer and the spacer in the middle are free to move but will not exit past the tapered part on the right. Both threads are right handed. The large nut has a more coarse thread to its far right id and the mating thread on the left id. And there is a slot cut down the smaller od of the thread. Flats on the end for a wrench.

Ever seen one before? If you can use it I'll mail it to you, but you got to tell me what it is.

rock~

tattoomike68
03-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Some sort of collet stop type item. Oh I dont want it.

doctor demo
03-29-2009, 08:32 PM
It looks like some sort of swaging tool , are the threads near the taper pipe or jic by chance?
I don't want it either, I hope We are not hurting Your feelings:D .

Steve

rockrat
03-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Gawd, cant give stuff away around here. :D I'm not crying, it'll just go back to the new pile that I'm working on and get lost again. You know how it is.

Na, the threads standard but the right thread on the big nut is left handed. Probably to pull this thing onto a mating taper. Might be a grinding wheel extension for a tool grinder of some sort.

rock~

john hobdeclipe
03-29-2009, 08:42 PM
My guess is an interchangeable arbor for a woodworking shaper. The tapered end would fit a matching taper on the machine spindle. The differential threads on the nut will draw the arbor into place. Turning the nut the other way will force the taper to release. The keyed washer in the slotted arbor allows it to be run in either direction.

I've no idea who the manufacturer is.

Edit to add:

Can you provide some dimensions and thread pitch info? Conceivably it could be intended to fit a router motor and allow it to run small shaper cutters.

Tim Clarke
03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Yup, I'm with John on this. Looks just like the one on my Rockwell wood shaper, except mine's a R-8 taper with a drawbolt. Especially if it's 1/2 or 3/4

TC

doctor demo
03-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Yup, I'm with John on this. Looks just like the one on my Rockwell wood shaper, except mine's a R-8 taper with a drawbolt. Especially if it's 1/2 or 3/4

TC
Now that You mention it , I think You guys are right on the money. I am changing My guess .

Steve

rockrat
03-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Ok, the shaft is as follows. From the right, 20 taper over 0.9" length. Starts at about 0.29" ends at 0.587".
3/4-20 threads for 0.35"
Necks down to 1/2-20 threads for 2.0"
No threads last .38" instead, 0.43 diameter with .37 distance between flats.
Slot is 0.13 wide from end to shoulder.

Nut has 3/4-20 threads in 1/2 of id and what looks like 3/4-10 for the other side. 0.875 long.

I was correct the first time through, all threads are right hand. Sorry for the misleading evidence.
rock~

Cheeseking
03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm probably way off base but that tapered end it almost looks like an electrode off a production spot welder. The welding electrodes are usually beryllium copper or "Elkonite" which is more gold colored. Can't tell from the photo what material it is.

I usually stuff things like that down in the way bottom of one of the maintenance guys tool bag. (he lugs it around the shop all day) Eventually he discovers the "dunnage" I've planted and usually gets me back by scotch taping the mouthpiece on my phone or some other manner of pimping :D

john hobdeclipe
03-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the measurements. I'll do some measuring here tomorrow morning, and see if it fits what I think it may fit.

macona
03-30-2009, 02:46 AM
Its a shaper spindle. Go over to owwm.org and ask there. Someone ought to know what it fits.

john hobdeclipe
03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, It won't fit anything I have here.

I'll second Macona"s suggestion...ask over at the owwm.org board.

Deja Vu
05-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Here's an identical one. It is used on a Craftsman Shaper/Router that I just got.
http://jmnotions.webs.com/General/PICT0812.JPG

http://jmnotions.webs.com/General/PICT0814.JPG

http://jmnotions.webs.com/General/PICT0815.JPG

This cost $30 at Yesterday's garage sale excursion. ...Not a great deal, but with a fence/table extension it will handle light duty.

I could probably use it(your tool)....always nice to have the ability to change cutters easier...when I get some. I'll pay costs.

rockrat
05-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Let me dig it back out. Its around here somewhere.

I'll pm you.
rock~

Deja Vu
05-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks! I'd better check if my PM feature is activated.

Incidently, when I saw the arbor sitting with this tool, It rang a bell that I'd seen this before....making my forum handle/name mean a little somethin'....