PDA

View Full Version : lathe lubricants

michaelj
02-01-2002, 01:34 PM
The manual for my new Jet lathe calls for #2 tube grease and 20W machine oil for lubrication. I am having a hard time finding this stuff locally. Is there something I can substitute, or can someone tell me where I can get the stuff? Thanks.

SGW
02-01-2002, 07:55 PM
MSC ( www.mscdirect.com (http://www.mscdirect.com) ) sells machine oil in various weights.

You should use real machine oil, at least for the precision bearings. Automobile engine oil is a BAD substitute, as engine oil is designed to hold water in suspension until it boils away from the heat. Precision bearings never get hot enough to evaporate the water, so machine oil is made to precipitate any water that gets into it, so the bearings don't rust.
Same for dirt; automobile engines have full-flow oil filters to take out the dirt held in suspension; bearings don't, so you want any dirt to precipitate out of the oil.

Thrud
02-01-2002, 10:47 PM
Michaelj:

The grease you are looking for is an NLGI #2 grease. I would get a a good synthetic like Amsoil's GRG racing grease (high speeds & high & low Temps) - it will give you superior lubrication over other "greases". As for thew machine oil, ask for an ISO68 weight oil (same as 20W) in either an R&O gear and Bearing lubricant (gearbox) or way lubricant.
It is very important NOT to use a regular gear oil in your gearbox unless you are absolutely certain no yellow metal (brass or bronze) parts are in the bearings or gearbox. The extreme pressure additives in regular gear oil will eat the yellow metal parts and crater the gearbox.

Amsoil and Mobil both have products for these applications - Amsoil's is far better (they actually stand behind their products and they only have full synthetics).

And no, I do not work for either or have stock in either company.

Dave

spope14
02-02-2002, 09:20 PM
I have been using Texaco products on my machines. Way lube 68 for the ways, and a spindle type for the spindles. You can call the local Texaco distributors with the specs you have on hand and they will cross match. Not the gas station, but look for the distributor in the area. I have had good luck with them, and have found that by working through a school ior area shop also getting the lubes from texaco, you might be able to get gallons or even work a deal from the shops themselves to get small amounts from their larger supplies for little or no cost.