PDA

View Full Version : action blueprints

ct5
03-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Does anyone still have a contact number for Bud Smith for action prints? The numbers given in a forum in 2002 gave his number but there is not any answer there anymore.

JCHannum
03-30-2009, 06:20 PM
The plans are available through the ASSRA for $10.00 a set. They are on 8-1/2" X 11" sheets, but can be enlarged at a copy store. Buffalo Arms sells the same drawings for $95-$140 a set.

Check the archives here, I think you have to phone or e-mail Rudy Prusok to order them.

http://www.assra.com/Archivelibrary.htm

38_Cal
03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
My understanding is that you need to double check dimensions given...they are not always correct or logical. But they are a starting point.

David
Montezuma, IA

JCHannum
03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
I believe the plans were drawn by CMM'ing actions. If anything, they are over dimensioned, and they do not always agree with each other. If you intend to build an action from the drawings, it would be a good idea to draw a simple sketch of the parts with only the critical dimensions to help reduce confusion.

I have built a High Wall action from Frontier Armory castings using the plans and it has worked out pretty well. I did use the drawings more as a guide than as an absolute reference as there was quite a bit of fitting required to get the print and castings to agree with each other.

ct5
03-30-2009, 08:56 PM
I am really looking for a 44 1/2 action prints. I did not see any of these on the web sites. Any help for me on that?

JCHannum
03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Those are the only drawings that Bud Smith did that I am aware of. I stand to be corrected, as I would like to get a set of 44-1/2 drawings myself.

There is a fellow on the home gunsmithing forum who is building a 44-1/2 from Frank de Haas drawings. He is making the action in two halves and welding them together. It is an interesting build.

You possibly could get enough information from the de Haas drawings to build an action.