PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

garagemark
04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Another day, another lathe. This guy has a South Bend 9 or 10" (he isn't sure yet) for sale. No QC box, but at least this one has some change gears (he's inventorying now). Quick change tool post, 3 and 4 jaw, a "bunch" of tooling, and two things that I don't know what they are, or maybe he calls them something I'm not familiar with. The first is a drill slide. What is a drill slide? The second is a spindle cradle. Is that another name for steady rest?

Machine is a 1930's vintage and he says the ways and all are in good shape. Thousand bucks. He's a long way from here just to go look. If a grand is too much right off the bat, it's off before it starts.

???

MickeyD
04-01-2009, 02:56 PM
That is a lot for one without a quickchange. If it was me I would keep looking.

radish1us
04-01-2009, 02:58 PM
If'n he's gunna pay you a grand to go get it, then it's worth it, maybe?
Got me beat why your even lookin' for a boat anchor !

garyphansen
04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a South Bend 9" Model C or a 9" JR. It sounds like it is on the pricey side but would be OK if in good shape and includes lots of goodies like it may. Gary P. Hansen

garyphansen
04-01-2009, 03:05 PM
"Got (to be) ? beat why your even lookin' for a boat anchor !"

Being old does not necessary mean it is beat. My LeBlond is a 100 years old and can still hold close tolerances. My South Bend was made in 1940 and is still in great shape. Gary P. Hansen

Bill Pace
04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
You would quickly find the lack of a gearbox was a real pain, besides the price isnt that great -- would have to have a LOT of extras.

garagemark
04-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Radish, maybe you haven't seen my other threads. I am new to this world. I ask for opinions because I would rather not make a big dollar mistake, or be frustrated with my equipment and tooling. I appreciate that you consider this machine to be a boat anchor. However, I donít understand why it beats you why I ask. If I don't throw these finds out there to someone, I will have only one opinion, and that is mine. That is not a good opinion on it's own due to my lack of knowledge of the subject. I do spend a considerable amount of time researching machines and their history, so I know a South Bend from a Monarch. But in my area, the used tool market is slim, and I do aspire to find a good serviceable machine in the near future. I do not mean to insult yours or anyone elseís intelligence, and I will continue to ask for this membershipís opinions on equipment as it becomes available, until I find just the right fit for my needs and wallet. If I become too much of a pest to any of you, please say so and Iíll discontinue these threads.

After reading all the responses, I will probably let this one go unless there is something very sweet (tooling) I donít know about yet or the price drops considerably. However, in keeping with the latter, I assume these machines COULD be fitted with a QC box and leadscrew. So maybe if the price (and condition) is right, I could make a swap later. We'll see.

Thanks to all.

hawgwrench
04-02-2009, 08:29 AM
My .02 would be to keep looking Mark,that lack of quick change will be a real PITA. I'd nix the idea of adding one later,its not a drop in installation forget trying to find the parts (or what they'll cost:rolleyes: ). Be patient,something that just fits the bill will come along. As far the price,for a stack it had better be just about flawless. The POS clausing 5914 I've got (and torn down to repair) was 600.00 few years ago.Granted it came in a "lot" with other macines and limited tooling,still,cheap enough. Or so I thought,its been a real pain,and parts are insane from clausing. Sorta wish I'd left it sitting,or just dumped it after I got what I need from the sale. Anyway, I made a mistake,and will end up with a top notch toolroom lathe,at some point anyway.But the total investment (purchase and parts,no way can count labor time) will be way over the line. Keep looking....if you find something in my area drop me a line,I can look it over if it helps ya out. Good luck...

BillH
04-02-2009, 10:32 AM
In CT, I paid 475$ for my Model C 9" south bend.
Even though CT is a plethora for used machine tools, 90% of the time I went to go look at a used machine tool, it was in deplorable condition. In hindsight some of them would of turned out to be nice machines with a lot of elbow grease.
I noticed local to Naples, FL, there was some one selling a a Model C with lots of tooling from the original owner supposedly. They wanted 1500$... Too much in my opinion. 1500$, spend a little more get a new 12" lathe.

Roy Andrews
04-02-2009, 03:22 PM
i have a gearbox housing and all of the parts to put it together. some need repaired/replaced. i used the best parts from two and made a few parts so that i could have a working box. if you get the lathe you can have all the parts and then you would have a good project. the holes should be in the bed for the gear box. don't know where you are at but i'm sure someone could provide pictures/ help if you choose to get the lathe. i also feel the price is a little high but again don't know the location or condition. if it had a lot of tooling and was in good shape i would go for it. when i got my 10K i thought i got a good deal until i got to tear it apart and discover everything that was broken on it. be careful when buying used parts o got two "good " gearbox's off e bay and both where garbage. in the end i have more time and money in that lathe than my clausing and it sits in a corner unused.

Jim Caudill
04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Dayton is not that far from you. I posted we had 5 lathes on Craigslist the other day. Did you check them out?

http://dayton.craigslist.org/tls/1087021307.html

$1,500 for a well tooled Southbend with taper attachment.

Or this 13" with collets and taper attachment for $1,650
http://dayton.craigslist.org/tls/1064108108.html

You just gotta look around

Peter.
04-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, if it's one thing I have learnt when buying stuff - patience pays off! Hold-out for that good deal because it'll appear sooner or later.