PDA

View Full Version : OT That wireless router issue.......

J Tiers
04-01-2009, 08:53 PM
The static IP address didn't do the trick. dropped connections again, but it took a few days to do it. The time to failure probably isn't significant, it worked well for a couple weeks to start with.

Upgraded the firmware with a new version that came out since I bought the thing 30 days ago... no difference.

3 calls to tech support, two of which produced the information that I knew more than they did, and the last of which was escalated to someone smarter, and produced a couple interesting concepts.....

1) The DHCP thing they don't consider to be an issue...... Their DSL modem setup procedure is the same as the standard setup via the CD ROM, and they don't see that as an issue.

2) They think the router itself is defective, which I see as possible, but maybe a bit less probable than a remaining conflict that isn't resolved. But in any case, they are shipping me a new one. Dunno what the plan is if (as I half suspect) the new one does similar things.

They may be right, it refused to answer when its own private address was called repeatedly, although if I went back to the modem, I never had any trouble.

tattoomike68
04-02-2009, 12:16 AM
You still messing with that?

man go to Kmart. take the old one and throw it in the trash. problem solved.

J Tiers
04-02-2009, 09:01 AM

WTF? :mad:

oldtiffie
04-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by tattoomike68

Originally Posted by J Tiers
WTF?

JT,

TM68's advice may be debate-able if you router is rooted.

But if/when your rooter is routed it is definitely a case of the trash-can for you and/or your router and your rooter as both are effectively rooted.

J Tiers
04-02-2009, 10:37 PM
JT,

TM68's advice may be debate-able if you router is rooted.

But if/when your rooter is routed it is definitely a case of the trash-can for you and/or your router and your rooter as both are effectively rooted.

Not if I can get the folks at the manufacturer to make it good... They gonna get router canal.

Must be nice for you rich folks who can pi$$ away money, you and tattoomike..... I wasn't raised like that.

heck I was just mentioning that the manufacturer was standing behind it.

Sorry if I offended your shell pink ears...... or whatfreakinever.

tattoomike68
04-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Not if I can get the folks at the manufacturer to make it good... They gonna get router canal.

Must be nice for you rich folks who can pi$$ away money, you and tattoomike..... I wasn't raised like that.

heck I was just mentioning that the manufacturer was standing behind it.

Sorry if I offended your shell pink ears...... or whatfreakinever.

I got a Belkin54g for $45 at K-mart and all I did is plug it in. BOOM im surfing no skill, no tweaking and not much money, the 5 computers are all surfing, the WIFI printer talks to all the boxes and the Xbox360 and nintendo WII are all rocking. I just uploaded 180 meg video to youtube in around 20 minutes. I cant gripe over that.

I would rather you blew $45 and were happy then fool with some faulty equipment. $45 is like nothing. thats not rich mans stuff.

I never did anything but plug mine in, you need to have luck like that and get er done.

J Tiers
04-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Oh, it did work fine for a week, then it messed up. But it looks like they will fix it up free, so no sweat......

Just diggin at the "throwaway society" aspect.... if someone sells me junk, they are at least going to get hassled, even if they won't do anything about it. I don't like to just toss it and forget about it. I come from feuding stock, we take care of our problems a bit differently to that.

In this case, aside from some dope-headed folks from miscellaneous foreign countries, they did finally decide to handle it. We'll see.

Seastar
04-03-2009, 09:12 AM
JT
Go get em!!
I approve of your Mid West stubborn attitude.
Make the Basthishs pay.
Bill

J Tiers
04-03-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm not so sure about that now........

1) its gonna cost considerable to ship it back

2) they'll bill me if their phone guy was wrong and nothing is messed up with it

3) They have a bunch of hoops to jump through to get an RMA, including a 24 hour window to fax them a copy of the receipt, which I have already gone past.

I'm still on the "stick it to 'em" path, but I am calculating the cost too.

BillH
04-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I never read the other thread and do not know what your problem is.
What I can say is that if you are suffering from drop outs, packet loss, and high latency, the culprit may be your modem and not the router.
We just had a spate of problems with the cable modem. Well it is not the modem, it is the cable going out to the street being very old and getting corroded. I temporarily fixed the problem by cutting out all the splitters to salvage what signal is left. Of course you are on DSL, so a slightly different beast.
As far as the throw out crowd argument, all I can say is that for many, time is money. If you run a business where you need an internet connection, SCREW IT! You'll save money by spending 45$ on a new router RIGHT NOW than to lose out on 400$ worth of sales as you are unable ship out orders since you can't get them.
Or maybe you are like me, and when the cable modem goes out, so does your connection to the outside world and you are left to either play in the shop or go to sleep.
That is how you know if you have no life...

J Tiers
04-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Actually, Bill, the problem was that the router would refuse to let data pass over wireless or wired connections until it was power-line reset.

I had to do the setup a whole bunch of times, and sometimes it would not even answer to its own IP address, a 192 range address. You have to access that address to set it up manually.

Not a business, I have access without it by direct connection, but the plan was to have wireless so I could sit out on the porch and enjoy the evening with internet access, instead of having to descend to the cave for it.