PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Mill

Teenage_Machinist
04-03-2009, 01:11 AM
I am possibly going to borrow a Rotex Vertical Mill. This is a round-ram milling machine something like 1/3 to 1/2 Bridgeport size. Lathes.Co.UK seems to have taken down the picture.

Does anybody have suggestions for moving it from a truck onto the workbench? There is simply not enough room for 4 or 5 brutes to lift it, and I do not know if it is safe to hoist by the ram (I have seen this done of dovetail ram bridgys) . Suggestions?

tattoomike68
04-03-2009, 01:17 AM
I am possibly going to borrow a Rotex Vertical Mill. This is a round-ram milling machine something like 1/3 to 1/2 Bridgeport size. Lathes.Co.UK seems to have taken down the picture.

Does anybody have suggestions for moving it from a truck onto the workbench? There is simply not enough room for 4 or 5 brutes to lift it, and I do not know if it is safe to hoist by the ram (I have seen this done of dovetail ram bridgys) . Suggestions?

Talk to a local person with a small tractor with a bucket, use some nylon straps on the machine , some chains and easy does it. Thats how I got my smithy home and im out of town so roading a forklift would have been a long winded chore. We plucked it from the bed of a pickup truck and it was home fast.

I also used a bench with big tough castere so it would roll once on pavement.

good luck. :)

Teenage_Machinist
04-03-2009, 01:19 AM
ummm...

That doesnt sound right. The ceiling is not that high...

Still could be good suggestion.

We are considering complex block and tackle, but it would need some way to swing.

dp
04-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Can you rent one of these? http://www.hyjacks.com/hb2.htm

I got my Grizzly 3-in-1 out of my truck and onto my bench single handed with one. I used heavy nylon strapping to lift it with.

oldtiffie
04-03-2009, 03:15 AM
TM,

a bit more lateral thinking needed here.

If you are restricted as regards over-head lifting space or maneuvering room think "under" instead of "over" as regards lifting.

Use one of these:
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Lift-Trolleys

This is mine:
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=J055

Works like a dream - none of the BS or PITA as regards "room" as with engine hoists or blocks and tackles - and don't even think about using a "come-along" as they are rated for "pulling" only and NOT for "lifting/holding/lowering" - they are dangerous if they slip.

That hoist of mine will easily lift 500Kg = 0.5tonne ~ 1,100 pound and as it has castors (2 lockable) it is easily movable and lockable. You can move the hoist table right up to your bench-top edge.

It should lift any round-column mill in one piece - if not, just remove the mill head and column and lift it in separate parts.

Just Bob Again
04-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Rental companies have a lot of interesting stuff. Engine hoists and hydraulic carts and chain hoists rent cheap if you don't want to buy. The important thing is do it right and safely. It may cost you some money but this isn't the place to scrimp. I've dropped equipment because I didn't have proper rigging. If you're using helpers, make sure ONE person is in charge.

JCHannum
04-03-2009, 07:35 AM
The Rotex is probably between the Benchmaster and the Rockwell mills in size and weight. Tony's site lists it's weight as 450 pounds for the horizontal version.

It can be dismantled into bite sized pieces with little difficulty. The vertical head can be easily removed by just sliding it off. The table and knee should not be too dificult to remove and separate the column from the base id it is mounted on the cabinet. Watch out for the knee screw, it may protrude below the base of the machine.

Using a sling around the ram to lift should not present a problem.

BTW, did you know that Rotex made a small hydraulic planer in the 50's? It is at the bottom of the page;

http://www.lathes.co.uk/rotex/

hawgwrench
04-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Think oldtiffie is right here.Something to slide the machine out of a truck onto,then move to bench...a sheet of 3/4 plywood and few 2x4's could make a serviceable bench. Then either use casters or just build it so you could roll it on few short pipes to where you need it. It's slow to do,but it works....had to move everything in my shop like that,and its pretty much a one man job then.

Charlie W.
04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
I have a Rotex mill. Moving it with a engine hoist is an easy way to go. Mine has the base cabinet but I have moved it many times by slinging it from the ram. A chain or rope looped around many times will work but ask the rental place if they have a strap. It will be so easy that it will seem effortless.

derekm
04-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Bricks, blocks and a prybar... and 2 steel 1"x1" tubes to slide it on the bench + time and patience...

Derek - Phone for a quote for your Stonehenge

Teenage_Machinist
04-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Engine hoist sounds good and was orginal plan...

If it's safe to lift by the ram, then that is the first choice.

Disassembly is also likely good, maybe get it down to 300 pounds?