PDA

View Full Version : Need a flexable glue

rws
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm looking for a glue that will adhere two pieces of metal, but remain flexible. The application will be one tube inside the other, each about an inch and a half long. A glue that is pourable or flowable while "fresh" is needed since the annular space isn't very much, 1/8".

Any suggestions?

Highpower
04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Depends on how "flexible" you need it to be I would think. But with an 1/8 inch gap that isn't very much movement. You might try some of the original "Gorilla Glue". Very tough adhesive that remains just a bit 'spongy' after curing.

http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues.aspx

Rustybolt
04-03-2009, 06:43 PM
"Devcon" makes a two part rubber-like compound in different stiffnesses. It is pricey, but it flows well. I once lined the interior of a small tumbler with it and it held up well.

darryl
04-03-2009, 07:30 PM
There's a two part moulding rubber that would work well, and it's very pourable for some time after it's mixed. Maybe a crafts person would sell you some in small quantity if you bring containers. What I have is called GI-1000 silicone rubber, and the catalyst is mixed at a 10% ratio. Good stuff.

barts
04-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Gorilla glue is a polyurethane; better grades of construction adhesive are as well. You might try picking up a tube of such at a local home supply store...

- Bart

Rich Carlstedt
04-03-2009, 08:59 PM
I believe you want RTV
This is a rubber made in two parts and is very flowable for a short time after mixing. They are rated by the term 'Durometer" which is rubber hardness, with 80 being quite hard and 20 being very soft ( there are all kinds of grades in between)
It depends on the flex you want.

The attached photo is an axle box on my scale locomotive
I bored out the box and inserted a sleeve for the outer race of a needle bearing. Then I poured RTV (60 or 70 ?) between them and it hardened in 24 hours.
The RTV allows the bearing assembly to "float" while restricting the outer race from turning. The RTV is white in the photo.
The work was done in 1982 and this photo was taken during an inspection I made last year.
Still running well !

Rich
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/StationarySteam/Train%20Stuff/P6170034.jpg

PTSideshow
04-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Here you go will fill all your needs, http://www.biosafe-inc.com/e6000.htm
Great stuff have used it for years.
If you need a second choice one of this Brands versions will work http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infadh/infgoo.html
Both are sold at the big box stores around here.
:D

bob ward
04-03-2009, 10:44 PM
The single tube polyurethane adhesives, there are a million and one varieties at the ironmongers, will work, but viscosity is the enemy for your application. It may be possible to thin the material by heating the tube in hot water - take all the usual precautions. I've not tried this myself, but I'm thinking that because the cure of the 1 part urethanes is moisture initiated - it gets a sniff of moisture from the atmosphere to start the curing reaction as it goes into the job - heat is not going to unduly affect the short amount of working time you will need.

Two part polyurethane elastomers will definitely do the job, the finished product can be hard or soft depending on what you need. The two components are quite viscous at room temperature and are heated to I think 80C to thin them for mixing and pouring. Depending on the brew, you typically have a 5 to 10 minute pot life. They will stick to your clean metal tubes like sh*t to a blanket

After telling you this, getting hold of 2 part PU elastomers in small quantities is probably the hard part, and there is a small learning curve. People who make polyurethane suspension bushes and the like could be a source. Or maybe give them the parts and they can do it for you.

rws
04-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Thank you all. I'm sure one of the suggestions will work, I'll have to look them up and the availability. Deadening vibrations between the two parts is my goal, and something here will work!