PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply Questions

davidfe
04-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I just picked up a Mean Well SE-600-24 power supply.

I can power it up. The green LED lights up and the cooling fan comes on.

However, when I try to test the voltage with a digital multimeter set to 200 vdc, it does not show any output voltage.

I am using the case as ground and have tested the three (3) positive (+) and the three negative (-) terminals. The dvm only shows zero (0) voltage.

The input selector is set to 110 V.

The information from the manufacturer is located at -

http://www.meanwell.com/search/SE-600/default.htm

What am I doing incorrectly? Or, is it defective?

I see on the output end of the power supply, there is an connector showing S+ and S-. Am clueless what this is for. Same with the adjustment labeled CN.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

J Tiers
04-04-2009, 10:42 AM
1) Try from + to -. It may not be connected to the case.

2) put some sort of load on it, some don't like no-load, although most general purpose types should be OK with that.

Lew Hartswick
04-04-2009, 10:53 AM
The outputs are definately from the + to the - terminal. The S terms
are for remote sensing of the out put voltage. ( so drop in the leads
can be compensated for) Are there jumpers on the +S to +output and
-S to - output?
...lew...

davidfe
04-04-2009, 10:59 AM
1) Try from + to -. It may not be connected to the case.

2) put some sort of load on it, some don't like no-load, although most general purpose types should be OK with that.

The block diagram show two outputs + and -. They appear to be only the line portion of the output. I believe what I think the block diagram shows is correct.

http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=12071a135eecee80

Barrington
04-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi,

The block diagram is correct. The output is floating - there should be 24 volts between the + and - terminals, but the meter won't read anything when connected between the case and either terminal. (Imagine it as a battery 'floating' in mid air...)

(Don't be confused by the ground connections at the output filter capacitors - they're just there to get rid of high frequency noise on the output.)

'CN4' refers to 'connector 4' also labelled as 'RS' for 'remote sense'. not the trimmer which will just fine adjust the output voltage. No need to worry about connecting RS to make it work.

Hope this helps.

davidfe
04-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi,

The block diagram is correct. The output is floating - there should be 24 volts between the + and - terminals, but the meter won't read anything when connected between the case and either terminal. (Imagine it as a battery 'floating' in mid air...)

(Don't be confused by the ground connections at the output filter capacitors - they're just there to get rid of high frequency noise on the output.)

'CN4' refers to 'connector 4' also labelled as 'RS' for 'remote sense'. not the trimmer which will just fine adjust the output voltage. No need to worry about connecting RS to make it work.

Hope this helps.

Bingo,

Just tried it and got 23.9 with no load. I am slow on the uptake. Your
explantion sure helped.

J. Tiers - Thanks for your help too.

My stroke sure makes my reasoning and memory a little less than it used to be.

Thanks to you all.

David