PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating A Starrett Digi-Check Height Master

Neil Jones
04-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I purchased a used one of these and it binds. What do I use for a lubricating oil and what do I adjust to remove the bind? The gage blocks are also dirty. What is the proper way to clean them?

Alan in Oz
04-05-2009, 07:57 AM
If this is the type with the mechanical digital micrometer head Model 258 then it should be the same as mine, the gauge block stack is sprung loaded against the micrometer head shaft. I would doubt this is binding, more probably the mic shaft. You can pull the gauge block stack off the mic head and check each in turn. Minimal lube req, I use very light sewing machine oil if the proper instrument oil not avbl. Cleaning white spirits not sure what its called in the US.

chief
04-05-2009, 08:04 AM
http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/groups.asp?GroupID=506

Starret instrument oil

Neil Jones
04-08-2009, 02:10 AM
I think the problem is the plastic gear that is used for the mechanical readout is binding. Going to clean it and put a fresh coat of lithium grease on it.

RWL
11-21-2016, 05:52 PM
How do you adjust it? Mine is waaay out and it's clear somebody's monkeyed with it. How do you set the zero point?

oldtiffie
11-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Let the dog see the rabbit.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Starrett+Digi-Check+Height+Master&rls=com.microsoft:en-AU:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7IRFC_enAU360&biw=1280&bih=585&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8x_3R1r3QAhVHQY8KHUkpADcQ_AUIBSgA&dpr=1.5

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Starrett+Digi-Check+Height+Master&rls=com.microsoft:en-AU:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7IRFC_enAU360&biw=1280&bih=585&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiM0OzW1r3QAhWMto8KHbQEArMQ_AUICSgC

RWL
11-22-2016, 09:40 PM
oldtiffie, not sure what you meant by your post. I didn't find anything useful in the links. I was in contact with Starrett and they sent me the zeroing procedure. I'm going to need to go beyond that. Currently, when the gage stack is in the 1" position, the micrometer reads about 0.9622 and the digits read .008. I will need to pull the micrometer dial out of the top and I'll need to set the digits to zero. As a starter, what's the procedure for removing the micrometer head?

Mcgyver
11-22-2016, 10:22 PM
oldtiffie, not sure what you meant by your post. I didn't find anything useful in the links.

64 posts so you may be sort of new - you'll soon learn there isn't. He incessantly posts links of google searches for whatever words rattle through is cerebellum.

90LX_Notch
11-23-2016, 08:09 AM
RWL i sent you a pm.

RWL
11-23-2016, 09:36 AM
64 posts so you may be sort of new - you'll soon learn there isn't. He incessantly posts links of google searches for whatever words rattle through is cerebellum.

Thanks for the info. I don't log on here regularly. I recognize both of your and oldtiffies names though from other posts in the past. I'd pretty much been through all the searches to find anything about how to fix these and this is one of the few on the net that mentions anything about somebody actually working on these.

For others that may be reading this in the future, I uploaded pdf's of documents that Starrett sent me to the Metalworking dropbox under Starrett Digi-Check. It should be 'Chek', but I misspelled it. The documents are the owners manual, parts breakdown (which apparently doesn't cover the variations in my model) and a sheet on how to adjust the zero. Unfortunately, somebody was inside this thing before and both the digits and micrometer are going to need to be adjusted from what I can see at this time.

RWL
11-23-2016, 09:39 AM
RWL i sent you a pm.

Thanks. I replied.

JRouche
11-23-2016, 03:27 PM
For others that may be reading this in the future, I uploaded pdf's of documents that Starrett sent me to the Metalworking dropbox under Starrett Digi-Check.

Got the files there, thanks.. I have a couple of these and never used them due to not knowing how. And more than likely they are outta whack, I didnt pay much.. JR