PDA

View Full Version : Small Chop saw ?

Boucher
04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
My wife had some business next door to Harbor Freight so rather than sit in the car I went in to look. There was what appeared to be a minature version of a 14" Abrasive cut off saw. It had a bout 3" cut off blade mounted on a small electric motor. I would like to build or buy something like that. HF screwed me a long time ago and I vowed to never allow them the opportunity to do it a second time. So are there other tools like this around? If you were going to build one what kind of motor would you look for so the abrasive dust wouldn't eat it up?

TECHSHOP
04-07-2009, 10:06 PM
There are a few stamped sheet metal stand that will mount a 4" or 4.5" angle grinder to do the same thing. I have seen this type of stand for a 6" angle grinder. I used one of the larger size stands to mount a "twin cutter" to get a square cut.

I don't think that there is a "high quality" version of that HF little saw on the market, but you can pick your color from several other vendors.

Roy Andrews
04-07-2009, 10:55 PM
not wanting to destroy my good dewalt angle grinders cutting tile and stone with a diamond blade. i got 10 cheap angle grinders off e-bay for $60. they are purple with very stiff cords when its cold. i put new grease in the heads of all of them when i got them and after treating them as disposable they all still run. when my arms get to tire to hold up the 9" i will break out one of them and run it into the ground. they wont die. get one and make a arm to hose clamp it to and your set.

gmatov
04-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Boucher,

Being HF, wha'd they screw you out of? 12 bucks?

So poke a stick in your own eye. That tiny little "chop saw" will work on non ferrous metals. Do NOT try it on steel. Teeth are gone in an instant.

Been there, done that. Argued, they opened a 3 pack of blades and gave me a new one. I told them I would buy the other 2 for 2/3 the cost of the 3 pack. "We can't do that. It will go on clearance rack." 10 bucks for 3 pack, they gave me one, the other 2 sale priced at 6 bucks. So saved a few pennies, but it amounts to they are idjits with their pricing.

It works like hell for cutting brass. Cut many hundreds of brass rail clamps for my g'son's garden train track. Same blade is still like new.

You may, of course, be talking about a 3 inch abrasive saw. I don't think I have ever seen one of them. Mine is a steel blade device.

My abrasive cutoff is a six inch that is over 60 years old. THAT works well, too.

Cheers,

George

macona
04-08-2009, 04:38 AM
Those little chop saws work pretty good. I got some abrasive cut off wheels from the local tool supply store that were the same dimensions as the steel blades that come with it. Soon I was chopping away at stainless tubing.

Circlip
04-08-2009, 05:14 AM
The mini-chopsaws comprise :-

a) A motor

b) A pivot/holder for a)

c) A cut off medium either abrasive or metal saw.

Not much to go wrong with the forst two providing you're not cleaving, so putting in a better grade of c) than the one supplied???? We normally do this with the band saw blades that come with the machines??

'Tain't Atlas 5 fodder is it??

Regards Ian.

PTSideshow
04-08-2009, 06:01 AM
I have had, the mounting sheet metal attachment for the 4" angle grinders. A lot of slop but what do you what for under $10.00.

I have the small 2" one as been stated with an abrasive disc or better blade Steel tooth it goes and goes.

I also have the 6"chop saw with the abrasive disc works great for small dia thin wall.

They all work well for what they are designed for.

First off HF is all stores every one owned by the founding family.

There is no franchise stores or other. So all policies come on down from corporate.

They have a manager that does the mark downs.

It is what it is a low cost, light to medium duty depending on the price and duty rating of which you buy. They aren't made for trade use for the price.

And all the other brands colors of the tools made off shore, are made by the same factories. And the other sell em at higher prices.

Boucher
04-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Gmatov Quote Being HF, wha'd they screw you out of? 12 bucks?

Long time ago I ordered some stuff from HF in New York. I Sent them a company check which they cashed. Next I get this notice from a Bankrupcy court Judge telling me that I am on the debtors list and need to file my claim etc. I don't remember the amount but it was more than $12. Banker once told me if you deal with crooks you eventually get crooked. I been crooked.

PTSideshow
04-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Gmatov Quote Being HF, wha'd they screw you out of? 12 bucks?

Long time ago I ordered some stuff from HF in New York. I Sent them a company check which they cashed. Next I get this notice from a Bankrupcy court Judge telling me that I am on the debtors list and need to file my claim etc. I don't remember the amount but it was more than $12. Banker once told me if you deal with crooks you eventually get crooked. I been crooked.

I don't think that it is the same HF, As they started out on the west coast in Carmallio Ca and they also have a distribution center in N C/ I don't think they ever had an office in New York. The stores across the country are a fairly recent phenom

Boucher
04-08-2009, 03:54 PM
My Apologies if I bad mouthed the wrong people.

Norman Atkinson
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Ian( Circlip)
from Next Thursday, Lidl has 30 angle grinders and cut off stands(cast stuff) for 10.
Not on their internet offers but printed and list picked up on Monday last.

Cheers

N

PTSideshow
04-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Ian( Circlip)
from Next Thursday, Lidl has 30 angle grinders and cut off stands(cast stuff) for 10.
Not on their internet offers but printed and list picked up on Monday last.

Cheers

N

To bad the Alidi's Here in the states don't have the same class of tools or the wide selection of tools. As yours does, they are opening a new one around the corner. If they can get the walls to stay up, so they can brick em. the metal studs have blown down on 3 different occasions :eek:
Other than food some toys and basic hammer/screwdriver sets the best thing here in the states is the wicked dark Belgian chocolate they sell!

Norman Atkinson
04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
PTS,
I'm a bit baffled by your spelling but I guess that the Belgian chocolates sort of clinches it.
We have Aldi, Lidl and Netto as cheapies but they are food shops but with hardware and tooling etc offered each week as specials.
They are not Brit but European. There IS a subtle difference!

I've been dealing with them for more than 10 years but in Germany and Austria for Aldi and longer for Lidl in France.

I was reviewing them and noted that they have spread into the Far East.

The nice thing is that they offer a three year warranty for tooling.

Enjoy the Bordeaux AOC Reds and the Cotes de Rhone AOC wines.
( not that I would drink them- of course)

Hic

Norm

gmatov
04-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Norman,

They, Aldi's, have only, to my knowledge, been here less than 10 years. They DO sell staples for much less than our main line supermarkets. Bread, bad as all of ours is, for half the price.

Much more, of the staple variety, for cheap. There is little or no difference in a bag of sugar, but theirs is 20% cheaper, at minimum, than the biggies.

2 pound bag of frozen chips for 1.29 and names 2.99. I buy there, but, of course, I am getting to an old cheap fart.

I almost wish I lived in a state that allowed them to sell wine. I hear that their "2 Buck Chuck" is a decent wine..Costs me more than that to make my own. I like mine, though.

I think that Karl and Theo Albrecht still have a net worth of about 40 billion dollars. They are no longer partners, tho' they are competing for the same buyers. Aldi's and Trader Joe's, in the US, other places, I don't know how they compete. Fiercely, I would presume.

Cheers,

George

Norman Atkinson
04-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Hi George! Nice to hear those grumpy old tones once again.
Of course you're dead right about Aldi. The prices ARE rising in the UK and the rest of Europe but Aldi has massive purchasing powers and it is odd to see the same products popping up in the UK and then France, then Germany, then Spain and so on right up to the USSR. Are they there? Don't know but they are into what was the Eastern bloc.

Whilst the quality is not top notch, it is sually more than sufficient to do quite a number of jobs- and then chuck it out after a job well done!

I was in Garmish Partenkirchen in Germany's Aldi-Sud and they were doing holidays. What next?

In these days of economic anxieties( or being a meaner, tite arsed git), I am all for healthy competition.

Meantime, have a happy Easter.

Cheers

from the other old fart

N

Peter S
04-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Here is a nice little unit we use for cutting keysteel. It is made by Bosch (TT-23) and holds a ordinary 125mm (5") angle grinder. It is not sheetmetal, but light alloy, probably die-cast. It is permanently set-up in the machinery assembly area so fitters can make keys as required.
BTW, we use very thin cut-off discs, less than 1mm (approx .030"), the thinner the better for this type of work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/PeterS/Boschgrinder01-red.jpg

Circlip
04-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Norm, can you sequence your offers in proper English.

You KNOW my preference for frugality (Yorkshireman and all that).

You wrote " Lidl has 30 angle grinders and cut off stands(cast stuff) for 10."

You MEANT "Angle grinders for 30 and cut off stands for 10"

I was halfway to getting the tent out and loading the car with food. Diamond blades look good too.

Regards Ian.

Just had a look at Aldi for the 16th as well, one or two interesting bits.

Patch
04-09-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.micromark.com/